Underwhelmed by Sonos Arc

Interesting, i didn't know this! Usually in Ireland we get excluded from these type of returns policies! May give it a go once i get Christmas out of the way. Thanks guys

I don't see the point of a soundbar only set-up. It's just a front speaker, reviewers talk utter nonsense when they say it's immersive or surround. You can't overcome physics!!

If you are not prepared to buy rears and a sub, then you are better off getting a proper 2.1 stereo setup and saving your money. 2 front speakers either side of telly, plus a sub - easy to wire, significantly cheaper than a soundbar and sounds much better than a soundbar because of the spacing of the speakers.

If you're willing to part with cash and do proper surround, you need at least two rears and a sub in addition to your soundbar.

Likewise, I'm yet to hear a soundbar (that doesn't have a dedicated separate subwoofer) that can produce the necessary base for movie watching. It's a poor imitation. Base adds tremendous depth throughout movies - it ain't just for explosions n stuff. Subwoofers are big old things and again it's physics.

Go stereo or go all out! Don't kid yourself in the middle with imitation and marketing.

Last edited:
Have to say, I was extremely disappointed with the Arc considering the amazing reviews it has had. I bought one to replace the TV speakers for the wife when watching normal TV as the TV speakers in the Panasonic panel are really pants and A.R.C between TV and the Arcam AV860 was driving me round the bend so I had to turn it off.
Why get a sound bar you ask if I have a full 5.1.2 system? Well as I said A.R.C was so flaky I couldn't cope any more. When it stopped working, and normally happened when switching between inputs nothing I did would get sound back through the processor from the TV. Days later it would suddenly start working again. Coupled with re-introducing a separate 2 channel Pre-amp into the system, making the whole thing a bit more complicated, I just wanted a simple solution for better than TV speaker sound for everyday watching. Movies and good stuff on Netflix, prime or Apple still go full fat surround.
I am using the optical out from the TV into the Arc with the HDMI converter so don't know if that has big impact but when I first put it in I too wasn't sure if the sound was still coming from the normal TV speakers.
While I wasn't expecting it to get anyway near the performance of my surround system I was expecting it to sound more dynamic than it does and voices to be a lot clearer than the TV speakers.

Have to say, I was extremely disappointed with the Arc considering the amazing reviews it has had. I bought one to replace the TV speakers for the wife when watching normal TV as the TV speakers in the Panasonic panel are really pants and A.R.C between TV and the Arcam AV860 was driving me round the bend so I had to turn it off.
Why get a sound bar you ask if I have a full 5.1.2 system? Well as I said A.R.C was so flaky I couldn't cope any more. When it stopped working, and normally happened when switching between inputs nothing I did would get sound back through the processor from the TV. Days later it would suddenly start working again. Coupled with re-introducing a separate 2 channel Pre-amp into the system, making the whole thing a bit more complicated, I just wanted a simple solution for better than TV speaker sound for everyday watching. Movies and good stuff on Netflix, prime or Apple still go full fat surround.
I am using the optical out from the TV into the Arc with the HDMI converter so don't know if that has big impact but when I first put it in I too wasn't sure if the sound was still coming from the normal TV speakers.
While I wasn't expecting it to get anyway near the performance of my surround system I was expecting it to sound more dynamic than it does and voices to be a lot clearer than the TV speakers.

I have the full Arc set up with sub and ones and its amazing and better than my old 5.1 dedicated system with av receiver, I can't comment on just the arc but plenty of people on here have nothing but praise for it so I'm not sure whats wrong , id say sell it and buy a different make as they sell easy plus all the other soundbars pretty much come with a dedicated sub which gives an advantage , good luck.

if you do decide to move it on have a look at the Beosound Stage, its a great performer no sw issues, works like clockwork .

if you do decide to move it on have a look at the Beosound Stage, its a great performer no sw issues, works like clockwork .

Trouble is with the Beo is its a lot more expensive than the Arc itself and for me didn't sound better than the Arc and Sub which is around the same price .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom