• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Underwhelmed by Bluray

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I’m a bit late to the party with bluray and have only recently bought a second hand Sony player from eBay.

I have borrowed and bought a few discs recently and tbh am completely underwhelmed by the picture and sound difference compared to what I’m getting on my SKY HD box.

Yes the picture looks better than DVD but it’s not blowing me away on the discs I own (Jurassic World and Matrix were the last two I bought)

Am I missing something or has HDTV just caught up with BR in this regards?

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I’m a bit late to the party with bluray and have only recently bought a second hand Sony player from eBay.

I have borrowed and bought a few discs recently and tbh am completely underwhelmed by the picture and sound difference compared to what I’m getting on my SKY HD box.

Yes the picture looks better than DVD but it’s not blowing me away on the discs I own (Jurassic World and Matrix were the last two I bought)

2007 just called, it wants its opinion back [emoji4]

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
2007 just called, it wants its opinion back [emoji4]
I'm not trolling btw. I've just been left behind a bit with regards to Home Cinema. Many years ago I was one of the first to get a DVD player which I had hooked up to my Yamaha DSPAX620, with lovely mordant Shorts. When I moved in with the, now wife, I got rid of it all and bought a Sony all in one DVD 5.1 thingy, which I've only just replaced with a Yamaha RXV381 and separate speakers and of course a BR player.
I just wondered if getting a better BR would improve the picture or am I missing a step in the set up menu? DVD players are just plug and play. Things seem so much more confusing these days

mikemag

Distinguished Member
Some discs have more impressive transfers than others but I would have thought Jurassic World being output at 1080p to a 1080p display should look pretty good.

Maybe try something like Oblivion, The Revenant or Prometheus, they really should show a jump in quality over the DVD version.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Some discs have more impressive transfers than others but I would have thought Jurassic World being output at 1080p to a 1080p display should look pretty good.

Maybe try something like Oblivion, The Revenant or Prometheus, they really should show a jump in quality over the DVD version.
I agree they are a jump in quality over DVD, which does look grainy in comparison. Its more that compared to Sky HD there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference now. Not sure if this is down to Sky improving their HD channels, although Atlantic isn't great or if my BR player, being a cheap second hand old Sony is not getting the best out of the discs.

Although the spec sheet shows that HD on a Bluray disc is miles better , in real life the difference is not often that significant on some films. A side by side comparison should show the difference but HD on satellite and cable is adequate.
Audio wise I can't tell the difference between standard audio and HD audio so the audio from Sky should be ok unless you're looking for something beyond normal 5.1.
But quality wise I love Bluray because its so much better than dvd.

UHD is another story. If you're underwhelmed by Blu I'd leave 4k well along where discs labelled as 4k are actually nothing of the kind

MarcoDB

Can you check that you're getting the full 1080/24p and HD Audio on your TV / Receiver?

Sky *cough* HD *cough* audio vs Blu Ray lossless HD Audio are night and day difference regardless of the PQ.

What settings are you using for your Blu Ray Player? Has the previous owner configured it to output at a lower resolution, colour and/or audio quality or something weird? Might be worth trying a factory reset on it.

Sony Blu Ray players try to auto-configure themselves by checking the capabilities of the TV using the HDMI connection, it could be that something went wrong and it's defaulted to some lower quality "safe" settings???

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Can you check that you're getting the full 1080/24p and HD Audio on your TV / Receiver?

Sky *cough* HD *cough* audio vs Blu Ray lossless HD Audio are night and day difference regardless of the PQ.

What settings are you using for your Blu Ray Player? Has the previous owner configured it to output at a lower resolution, colour and/or audio quality or something weird? Might be worth trying a factory reset on it.

Sony Blu Ray players try to auto-configure themselves by checking the capabilities of the TV using the HDMI connection, it could be that something went wrong and it's defaulted to some lower quality "safe" settings???
I'll look tonight when I get home but I recall the sound being output was AAC? I couldn't see an option for Dolby/DTS TruHD

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
You probably won't notice a huge difference between Blu-ray and a HD broadcast or download via SkyHD.
You'll should definitely see a difference over an SD broadcasts & DVDs.
What size TV are you using as that can can play a part in the differences you see.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member

Just think...you got UHD to look forward to in 2027!

D

Deleted member 27989

What size TV do you have and is it a proper full HD one. On a small screen it could be argued you will gain little benefit. But it is undoubtedly there. I'd just go past go and upgrade to 4K now. Some amazing picture and movie moments to be had. Billy Lynn in 4K at 60hz, just wow absolutely amazing. Just to name an example.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
What is your TV?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
You probably won't notice a huge difference between Blu-ray and a HD broadcast or download via SkyHD.
What size TV are you using as that can can play a part in the differences you see.
Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic vs GoT Blu-ray...no contest.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic vs GoT Blu-ray...no contest.
I vote the OP to do this test....as long as the settings are right as previously mentioned. GoT on Sky is an absolute disgusting mess.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
What size TV do you have and is it a proper full HD one. On a small screen it could be argued you will gain little benefit. But it is undoubtedly there. I'd just go past go and upgrade to 4K now. Some amazing picture and movie moments to be had. Billy Lynn in 4K at 60hz, just wow absolutely amazing. Just to name an example.
Its a Samsung 50in 3dtv and is full HD 1080p.
No chance of upgrading to 4K, I only recently bought this one.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member

It's definitely better than SD and DVD quality. I'm not one of those "I can't tell the difference between SD and HD" people, its just that, to me, BR and HDTV look pretty similar.

D

Deleted member 27989

Well there is no denying that in all those years HD broadcasts have improved as well. And so has source material. With blu-ray there can be big differences between discs, just like there was with DVD, some of us may recall the superbit DVDs. Between those and the early blu rays it was hard to tell. However as my tests were done on the same Oppo player and the upscaling skills were so good that may come into play as well.

Ultimately, if you like what you see just enjoy it :)

MarcoDB

I'll look tonight when I get home but I recall the sound being output was AAC? I couldn't see an option for Dolby/DTS TruHD

AAC is lossy; it's used by Apple (amongst others), HD Audio is lossless (and in principle offers better quality) but you'll need an AV Receiver / TV that supports it.

The make & model numbers for your Blu Ray Player, TV and AV Receiver might help us locate the relevant manuals online to be able to point you in the right direction with which menu / setting / wording to check; marketing people are rather fond of (re-)inventing their own terminology for things.

Last edited:

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
If you can't see the difference between sky hd and bluray, either your eyes are rubbish or your TV is rubbish. It's night and day between SD, HDTV and bluray on my plasma.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
If you can't see the difference between sky hd and bluray, either your eyes are rubbish or your TV is rubbish. It's night and day between SD, HDTV and bluray on my plasma.
Could it be the Bluray player? I read somewhere that the difference in picture quality between cheap models and high end ones is small, is this true?

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
AAC is lossy; it's used by Apple (amongst others), HD Audio is lossless (and in principle offers better quality) but you'll need an AV Receiver / TV that supports it.

The make & model numbers for your Blu Ray Player, TV and AV Receiver might help us locate the relevant manuals online to be able to point you in the right direction with which menu / setting / wording to check; marketing people are rather fond of (re-)inventing their own terminology for things.
The Bluray player I bought 2nd hand so I'm not sure the model number. I can have a look at it tonight. I do know its a Sony and it must be fairly old as it has RCA connections, which most of the newer models don't.
The amp is Yamaha RXV381
TV is Samsung UE48H6400

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom