1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding projector talk

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GoonerPaul, Dec 11, 2002.

1. GoonerPaul

GoonerPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Another question if I may, reading through various threads and reviews of projectors people mention 'having a short throw'.

Know I think I understand basically what it means and I know its something to do with the distance the picture is viewed, but I'm having trouble understanding what it means in terms of what size screen I should get or distince I should be away from the screen.

Is it something like a short throw means it needs to be closer to the screen or further away????

My situation is I'm getting a Z1, the viewing distance is going to be about 13'.

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,826
    Put simply, a short throw lense means that the projector will throw a big image from a short distance to the screen, long throw vice versa.

For example, @ 22ft back, my Z1 throws an image approx 15' wide (yes you read correct!), although that was just for testing purposes:D

I have the projector mounted approx 10' away from the screen, and this throws me an 8' wide image (with a bit of zoom) - this is a VERY short throw lense.

I believe the Sony HS10 has a longer throw lense, for example you might HAVE to have a projector with a long throw lense 20ft back to be able to throw an 8' wide image.

3. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you have a projector setup so that the throw distance between the PJ and screen was about 2 metres?

4. GoonerPaul

GoonerPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation Smurfin.

Am I right in saying though that the image size can be adjusted larger or smaller from the projector, or is it a static size that is projected and you have to move it closer or further away?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Chaos, For your question to have an sane answer requires that you give us an idea of how big you'd want your screen to be at 2m throw distance...

Gordon