Understanding ARC

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 2scoops, Aug 9, 2013.

1. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi,

I have a new smart TV, all my devices (SKY, PS3 & Media player) all connect to my AMP over HDMI. My amp outputs audio to my 5.1 speakers and outputs the video to my TV. I switch between AV channels on my AMP depending on which device I'm using - a very simple setup really.

My new smart TV has created a problem though. I need to be able to output the audio from my TV when using the smart TV functions. I need to able to output it through to my AMP to get the best possible sound.

The two options are:

1, Optical out from my TV to my amp (easy to setup but limits me to 5.1 Dolby D).

2, Setup ARC to output TV audio to my AMP through the same cable my AMP uses to send Video to my TV?

The only issue is I don't understand ARC, how it is setup or what it is capable of.

I have a Marantz NR1402 Amp. To set it up do I enable HDMI ARC output on my TV, ensure the HDMI is in the ARC HDMI port, then enable ARC on my Amp?

What advantages/disadvantages would I get by using ARC? Would I be able to pass through DTS-HD to my AMP through ARC? (I understand LGs 2013 TVs can pass through DTS-HD).

Thanks,

2scoops.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    ARC is limited to the same bandwidth as standard spdif , in other words its no better than the optical connection , so you may as well use that.

You cannot pass the newer HD formats with ARC. Otherwise everything you posted in 2 is correct , the only advantage really , is one less cable

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
    ARC is a subset optional feature of HDMI CEC (control) that can implimented on HDMI 1.4 equiped components and AV receivers. HDMI 1.4 is a requisite requirement fot ARC along with both the TV and the receiver including ARC capabilities.

Both your TV and receiver must have HDMI Control enabled as well as ARC in order to use ARC. HDMI CEC more commonly termed HDMI Control is termed differently by many of the manufacturers, but it has to be enabled in order to use ARC.

You may find this of interest:
    HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Audio Return Channel

and:
    HDMI Control (CEC))

What make and brand is your new TV?

4. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks all. Its an LG LA660v, I think its only DTS capable anyway not sure where I read DTS-HD.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
    LG term their implimentation of HDMI CEC "SimpLink". You'd need to ensure that SimpLink is enabled on your TV as well as ARC in order to use ARC.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013