1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understading How IR Blaster Would Work

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by ChrisA, Jun 10, 2003.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how an IR blaster works? I'm looking for a device that will change channels on a Freeview box to allow me to set a VCR to make recordings and I assume this is it (the hint was that the VCR has an IR blaster output!)

Does the VCR tell the IR blaster which channel to "blast" or is it set seperately?
    Does this mean that simple video+ cannot be used?
    How does the blaster work - is there a transmitter taped over the IR receiver on the Freeview box? If so does this mean the Freeview remote no longer functions?
    Can anyone recommend a good blaster?

Sorry if the topic has been covered – I did search first but the engine won’t let me input words less than
    2 characters (e.g. IR) and blaster on it’s own wasn’t successful.

So many questions, so little time!

Thanks and regards

Chris

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I would guess that the VCR will need to be told what socket your Sky or STB is attached to as well as what box it is. It will then fire out the correct IR codes to change the channels on the STB so as to record correct programme.

The IR relay device will sit in front of IR window of STB. The STB remote will still continue to work seamlessly. I doubt that this is going to be a very reliable way to record programmes from non terrestrial sources. A Sky Plus or Pace Twintuner box would likely be a better bet.

Gordon

3. ChrisA

ChrisA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Gordon, but whilst the PACE can still only record a few hours it doesn’t seem like a very good bet. I have read the thread about increasing the size of the HDD but the cost of the upgrade, set against the loss of the warranty by so doing, steers me in favour of something already shipped with a large HDD (at the moment I'm favouring JVC's HM-HDS4). I also wish to avoid a subscription so SKY+ is out too.

Thanks

Chris