Underworld: Awakening Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
By popular demand, here’s a second bite at Kate Beckinsale’s cherry.

Following on from our look at the 3D release of this movie (you can read Simon’s review here), and after the feedback questioning whether there are any overt differences in picture quality between the US 2D standalone release and the 2D/3D release of the movie, the latter of which is the only release available in the UK, we now turn our attention to the US 2D standalone release.

However, before we get to the technical stuff, let’s take another look at Kate’s latest PVC performance and see whether the Underworld franchise still has any of the magic that made it such a refreshingly fun watch back when it started, the best part of a decade ago.

Well a good deal has changed in the realm of Underworld, and a good deal has stayed the same.

After...

Read the full review...

Another great and informative review Cas. Have to agree with all your conclusions as I've been lucky enough to compare all discs you have viewed and came to the same verdict. I initially raised a query about reviewing both versions on a combi 2D/3D disc within the 3D review thread, so it's a big thanks from me.

I just hope we don't get more of these combi discs that are detrimental to the 2D version.

This problem together with the recent decision to release certain films cut for the UK is just frustrating.

War

Nice one, cas. Glad to know I'm not insane.

But how do you reconcile your comments with those in Simon's 3D review:
Contrast and brightness are set to give some incredibly deep blacks (with the usual 3D caveat) which sometimes adds to the depth of the picture, other times is too dark and reduces the effect, however there is still plenty of shadow detail in places and, at least, the blacks remain black and never stray into grey.
?

Last edited:
I'm glad I waited for this second review. Thanks for taking the time Cas, looks like the US2d is the one to get.

Nice one, cas. Glad to know I'm not insane.

But how do you reconcile your comments with those in Simon's 3D review:
?

Thanks, in fact it was the fact that you and the others on the forums were quick to agree with my findings that kept me from feeling like the insane one!

When it comes to the 3D review, I haven't got a 3D set-up yet so can't compare that side of things. I would assume that the black/blue levels that we're looking at are considerably darker in 3D (hence why they were probably lightened in the first place) so it's probably even harder to spot than on the 2D release...

Appreciate the feedback from all of you - you're the reason why this review even exists!

Cas

Nice review & your so right about Kate Beckinsale in figure-hugging PVC that will do just fine. I did like the plot twist even if it was quite quite apparent ..humans the enemy oh no :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom