Undertow: underwater 16 player shooter!

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/901/901686/imgs_1.html

Based in an alternate world where earth has been completely flooded and several factions are vying for supremacy, Undertow is an underwater shooter featuring a complex multiplayer component. Undertow features a complete campaign mode that can be played either solo or co-operatively with a friend, and also boasts a battle mode that supports up to 16 players at once in an online contest. The goal is to destroy your enemies and take control of their bases, with victory coming from a traditional flag-and-ticket system found in online conquest modes, but the gameplay here is faster and easier to play than other online titles thanks to the simple dual-analog control scheme.

Each faction in battle has its own look and feel-- the Atlantians are a magical race that fight by riding creatures and attack with magic, the Nemodians are organic fighters that look like creatures from a Jules Verne novel, and the Iron Marines are a militant group of humans that took to the seas when the world flooded.
----------------------------------------
looks nice,kind of semi reminds me of the old megadrive shooter subterrania..but underwater..
also the co-op,and 16 player multi sounds interesting..

RidleyDeckard

I just stummbled across the 1st review of this over on the US OXM site and it seems pretty good;

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/editors-choice-gallery/undertow

The verdict 9.0 out of 10

+ Combat is fast-paced, addictive, and simple to understand.
+ Snazzy graphics with impressive visual effects, especially for Live Arcade.
- We wish the single-player campaign was longer that it is.
* Okay, they're gold, but can't we just call them yellow submarines?

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Sounds great, 800 points is the price I was hoping for too(concerned it might have arrived at 1200:nono:).

But Undertow was clearly built for Live — it’s one of the few 16-player games on Live Arcade.
One of the few, which other XBLA games accommodate 16 players then:confused:

I noticed in one of the comments below, somebody mentioned that it's due to arrive November 21st(next wednesday), who knows where they sourced that date but I hope they're right:)

Shaunio

Novice Member
This looks great, it's been a little while since I bought an arcade game, but this could make me fork out the points :D

Caveman49

XBLA is killing me at the moment - I am dowloading all of these excellent games and never playing them because of Halo3, Timeshift, HL, Cod4, Ratchet & Clank, Folklore, Jericho, Assassins Creed, and with the Massive Mass Effect to come as well as Blacksite, Unchartered Drakes Fortune, Haze & Stranglehold (and thats before my Xmas list and forgetting Mario) - I fear that I am not going to get a game with any of them until about 2009 !!!

Its great to be a gamer though :cool::smashin:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Just been reading the IGN review(8.7/10), this game sounds amazing for an Arcade title!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/836/836872p1.html?RSSwhen2007-11-20_151500&RSSid=836872

I must admit it's the 16 player online I've been most excited about with this one, sounds as though it won't disappoint either:cool: Couple of quotes from the review:

The reason it all works so well is that the level design in Undertow is top notch. It's clear that a lot of care was taken to balance the stages and create clear strategy/counterstrategy options. Hidden passages, traps to set off, and multiple routes in and out of each base are all common occurrences here. There will be a few favorites -- we prefer Glacial and Tidal -- but every map is attractive in its own unique way.
While Undertow is designed as a game that casual gamers can get a quick chunk of fun out of, it's plainly apparent that some people at Chair are hardcore gamers. There's a System Link mode, options for including bots to round out an empty game and a solid lobby that allows you to keep playing with the same crew for hours, tweaking options between rounds without breaking up the party.
^makes a nice change after so many XBLA titles seem to force lobbies to reset after each game

RidleyDeckard

It's out and it really is a great looking game, and certainly one of the best looking on XBLA to date. I've only played a single campaign game and have to confess I didn't find it that easy, but the game play certainly looks quite deep as it based around capturing command points and you have different class characters you can change into. Online it'll go down a storm!

For the moment, I'll be sticking to Switchball (only 4 levels to go), COD4 and Mass Effect

jonnydynamite

Novice Member
Looks great. Will try and pick it up and get online tonight :hiya:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Superb! Very polished and an all round impressive game, especially for under 50mb:eek:

Will almost certainly unlock later on, should be a fantastic game online!

mascot

Looks great, professionally put together, nice graphics and sound, controls well.
Not for me though. Gameplay didn't appeal at all.

Caveman49

Are there many people playing this on-line ?? I have only just got back home after a few days away and am thinking of downloading this, actually that is a lie - I know I will download it, just wanted to know if the servers were busy . :smashin:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Are there many people playing this on-line ?? I have only just got back home after a few days away and am thinking of downloading this, actually that is a lie - I know I will download it, just wanted to know if the servers were busy . :smashin:
I've played quite a few online games already, although there weren't loads of lobbies to choose from there has always been at least two lobbies running when I've checked. The good thing is you can fill up any empty spaces with bots, even set it that the bots can be replaced mid game should human players want to join, nice to see these features in an arcade game.

Shame nobody on my friends list has this game so far, have only been able to play random players so far online, although at least all the players I've met so far have been mature and played sensibly, haven't encountered any screaming teenagers on this game:)

BTW, I've already heard a few people being put off this game due to the zoom level(which is very distant by default). The zoom is very adjustable with something like 5 or 6 zoom levels to choose from(from very distant to very close), I find the middle option just perfect.

The demo doesn't really show just how much fun this game is online, shame really, they should have given a timed online play demo aswell IMO as that's where the fun starts.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I do! Had a quick tinker with it last night, seems like fun! Will give it a whirl sometime... :smashin:
Ah great, meant to have a check to see if you did download it in the end. Would like to work through it in co-op if you're up for it sometime and get the Swim Pals achievement.

Would be good to try for the Frenzy(Complete each chapter on the Ultra difficulty setting) achievement in co-op aswell as I think that one is just way too tough to get single player(I tried last night:eek:).

Only thing is I can't host games so unable to invite you in(only on a half meg connection ATM, although we're waiting for a free upgrade to 1 meg which we should have received last month:rolleyes:), if you can drop me an invite though I should be along:thumbsup:

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Now I've worked out how to shoot, it's not a bad little game. :oops:

D

Deleted member 152499

Now I've worked out how to shoot, it's not a bad little game. :oops:
Fancy some co-op then Codey?? Downloaded it this morning (at everyone's favourite price :clap:), and seen there's some co-op achievements that might interest some [-]whores[/-] [-]tarts[/-] people like us :smashin:

The Klinker

Novice Member
Quite like this game so wouldn't mind doing some co-op on it too, tried it last night but there was only 2 games being hosted and only 1 or 2 people in each one :(

sh18

Novice Member
is anybody else having trouble getting the 'deep 6' achievement? ive got 209 deapth charge kills but no achievement :confused: am i missing something?

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
I'm actually really enjoying this game. It's pretty addictive once you get into it. The level design in particular seems very well thought out.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Just noticed there's some new DLC - Path of the Elect that's been quietly released for this game today, just did a quick google search for details and it sounds like a pretty fair asking price at 200 points:

The Undertow: Path of the Elect expansion pack extends the full game by featuring a full, five level single player and co-op campaign and introduces an entirely new playable race known as the "Elect."

Armed with superior technology and fire power, this fanatical alien race is determined to rule the earth and destroy those who seek to stop them. Multiplayer fans can now choose to play as the Elect or as one of three other races as they explore four new multiplayer maps and earn points for upgrades by killing enemies, completing objectives, and taking checkpoints.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15859/Undertow-Path-of-the-Elect-Media/

Will have to calculate my remaining points to see how they divide into games before deciding if I'll make the purchase, if I have an odd 200 points I'll probably go for it as I always fancied controlling the last race, those alien guys:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett