Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Underwater video - Pal-B vs UK compatibility

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by DonkD, Jun 22, 2005.

1. DonkD

DonkD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. Planning on purchasing a USA sourced underwater video camera system (into the UK) which they can apparently supply in PAL-B rather than NTSC. Currently feed old camera video signal into a Sony GVD1000 (PAL) mini DV recorder and display on standard UK PAL monitor.

However, I have been told that there would be compatability issues between a PAL-B system and the Sony GVD mini DV recorder we use - in that this would be UK spec PAL-I. :confused:

I have been aware of NTSC vs PAL issues, but hadn't realised that there were also issues between different PAL systems - i.e. different countries within Europe.

Any ideas on whether a PAL-B video signal into the Sony GVD1000 (potentially PAL-I) would be an insurmountable problem?

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a table here which may help you :-
    http://lea.hamradio.si/~s51kq/STANDARDS.HTM

there is a table at the very bottom of the page which compares various PAL systems - PAL-B seems to diifer slightly in video bandwith and audio carrier frequency, I think if it was me I'd want to try before I buy to be sure

3. DonkD

DonkD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that -it confirms what I'd heard elsewhere. The extent to which it will be a problem is unclear - hence ideally a try before buy approach, but unfortunately as its coming from the States, then that's not going to be so easy. May just shelve the idea and buy a UK kit, although as usual, the cheapest is around twice the price as the US ones.

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What sort of underwater videoing do you want to do - depth wise that is - there are plenty of options out there...
    - one of the best sites I've found is here . I've got an EWA flexible housing
    - mainly for snorkeling and using on the beach with the sand worry - an excellent purchase (even the Mrs agrees with me :zonked: .....)

5. DonkD

DonkD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Planning to use video for shallow to semi-deep water seabed drops - c. 20-50m. As such, needs to be fairly robust kit (rather than simple housing for terrestrial camera) and needs a good light supply. Risk of loss due to snagging etc means it can't be too pricey - i.e. under £1k.

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32