1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexplained Capture Stoppages

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by nobbyc, Mar 28, 2005.

1. nobbyc

nobbyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a Canon MV750i which PC recognises via Firewire connection and I can always start video capture. It will generally then stop at random for no apparent reason, sometimes seizing/crashing PC.

I understand that my spec is okay: AMD 2200+, 140 gb available HDD space (7600rpm & 8 mb Cache) 512mb RAM, Windows XP SP2 etc so can't fathom out why this happens.

Have tried with WMM, Ulead 5 & 8, Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD 8 & Roxio but the same thing happens. Recently reformatted HDD so can confirm that this occurs with no software loaded other than XP. I note that system will not recognize Camcorder if Canon's drivers are installed so have to use those in XP.

Any ideas out there? Does your graphics card make any difference to capture?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    A few questions that might help to narrow things down:

Is your HDD formatted as FAT32 or NTSC? FAT file systems can not capture very large files. Reformat to NTSC (if not already) and you can capture until the HDD is full.
    Make sure the HDD has been defragmented and that DMA has been enabled in Device Manager.
    Make sure that there are no CD or DVD drives connected to the same IDE channel as your HDD. HDD should be on primary channel and boot disc should be device 0.
    If possible install a second HDD on the primary IDE channels as device 1. Do not install any programs on this device, only use it for your captured & edited footage.

What else is running on the PC? You should stop all background programs such as antivirus & firewall etc and power save modes & screen savers. Even Windows itself runs loads of unwanted background programs. I use a free program called EndItAll2 to stop all those programs in the background. Have a search for it, but if you can't find it let me have your e-mail address (via a PM) and I'll forward it on to you.

Your graphics card will have no direct effect on capture.

Mark.

3. nobbyc

nobbyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding - I can confirm that:

HDD is NTSC & Defragged & Device 0.
    Have slave HDD for captured video - set up as above.
    CD/DVD drives on IDE secondary channel.

I was under the impression that I had all programs switched off but may have missed something - I'll try & find enditall2 to see if that helps.

Nobby.

4. nobbyc

nobbyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried enditall2 but still get the same problem although it's amazing how much is normally running in background.

Anyone got any other ideas?

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Did you check if DMA was enabled for your HDD?

Mark.

6. nobbyc

nobbyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - both drives

7. nobbyc

nobbyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of DMA - in system info it says that IEEE1394 connection is an IRQ and is not listed under the DMA heading. Does this mean anything?