• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Unexpected coax connector for RF


Novice Member
Stupid question coming up - my new place has what looks like a suitable coax cable in place to extend the TV aerial signal to the upstairs bedroom. The downstairs connector is the expected UHF/RF TV aerial type for connecting to a booster box. However, where the cable emerges upstairs the connector is what I think is an SMA type (male). Bit of googling suggests this might have been to plug into a USB tuner or something like that? Anyway, to connect to a freeview TV/STB, would I need an SMB-RF adaptor, or can I simply replace the connector?

Any help appreciated :)

Alan Mac

Prominent Member
. However, where the cable emerges upstairs the connector is what I think is an SMA type (male).

I think it is very unlikely to be an SMA connector which is a professional connector for coaxial cable use at microwave frequencies.

More likely to be an “F” type connector (which is larger than an SMA type). Adaptors from “F” type to “Belling Lee” (the common RF Terrestrial TV connector) are readily available.


Alan Mac

Prominent Member
Out of interest what kind of kit would a male F type normally connect up to?

Primarily to domestic satellite receivers but also sometimes used as the aerial input connector to terrestrial TV receivers (in place of the old “Belling-Lee” type.

“F” type connectors are nominally 75 Ω impedance and have a reasonably good performance up to about 3 GHz.

SMA connectors are 50 Ω and are usable to around 18 GHz.


The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom