Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Understanding contrast & brightness on LCD.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, May 18, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hello,

Can somebody please advise me.

I am now in the tweak it till it bleeds frame of mind as I have had my Z1 a couple of weeks. One thing I would like to clarify with an expert or two is contrast/brightness settings.

I remember reading that contrast should be set at about 65% and brightness should be at about 35% of the total.

Can anyone confirm this please?

I realise that its my eye that counts but this would be a good baseline from which to start.

Thanks,

Captain Benefit.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rubbish :(

You need a copy of Avia, see here .

The only way to properly set up any display device.

:smoke:

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    Indeed.

Using the needle pulse tests to set the white and black levels is the minimum that should be done in my opinion, and each DVD player will vary, so you cannot set the projector and expect it to have correct settings for every player you connect it too.

I've had a few different players on my projector, and used Avia on each one, including HTPC. It helpls reduce background noise as well, which can be a distraction if you have an overly 'live' image.

HTH

Gary.