1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underwhelmed by DV89

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by liteswap, Nov 20, 2004.

1. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Today, I borrowed the last DV89 from my local dealer for the weekend and installed it into the system. I was looking to replace my Linn Mimik CD player with a rock-solid DVD player that can also play music as well as the Linn does -- and it's a hard act to follow. But I thought with the DV89 that I could get the two functions in one box and reduce domestic clutter -- now I'm not so sure.

Initial impressions of the DV89's image quality were that it's very good -- a big improvement on the Toshiba DVD recorder, though I suspect my five-year-old Panasonic CRT WS TV isn't showing enough detail itself to make a fully objective decision.

On the sound front, though, the Linn beats it: the Linn's sound is richer, more detailed and basically more musical. Don't get me wrong: if I weren't comparing the Arcam to something like the Linn I'd be perfectly happy. As it is, the Arcam loses out.

But now I don't know what the best thing is to do. I still want a better quality DVD player but I don't think I'm going to get equivalent or better sound than the Linn as well without paying a small fortune.

Thoughts or recommendations? Should I admit defeat and abandon the idea of a quality DVD / CD player in one box?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Have you tried listening to the DV29, audiowise it's quite a step up from any of the DiVA DVD players.

3. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tip -- I'll take a look. Any other thoughts welcomed.