Underpowered AVR? Marantz NR1508 for 5.1 setup

CheeLeongWong

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been using Marantz NR1508 slimline AVR for past few years, for Netflix, and music streaming at Spotify. Its been a fun journey to learn the basics of home theatre setup, and to make incremental adjustments to improve the sound quality. Starting with a 2 speaker system to now a 5.1 setup.

May I ask that with my equipment, would it be considered underpowered in a 5.1 setup?

AVR- Marantz NR1508 (50w at 2 channels driven)
Subwoofer - SVS SB1000
LCR speakers - Kef bookshelves (entry level range)
Surround LR - Wharfedale bookshelves (entry level range)
Recently included a external 2 channel amplifier (Behringer A800) for my LR.
Speaker settings - All speakers to Small. All speaker crossovers 120hz. Speaker levels -11.5 for LR, -10 for C, -6 for surround LR, -11.5 for sub.
Settled for Reference Audessey, Dynamic EQ Off, Dynamic Volume Light.
Normally watch at 65-70db volume.

I have read up, watched videos on speaker settings, crossovers, bass management, and tried to adjust to my best after every Audessey calibration attempt. However I still find the sound lacking in one way or another, and I tend to conclude that it is due to the AVR being underpowered.

I must say the addition of external amplifier has significant improvement to overall sound. But still it does not seem enough.

General movies sounded ok, but when it comes to challenging titles, eg. War of the Worlds, Godzilla, Marvel titles like Avengers, etc, in busy action scenes, it is quite apparent that certain bass notes and details gets drowned out, eg. if background soundtrack is playing, vocals can become softer, monsters roar become underwhelming, etc.

Appreciate any comments if the AVR is indeed underpowered for a decent 5.1 setup, despite adding in a external amp. Thanks!

Hi guys, I have been using Marantz NR1508 slimline AVR for past few years, for Netflix, and music streaming at Spotify. Its been a fun journey to learn the basics of home theatre setup, and to make incremental adjustments to improve the sound quality. Starting with a 2 speaker system to now a 5.1 setup.

May I ask that with my equipment, would it be considered underpowered in a 5.1 setup?

AVR- Marantz NR1508 (50w at 2 channels driven)
Subwoofer - SVS SB1000
LCR speakers - Kef bookshelves (entry level range)
Surround LR - Wharfedale bookshelves (entry level range)
Recently included a external 2 channel amplifier (Behringer A800) for my LR.
Speaker settings - All speakers to Small. All speaker crossovers 120hz. Speaker levels -11.5 for LR, -10 for C, -6 for surround LR, -11.5 for sub.
Settled for Reference Audessey, Dynamic EQ Off, Dynamic Volume Light.
Normally watch at 65-70db volume.

I have read up, watched videos on speaker settings, crossovers, bass management, and tried to adjust to my best after every Audessey calibration attempt. However I still find the sound lacking in one way or another, and I tend to conclude that it is due to the AVR being underpowered.

I must say the addition of external amplifier has significant improvement to overall sound. But still it does not seem enough.

General movies sounded ok, but when it comes to challenging titles, eg. War of the Worlds, Godzilla, Marvel titles like Avengers, etc, in busy action scenes, it is quite apparent that certain bass notes and details gets drowned out, eg. if background soundtrack is playing, vocals can become softer, monsters roar become underwhelming, etc.

Appreciate any comments if the AVR is indeed underpowered for a decent 5.1 setup, despite adding in a external amp. Thanks!
Dynamic Volume reduces the dynamic range between loud and quiet bits.
Try Dynamic volume off. Also try Dynamic EQ on.
As you are now putting front LR into the A800 the limiting factor may be your front LCR speakers.
What is the model you are using?

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

I did tried with Dynamic Volume off. Agree the dynamic range improves but the softer end gets too soft to be audible. So I got no choice to use Dynamic Vol Light. For Dynamic Eq, personally I prefer it off as somehow it distorts the voices a little, even after trying with the different offsets.

My LR speakers are Kef iQ1. On it’s own, they sound pretty good, when I use them as 2.1. Now I’m using the A800, stereo sounds even better :)

But as 5.1, movies are still lacking. The recent adjustments I made were raising my crossovers to 120hz, and with A800 I’m able to lower channel levels down substantially. All these probably helped with the AVR headroom and I could hear more from movies which previously I wasn’t able to. But comes challenging scenes, it still struggles.

Dynamic Volume reduces the dynamic range between loud and quiet bits.
Try Dynamic volume off. Also try Dynamic EQ on.
As you are now putting front LR into the A800 the limiting factor may be your front LCR speakers.
What is the model you are using?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom