Underworld R1 or R2?

Kane D Williams

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get Underworld (not seen it yet, but fancy a purchase) and was all set to get the R1 version (with DTS), when I noticed the new R2 edition is a 2 disc set. I believe that there are only the same extras, but obviously on a separate disc, which should equal better PQ. Can an anyone comment on the quality of the single disc R1 release and has anyone been lucky enough to compare it with the R2 version yet?

I much prefer to buy NTSC discs, as I like the film to run at correct speed, even though some PAL discs do better their R1 counterparts in the PQ stakes. However, can anyone tell me if the R2 has DTS or DD only? BTW, I have seen that most retailers seem to sell a DD only R1 disc as well, but there is a DTS version out there for those interested.

So, which is the better deal, a R1 single disc version with DTS for £10 (inc P&P) or the two disc R2 edition for £13?

Thanks

doesnt really matter cos its crap IMHO

I have the R1 single disk version. The Dolby Digital soundtrack is superb, one of the best I've heard.
I wouldn't say it's crap, I liked the film a lot.

Loved the film!
I have the R1, dd only, disc and it rocks!

I'd rent it before you buy it mate. IMO it was the biggest disappointment i've seen in ages. Even worse than bulletproof monk!

I rented it and liked it. It has excellent picture and sound. The rental only comes with the film disc though.

Oh please dont buy that film, i love goth/vamp flicks and it was so mediocre very glad i didnt pay to go see it at the cinemas... biggest dissapointment of the year for me so far... i was to going to buy it but certainly wont be anymore

Cheers

Chris

Originally posted by cjschoppe
Oh please dont buy that film, i love goth/vamp flicks and it was so mediocre very glad i didnt pay to go see it at the cinemas... biggest dissapointment of the year for me so far... i was to going to buy it but certainly wont be anymore

Cheers

Chris
:rolleyes:
And why should someone not buy a film just because you don't like it?
Everybody has different tastes and if we all thought the same the word would be a boring place! Here on this thread there is already evidence of a 50/50 split between people that like Underworld and people that don't.

Comparing the R1 with the R3 on a panny AE300 the R3 appears to me to be marginally better PQ wise. Prob not noticeable on a 32inch TV though.

As for the sound the R3 wins easily. I'm not a DTS fanboy but the R1 DD sounds way overblown to me, while the DTS on the R3 was much easier on the ears:) the R3 for £5.99 from CDWOW (using Vouchers) is an absolute steal, it would be rude not to buy it;)

I bought the region 3 off CD Wow i do hope its uncut and as good as everyone says cos i enjoy these type of films.

Having said that i enjoy overblown sound i much preferred the overblown sound of Fellowship of the Rings to the underblown sound of The Two Towers hmmm ?

Don't get me wrong the R3 is still very loud in DTS. Just didn't need to to keep adjusting the volume up and down like on the R1 DD soundtrack. The R3 has a DD5.1 soundtrack anyway,not really had much chance to compare this to the R1 though. So long as you don't mind the lack of any extras on the R3 you'll be more than pleased with it ;)

r2 is dts just got it

The rental R2 is DD only.

rental is dd only , just watched it, was not expecting much but i enjoyed it, the sound effects are very loud , and you need the volume quite high to hear voicesover effects,

Kane D Williams said:
I want to get Underworld (not seen it yet, but fancy a purchase) and was all set to get the R1 version (with DTS), when I noticed the new R2 edition is a 2 disc set. I believe that there are only the same extras, but obviously on a separate disc, which should equal better PQ. Can an anyone comment on the quality of the single disc R1 release and has anyone been lucky enough to compare it with the R2 version yet?

I much prefer to buy NTSC discs, as I like the film to run at correct speed, even though some PAL discs do better their R1 counterparts in the PQ stakes. However, can anyone tell me if the R2 has DTS or DD only? BTW, I have seen that most retailers seem to sell a DD only R1 disc as well, but there is a DTS version out there for those interested.

So, which is the better deal, a R1 single disc version with DTS for £10 (inc P&P) or the two disc R2 edition for £13?

Thanks

I would agree with rentling it first, although in my opinion it is a very good film, good effects etc.

I have the R1 Unrated version which i thin has about 20 extra minutes. thats the one i would recommend going for

thinking of getting the extended unrated version, is it worth it over the standard?

Dean said:
thinking of getting the extended unrated version, is it worth it over the standard?

I think it is, i have not owned other copies of the film, but i loaned the disk to a friend who has the normal release, he is going to sell it to get the unrated one, so it must be better

i really liked it as well....i think its abit of a clasic (then again my fav movie is conan the barbarian!) :)

CaM

cheers for the info chaps, may jst get it

I think its a great film. Really enjoyed it.

The new R1 extended version I believe is not DTS which is a bit of a downer.
Wonder if they will bring the extended version to R2 and with DTS soundtrack.
Currently have R2 DTS version.

Damian

I think as snaxo has said the region one version does not have DTS.

The region 2 and region 3 both have DTS soundtracks. When the extended edition is released with DTS in the UK, I think I will upgrade then. I've got the region 3 version which I'm pretty happy with although I would have preferred the UK version but the DTS soundtrack wasn't confirmed until very late by which time was too late.

If you haven't already got a copy of underworld CD wow are selling region two versions fairly cheap, or at least they were until fairly recently, you'll just have to check it out!

Also worth looking at ebay. I just picked up the R3 version for £3.99 +post.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom