1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected return: Sony KLV32M1 or Philips PF9986?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BillSykes, Jan 15, 2005.

1. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, I'm stuck!

Originally I couldn't decide between the Sony KLV32M1 and the Panasonic TX32LXD1. I posted my dilemma here and was very helpfully directed towards the Philips PF9986. The reviews of the Philips are awesome!

I've discounted the Panasonic as it just hasn't made the grade in the reviews. But . . . the Sony has just been reviewed in the "guide to the best LCD's" in WHAT PLASMA and LCD (which I read like a pleb in WHSmith without purchasing the copy - I mean what's the point I only wanted to read that page and anyway all the managers were reading LOADED and NUTS and ACORNS magazines! It's hardly encouraging, is it?)

So, the point . . . having not located the Philips in Curry's (helpful assistant, willing and doubtless keen for reward but, if you want a gold star you really should work at McDonalds - and with that acne he would glide/slide/squelch home at interview) I was encouraged to give the Sony a chance.

The Sony centre is nearby the WHSmiths (now full of shuffling managers - they really should give them macks, don't you think?) so I popped in. Luckily I was clutching two DVD's to test out the screen and after 25 minutes scrabbling with cables, the screen was ready to be tested . . .

Unbelievably good!

Happy? I nearly changed my bag!

This was not good, I have my mind set on a Philips, what is going on? Surely now I must see the Philips in action - the picture will mesmerise me (like Sir Hiss in Robin Hood) but, I need to find one. Off to Comet it is.

On arrival I am greeted by the local troupe of cubs, sorry, assistants and naturally infoirmed none of them deals with TV's but they will send someone along. I suspect he was probably sewing on his "I'm tall enough to rollercoaster so I can talk to customers" badge. Anyway in this LCD Mecca I locate both the Sony and the Philps.

The Sony looks as before (which for me is lush, fits into my living room, comes in black, matches my Sony DVD player and is all things Sony) the Philips . . .

What is it?

Is it just me but I'm not impressed. Now I may have become too "Sony lifestyle" but this screen just isn't floating my boat. So the assistant (having removed his thimble) comes to my assistance. Now, having posted my earlier question and scoured the AVForums, I am armed with my knowledge.

I wouldn't say he was a casualty but the end result of my visit to Comet was that they couldn't set the Philips up to progressive scan; were slightly surprised that I didn't accept their explanation that no Philips TV's accept progressive or component input (apparently it's a Philips thing " ") and when I suggested that the adaptor came in the box he was spechless. But in a young, willing yoothfull way (and I'm not looking at this through glam rock spectacles!) he offered to see if he could set it up to a progressive input for me to view at a later date.

In fairness, the assistant was helpful but the LCD was just not set up to be shown off.

Now, for me I have an unepected dilemma. I was happy to purchase the Philips until I saw it. I haven't seen it set up to function properly and the Sony I have seen has blown me away. Clearly I have to see the Philips set up but it's going to have to be astounding to justify the (to me) aesthitically callous design.

Please help me as those of you out there with the Philips are raving about it and I so want to comprehend what I am missing?

Is it that good - please tell me yes and how I can ignore the fascia.

Many thanks.

PS. It has been an exceptionally good claret. Good year too . . .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds like you want to buy the Sony. Go for it. It is not the forum members job to convince you one way or the other. We put forward our opinions. Opinions some of us have made rashly, others after many weeks of rediculous, exhaustive research.

You're a flamouyant character Mr Sykes, so I am surprised you dislike the slightly outrageous looks of the Philips with its theatrical ambilight...and prefer the dowdy Sony. Anyway, just as well we don't all like the same things...

However, and most importantly, you'll have noticed that the members of this forum rattle on endlessly about a Trio of manufacturers products. Namely Philips, Toshiba and Sharp. (Tevion too...thanks to Aldi). Sony rarely gets a mention.

Why?.....you ask yourself.

Answer. Sony have gone to great efforts to produce beautiful looking TV's that produce good pictures. But they have also gone to great efforts to drop the ball spectacularly by failing to make them High Definition Ready. Silly beyond comprehension. These current Sonys will be obsolete within months, if they aren't already.

Picture Quality. I did the rediculous, exhaustive research bit a short time ago and compared all the main contenders, and a good few others, side by side. The Philips was my favourite. If you do the same and prefer the Sony then that is what you should buy.

It's up to you.....not us.

Jimmy

3. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,363
    I've seen the Sony a few times (although not set up that well) but yet to see the Phillips in all it's glory.

How can you ignore the facia!

Holy Moly, The Phillips won't win any beauty competitions but the Sony is god awful ugly (imo). Especially when compared to it's absolutely fabulously looking big brother (32MRX1) :D

4. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pretty much ditto what Jimsan said on my part.

I have seen the Sony and the Philips (which I ended up getting)... Sony with DVD which looked quite good (i guess as it is its native resolution). And the Philips, which, well, I ended up buying.

Im starting to warm to the size and design of the philips. The ambilight makes it look quite elegant. The Sony, i thought, looked a bit plasticy for me.

I think maybe you should think about what you view on it (a lot of Sky TV?) - does the Hi Definition appeal to you?

Ive played a few HD movies on my screen (and on my 50inch Panny plasma)... and having that extra resolution, and knowing the future of HD is just round the corner excites me.

So, i got the philips. And if you have a decent DVD player, running thru at least component, it looks awesome. And if your thinking of getting a new dvd player aswell, check out the Panasonic S97 with HDMI output.

My opinion. On the whole very happy with the Philips, just wished I had the room for the 37". :thumbsup:

5. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right, I am determined to see the Philips in all it's glory!

Thanks for your advice and guidance it is clear to me that the Philips warrants the effort.

Now, the effort I am going to have to make is to guide the shop assistant at Comet through the set up process for me to see progressive scan. (Did anyone ever find out why Philips omitted the component connection or do you think they "Just told Sid"?)

So, I throw myself at your mercy, and ask for a no-brainer guide to connecting progressive scan to the DVI input. Will I need to buy my own adaptors or what sort of adaptor should I direct them towards?

I am keen to see the Philips, and my local Comet has the Philips right next to the Sony. Actually the John Lewis near my office has them next to each other but the assistant was even more scared of me than the assistant at Comet! Still, if John Lewis does a price match I could make the purchase best value and did I hear that you get a 5 year guarantee at JL?

As before, your help is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

PS. No hangover, ahhh the benefits of a decadent lifestyle (with or without Sony ;-) . . .

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK Bill,

First, make sure the set they have on display is a v2.1 firmware version. Do this by looking round the back of the set. Here you'll find a wee sticker. At the bpttom there is a small box with a big S. Beside that a few letters. Mine says FTL2.1. If it says XXX1.3 and not 2.1 then forget it. This is one of the pre-update models and Progressive won't work!

If it is 2.1 then carry on to the next bit.

The DVD player has to be set to output Progressive. The TV will have a Component/VGA/DVI adapter in its box. (Plooky Yoof may struggle here..) These adapters are not common, so if its not in the box, then your knackered. It will be in the box of new sets, but Comet will likely have lost it! (This adapter is not included with the v1.3 sets.)

If they do have it, then connect the DVD player to the component adapter like this. Red/Red, Yellow/Blue, White/Green. Plug the DVD into the DVI on the TV, turn TV on, select DVI from the input selection and as long as the DVD player is playing Progressively, you'll have a picture. You'll need a component lead by the way - Comet will have this, but don't buy it from them unless you can't be bothered getting one elsewhere.

Sounds complicated, but it isn't really. Have your favourite 2.35:1 movies with you to get the best results.

If that all works I'll be stunned!

Good Luck!

Jimmy

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :suicide: you read and listen to reviews :nono:

8. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually that last bit isn't true. When I bought my set it was version 1.3 and it had the adapter. But as I was going to be buying an HDMI/DVI DVD player anyway, I wasn't that bothered about inputting progressive scan via component anyway.

When fed a decent signal, this set is stunning!

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Billsykes,
    Did you get around to checking out the Sharps? They should be on your shortlist as well.

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I believe the v1.3 only comes with a DVI/VGA adapter, not the DVI/VGA/Component you need with the v2.1 set.

Jimmy

11. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops, my bad!

Just checked my cupboard full of unused leads and have found that you are correct! Now I gotta get these damn leads back in, it seems no matter how carefully I put them in the always get tangled.....

12. Boggy

Boggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just wanted to confrim that the KLV32M1 Tv will accept a HD signal through the component conections

Boggy

13. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whoa there gents!

Thanks for the replies, the advice is helping me evaluate my options and helping me avoid making a hasty/rash decision.

UPDATE: I went to Comet again this afternoon. Before going I wrote down how to connect up the Philips to accept a progressive input (thanks for that Jimsan). I even remembered to take my chosen DVD with me - hmmm, well actually I drove half a mile, turned back and asked my divine girlfriend to throw it out to the car for me as I drove past (Bit like a drive by shooting, except I was the target - anyway I digress (You know, she doesn't want to talk about TV's much nowadays and I'm sure the DVD hitting me in the face was deliberate?). So, I get to Comet . . .

Both the Sony and the Philips are still there waiting to impress me. I ask for assistance and I get it (I think they must be allowed to wear long trousers on a Sunday?). Now the young Dodger was very helpful, after a very brief moment of denial he accepted that if he got a new LCD out there may be an adapter inside the box. Or, at the very least, after looking in the box one or other of us would have cause to look smug.

The newly boxed Philips arrives and we find an adaptor . . . (Isn't hindsight wonderful, when I get home I read that there are two types of adapter that may be found) . . . the adapter (and my terminology may be wrong here but,) has a large oval metal dogcollar with needles in it (DGI?) on one side and it's nephew, a smaller oval metal dogcollar with holes in it (VGA?) on the otherside. Both have been screwed into the stocks too.

So, despite my momentary amusement at the tortured sides of the adapter I am left unable to try progressive scan on the Philips.

Now, to be fair, Master Dodger then humoured me by setting up the Philips by scart and then the Sony by scart so that I could compare them. My DVD, by the way, is The Crimson Rivers, which at chapter 19 has a very dark fast scene ("The Killer Escapes!") that I thought would be a good test.

Not a lot in it, I have to say. Of course Artful, being clever, then shows me the same scene on the Sony through progressive scan. Jeez! Anybody can stick three pins in three holes! But, this showed me three things 1) I had seen pixilation on the Sony when fed through the scart and this disappeared when fed progressively (is that the right term or have I hust made that word up?) 2) PROGRESSIVE IS IT! 3) I keep looking at the Philips - you see I took jimsans settings for his TV (plagarised from another thread - thanks for that jimsan ;-) and set them on the Philips. The picture is nice, has that "real" look to it but it is crisper and stands out from the rest of the store. Partly because it isn't set to the harsh brightness of all the other TV's in the store (What does Fagin do with the boys? Teach them all that TV's should look like TRON, period!)

Now, don't get me wrong, for source material, rendition of the film and what I want to see in my own home when I watch DVD's the Sony is the business. But compared to all the other multi-fed screens to my right the Philips is just doggin' them all . . .

So, I just have to see the Philips with a progressive feed! Now, this adapter lark, what am I going to do? Do I need to buy a VGA to component adapter? Should I have checked the newly boxed set (because it may have been a v1.3 - the display model was 2.1) more thouroughly? Will Fred put Dino out and himself be locked out agian? Should there be two adapters in the box? Am I looking for an adapter that has a large clergyman on one side and three holes on the other? Am I looking for two adapters to "get intimate" and then plug into their three sockets? And, how do you spell thouroughly anyway?

Gentlemen, forgive my very forward (and possibly demanding) manner, I do not mean any disrespect or ingratitude to you. Your helpful advice has been well received by me and I would be very grateful for any advice you can now see your way to providing me in this, my current time of need.

Many thanks.

PS. Boggy, if the Sony does take an HD signal is this all a waste of time?

PPS. Jimg. What, don't you think I'm struggling enough with two manufacturers already?

PPPS. Tonight it is a lovely Sangiovese from Italy (where the pizzas come from). A bit harsh and a lot of tannin but still drinkable . . .

14. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Philips (2.1) comes with 1 adaptor and 1 lead (adaptor).

The adaptor is the VGA to DVI this then plugs into the other lead (adaptor) with 3 phono sockets (red, white & yellow) and the other end VGA - stick the two VGA ends together.

With a component lead (which doesnt come with the tv), is 3 phono to 3 phono. Red, Blue & Green. One end goes to the dvd player...

Plug the other end of the component lead to the 3 phono ended lead (adaptor) that came with the telly and you have a component... a very long way round might I add (thanks Philips!).

I cant remember tho which colour goes to which... Jimsan? You'll know this one...

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Philips really have made life difficult with this have they not?

OK Bill. as Matt says, the TV you'll get delivered to your house will have the Component/VGA/DVI adapter in it. OK? This is a very ugly, poor quality bodge up that comprises a DVI/VGA adapter plus a Component/VGA adapter. You plug them together then plug a further Component lead (you buy) into this. My what a mess....but it does work. Version 1.3 sets were superceded in October last year, so it is very unlikely you'll be landed with one of those.

As mentioned in my previous, pre Comet, post, Connect Red to Red, Blue to Yellow and Green to White.

Another factor in this whole scenario is the 'Ambilight'. Your gorgeous girlfriend will be sold when she sees this bit of lighting trickery! There is nothing else on the market like it. A darkened room, a good sound system, your favourite movie, a glass of wine, a gorgeous woman, the Philips generating breathtaking images not only on the screen, but all around the room! It has got to be seen to be believed.

Boggy, as far as I'm aware, no Sony TV marketed in the UK is HDCP fluent.

Bill, buy the TV from Empire Direct or John Lewis or somebody who'll accept it back without any fuss if you don't like it. All E retailers are required by law to accept returns from customers without quibbles.

Go for it...

Jimmy

16. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I amazed that anyone puts up with this mess from Philips. Why can they not get it right in the first place, most other manufacturers can. On the Sharp you have Scarts, DVI, Component that ALL work as is! :eek:

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Quite simple really jimg, it's worth it!

Sure Philips have made a balls of the DVI connection. For some reason, they made a serious gaff during the design stage and forgot the Component inputs! Rediculous really. Anyway, credit to them at least for doing the upgrade, however upsetting it has been for a number of people... They could just have left it at that in much the same way as Sony have with their complete lack of HDTV compatibility! This omission by Sony is beyond belief!

Anyway, the Philips turns in a fantastic performance, once you've guddled your way through the connections, and is well worth the effort.

Jimmy

18. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If you can afford the Sony and cherish its designer looks, desire the performance of the Philips, require the array of inputs of the Sharp, second to none audio capabilities combined with unequalled upgradeability; have you looked at the Loewe Spheros 32 ~ £3600?

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    'The performance of the Philips....' In your dreams!

At £3400 it should outperform the Philips as well as everything else. But it doesn't. It's good, but not that good.

It, and its big brother, the Xelos, sure are good looking TV's though.

Jimmy