Uneven kitchen floor

yorkshirecath

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice as builders are back tomorrow.
Currently having a new kitchen fitted. I told them when they came to give me a quote the floor was a nightmare. Where the old house meets the new extention it's very wonky and parts are chipboard and parts concrete, it's horrible. In the past we've had laminate and lino and it's been thinly ply boarded to make it manageable.
This time I'd like ceramic tiles so he said he'd need to make it a bit more level and so added a 9mm board which for the most part is ok.
But we've just had patio doors fitted and I can see that if I go with ceramic tiles now it looks as if the tiles will be slightly higher than the glass in the patio doors which s not going to work.
Can anyone offer any advice what I can do?
Thanks

Hmmm so what does that actually do?

Go with LVT instead.

9mm ply isn't really suitable prep for ceramic tiles anyway.

Isn't LVT those sticky tiles that just end up peeling off? The builder and tiler both said to put the 9mm down in prep for ceramic tiles?

Hmmm so what does that actually do?

The way I see it you definitely want the tiles, the problem is that you can tile all the way to the patio door, so, by placing this next to the doors you creat a mini ramp up to the tile and the problem as described is reduced.

Appreciate it's not ideal, but, I think its certainly cheap, easily available (so won't cause delays) and effective.

I thought exactly the same by the way about the ply, I.e not ideal but, probably ok. Has the tiler seen the floor or, is the person who out the floor down the same as the tiler.

Appreciate comments about the ply and the realisation that the floor is to high can be a concern, that said, a every biggish project like this will always have hiccups but they always turn out fine and to the full satisfaction of the person having the work done

Good luck
Mark

Im still not sure how it would work as, if the tiles would be too high above the bottom of the patio doors this would be the same wouldn't it as a tile would need to fit up to it? Does this fit flush to the patio door or something?
My issue with the LVT flooring is that even though it has been plyed you can still feel the floor is uneven underfoot in certain areas and I feel ceramic would make this feel better whereas something thinner will make it more noticeable.
The tiler has seen the floor plyed yes and said it would be fine. The builder was also going to use self levelling stuff but he said it wasn't needed

Hi. this butts up to the patio doors and creates a small creates a small wide ramp up to the tiles, thus, the tils are about set back about 1cm from the patio doors, thus helping them blend in and, significantly better that before as it helps with a finished look.

Isn't LVT those sticky tiles that just end up peeling off? The builder and tiler both said to put the 9mm down in prep for ceramic tiles?

Go and have a look at some floor showrooms.

No, 9mm ply is undersized. 12mm minimum and even that is too thin because most tile adhesive manufacturers recommend 15mm.

Im still not sure how it would work as, if the tiles would be too high above the bottom of the patio doors this would be the same wouldn't it as a tile would need to fit up to it? Does this fit flush to the patio door or something?
My issue with the LVT flooring is that even though it has been plyed you can still feel the floor is uneven underfoot in certain areas and I feel ceramic would make this feel better whereas something thinner will make it more noticeable.
The tiler has seen the floor plyed yes and said it would be fine. The builder was also going to use self levelling stuff but he said it wasn't needed

The ply would be latexed before the LVT. It's a mirror finish.

Or if it's properly ply' then sometimes the joints are just feathered in.

Hi. this butts up to the patio doors and creates a small creates a small wide ramp up to the tiles, thus, the tils are about set back about 1cm from the patio doors, thus helping them blend in and, significantly better that before as it helps with a finished look.
Wouldn't it still be higher than the glass but just with a gap between it and the patio doors? And what would you fill that with?

The ply would be latexed before the LVT. It's a mirror finish.

Or if it's properly ply' then sometimes the joints are just feathered in.
Ok thanks for that. Will have a word with our builder and tiler

Just out of interest does LVT mark like Lino?

Wouldn't it still be higher than the glass but just with a gap between it and the patio doors? And what would you fill that with?

Not quite, it's is tricky to explain, at one edge this is lower by about the the thickness of the tile, so, the low edge would butt up against the patio door and the other edge which is higher would be flush with the tiles.

Imagine You had the two floor surfaces next to each other and one floor surface was 1cm higher than the other, you would use this to bridge the difference in floor heights.

In your case, this brings the height of the floor down by 1cm so the tiles no longer look at odds because it is not apparent that the height of the tile is slightly higher than the glass in the patio doors.

Just out of interest does LVT mark like Lino?

LVT is one of the most durable floor coverings available.

Have a look into it. Personally I'd get an expert out to give you a price to properly prepare the floor and to install the LVT. If you do decide to go down that route.

The tiler might be able to prep the floor and lay the LVT but it's unlikely.

Usually you would overboard with 6mm ply/SP101 as prep for LVT.

There's no issue with using thicker ply though.

LVT is one of the most durable floor coverings available.

Have a look into it. Personally I'd get an expert out to give you a price to properly prepare the floor and to install the LVT. If you do decide to go down that route.

The tiler might be able to prep the floor and lay the LVT but it's unlikely.

Usually you would overboard with 6mm ply/SP101 as prep for LVT.

There's no issue with using thicker ply though.

Our house has lvt throughout the hallway, with kids racing cars, to daughters wearing Lego shoes whilst ice skating, they've scratched and marked, but when cleaned come up like new every time. Ten years it's been down now and only just starting to show signs of age. Ours have never peeled or lifted either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom