1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding a native 4:3 panel PJ. Please help.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi guys. A friend of mine has expressed an interest in buying a PJ with a native 4:3 panel. I think it may be the sharp Z91.

I understand that there is a switchable 16:9 mode on this. I have tried explaining that this is not ‘true’ 16.9 but can’t really get the words out – if that makes sense.

I seem to recall that displaying a 16.9 image on a 4.3 panel will lower the resolution. As the PJ in question has 800 x 600 resolution, how much lower will it go and will it sacrifice detail/picture quality? Also, having seen a similar situation I think he will have over scan.

I would really appreciate a heads up on this so I can explain it to him as I am endeavouring to persuade him to go for a native 16.9 panel, as 99.9% of his viewing is wide screen.

Without sounding flippant, is buying a 4:3 panel in late summer ‘03 a backward step?

Thanks in advance,

Cap.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Another way of stating 4x3 is 16x12. A 16x9 image is, therefore, exactly 9/12ths (or 3/4) the height of a 4x3 one at the same width. Hence, an LCD panel with, say, 800 (w) x 600 (h) pixels, will use 800 (w) x 450 (h) pixels for a 16x9 image.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yes, an amount of detail will be lost in this situation. The pj will have to downsacle an NTSC signal (native 480 lines) to 450 and a PAL signal (native 576 lines, or thereabouts) to 450 lines.

Whether this would be hugely noticeable or spoil his viewing experience only he can tell from demos etc.

Personally, if it were for watching mainly 16:9 material (DVDs and/or Sky W/S movies) I would not entertain a pj with a less than 1024 x 768 4:3 panel. If much of his viewing is standard 4:3 stuff (Sky footie etc) then it may not be such an issue (I still wouldn't though).

But then if I were buying a pj just for films I would not buy a 4:3 panel pj (which is why I guess I haven't :) )

This link may also prove of some use, although not directly related.

link