Understanding OLED TV Power Consumption Numbers

chang14

Established Member
Reaction score
This post stayed ignored at the AVS Forum’s Sony A90J thread so I’m hoping someone here will advise me. I’ve yet to own an OLED TV but the owner’s manual for the above 2021 Sony 55” model is 336 watts (452 watts for the 65”). But the review here says a min/ max power draw of 96/175 watts . Sony A90J OLED Review (XR-55A90J, XR-65A90J, XR-83A90J)

Why the huge difference between 336 and 175 watts? Was it entirely due to the reviewer calibrating the TV?

And what would cause the 96/175 watt difference? Would t96 watts be mostly because the TV’s brightness was turned down if the OLED was used in a dimly lit room? Please explain.

That is odd sounding, it would be 96 watts (almost idle?) to a max 175 watts though, but maybe possible maybe OLED max brightness may peak that high not sure, I don't have an OLED tv to check this variation in wattage but I do recall testing my LG 48" CX wattage 2 years back and I only recall seeing a consistent wattage consumed think it was roughly 80-90 watts, even during full screen HDR 4K playback not unless I have totally forgot this!

I did recently test another TV 43" LED Samsung and even with an blank screen almost its similar at 85watts consumed but with 4K HDR full screen playback its still 85watts. One issue I did see was in standby it was consuming 13 watts, which sounds a bug.

My 28" 4K PC monitor also has a consistent wattage of 18 watts consumed and 2 watts in standby in comparison.

If anyone has an OLED tv and a power consumption adaptor they would like to test:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom