underground or forgotten creature movies

deadlypixie

Standard Member
Reaction score
after a weekend showing my girl a few creature features she had never seen like lake placcid, deep rising, leviathon and the relic (damn that used to seem so good :p) i really feel the urge to see some more, i'm not really in the place for oldschool black and white creatures like them or the black scorpion, not in the mood for these awful useless cgi contemporary movies like razortooth, and last time i posted this kind of thread on a diff forum everyone just went on about alien and jaws and godzilla, and i'm more after some of the ones buried under time and forgotten.

I would like to know of any 70's to now creature features people enjoyed as there must be thousands i haven't seen, and everyday keep finding new ones that are cool in their own retro style, yesterday bad moon and ginger snaps 3 were a great werewolf day

so any ideas on whats loved and hated in the mixed bag world of monster movies?

after a weekend showing my girl a few creature features she had never seen like lake placcid, deep rising, leviathon and the relic (damn that used to seem so good :p) i really feel the urge to see some more, i'm not really in the place for oldschool black and white creatures like them or the black scorpion, not in the mood for these awful useless cgi contemporary movies like razortooth, and last time i posted this kind of thread on a diff forum everyone just went on about alien and jaws and godzilla, and i'm more after some of the ones buried under time and forgotten.

I would like to know of any 70's to now creature features people enjoyed as there must be thousands i haven't seen, and everyday keep finding new ones that are cool in their own retro style, yesterday bad moon and ginger snaps 3 were a great werewolf day

so any ideas on whats loved and hated in the mixed bag world of monster movies?

Joe Dante's Piranha is an underated creature feature.

Stan Winston's directorial debut 'Pumpkinhead' which was known as 'Vengeance The Demon' is an unsung horror classic, much better than the awful sequels. Those two spring to mind, there are lots more. I'll post later. I was bought up on them!

The Blob
The Triffids
The Fly
The Creature From The Black Lagoon

i'm not really in the place for oldschool black and white creatures like them or the black scorpion,

Think The Creature From The Black Lagoon falls into that category.

Alligator Alligator (1980)
Q The Winged Serpent.
Anaconda
Mimic

Slithis
Blood Beach
Humanoids From The Deep
It's Alive
The Prophecy
C.H.U.D.
Basket Case

Mr Fred
Cheers for the two, i absolutely adore Pumpkinhead, had the vhs when it was vengeance, and just so you know they have ruined it further as it now has 4 sequels, but still no good sequel. The original had cinematography and direction which were astounding, and the creature was.. well its stan winston so you know how good it is, shame the most expesnsive part of the suit was making the eyes move, then they chose to give it pure white eyes :p Pirahna is a classic, how often do you get to see lots of kids eaten aside maybe jaws

Pincho Paxton
is that your real name, cause i may pilfer it for a script, its an awesome name, anyhoo, love all of these, must confess i prefer the remakes of the fly and the blob, well i only like the 1988 version of the blob, mcqueen is the man but the 1958 one is just blue screened jelly, least the new one was acidic :p

Garett:
Alligator was a film i loved as a kid i forgot it wexisted, or maybe the sequel which threw in corrupt poloticians and a crime subplot which was awful made me mentally block it, but i'll have to rehunt that movie. Q is a classic and mimic is one of my all time favourite films, so underrated. Can't enjoy anaconda, but i really enjoyed the sequel, especially with lines liuke, that anaconda we just saw was of biblical proportions the cahnces of seeing another would be astronomical (cue millions of them turning up) but thanks for reminding me of alligator, which made me remember cannabilistic humanoid underground dwellers

DickieDuvet:
i actually haven't seen some of these, so thankyou thankyou, well two, unless slithis was meant to be slither, which was a major let down for me, but hey, everyone else seemed to like it, i prefer slugs as what film has a man bitten in his glove and rarther than remove the glove to investigate the source just begins chopping his hand off with an axe :) Chud was so cool when i was little, shame about chud 2: chud the bud, and basket case, well all 3 basket cases are classic, hope you've seen the diorectors other movie brain damage. The prophecy is just 2 great films and a poor but necessary for plot 3rd movie, and its alive, hell killer babies films shoudl be made as often here as killer foetus films are made in Japan :p never even heard of blood beach so i'll add that to my huntin list

Thankyou all please keep recommendations coming :)

Slithis is a crazy man in a rubber suit job from the mid 70's, Classic :)

The Prophecy was the mutant giant bear movie from 1978, you need to see it.

just went on imdb, dear jesus this looks amazing in that not amazing but so daft i will love it cause i can appreciate trash cinema sort of way :) as for blood beach this looks like a poor mans tremors, which i thought was tremors 2 (i liked the other sequels), i must see these both now, damn they will be hard to find, i would have once relied on the sci-fi channel but they keep making their own inept movies and only show them now :(

Think The Creature From The Black Lagoon falls into that category.

Alligator Alligator (1980)
Q The Winged Serpent.
Anaconda
Mimic

Lol... I could have sworn it was in colour. Maybe I saw the remake pictures?

Mr Fred
Cheers for the two, i absolutely adore Pumpkinhead, had the vhs when it was vengeance, and just so you know they have ruined it further as it now has 4 sequels, but still no good sequel. The original had cinematography and direction which were astounding, and the creature was.. well its stan winston so you know how good it is, shame the most expesnsive part of the suit was making the eyes move, then they chose to give it pure white eyes :p Pirahna is a classic, how often do you get to see lots of kids eaten aside maybe jaws

Pincho Paxton
is that your real name, cause i may pilfer it for a script, its an awesome name, anyhoo, love all of these, must confess i prefer the remakes of the fly and the blob, well i only like the 1988 version of the blob, mcqueen is the man but the 1958 one is just blue screened jelly, least the new one was acidic :p

Garett:
Alligator was a film i loved as a kid i forgot it wexisted, or maybe the sequel which threw in corrupt poloticians and a crime subplot which was awful made me mentally block it, but i'll have to rehunt that movie. Q is a classic and mimic is one of my all time favourite films, so underrated. Can't enjoy anaconda, but i really enjoyed the sequel, especially with lines liuke, that anaconda we just saw was of biblical proportions the cahnces of seeing another would be astronomical (cue millions of them turning up) but thanks for reminding me of alligator, which made me remember cannabilistic humanoid underground dwellers

DickieDuvet:
i actually haven't seen some of these, so thankyou thankyou, well two, unless slithis was meant to be slither, which was a major let down for me, but hey, everyone else seemed to like it, i prefer slugs as what film has a man bitten in his glove and rarther than remove the glove to investigate the source just begins chopping his hand off with an axe :) Chud was so cool when i was little, shame about chud 2: chud the bud, and basket case, well all 3 basket cases are classic, hope you've seen the diorectors other movie brain damage. The prophecy is just 2 great films and a poor but necessary for plot 3rd movie, and its alive, hell killer babies films shoudl be made as often here as killer foetus films are made in Japan :p never even heard of blood beach so i'll add that to my huntin list

Thankyou all please keep recommendations coming :)

Lol.. I use it in my own scripts sometimes, and on my artwork, and my music, and my games. It's not my real name however.

have blood beach and the prophecy on the way :) can't believe the prophecy slipped me by (the other two its more acceptable as well how many billuions of rubber suit crap creature beach films are there)

More to the point can't believe its made by the guy who made manch mutant bear... bring it. i have a thing for mutant creatures, killer croc films at the top of my list, and luckily with placcid, black water and rogue some of them are seriously good

paxton, this is wise indeed to sign your name on your work, but some drunken weekends of music videos i have had to make or the ones i just wish i hadn't needed the money for like grab my balls by hip hop band kamjaws, i reserve muy own name and use alan smithee instead :) what are your scripts on? my latest one is killer apples from pesticide, i'm sure people will think its an environmental comment, it isn't i just needed an excuse to make them alive, i was bored :p

oops only just noticed it isn't your real name, top name to come up with, my usual for scripts is the most bum character called baron von gurpengruder

have blood beach and the prophecy on the way :) can't believe the prophecy slipped me by (the other two its more acceptable as well how many billuions of rubber suit crap creature beach films are there)

More to the point can't believe its made by the guy who made manch mutant bear... bring it. i have a thing for mutant creatures, killer croc films at the top of my list, and luckily with placcid, black water and rogue some of them are seriously good

Did you order the Paramount DVD of Prophecy, It's a great widescreen transfer. Not sure if it's available on R2. I had the R1 version years ago.

paxton, this is wise indeed to sign your name on your work, but some drunken weekends of music videos i have had to make or the ones i just wish i hadn't needed the money for like grab my balls by hip hop band kamjaws, i reserve muy own name and use alan smithee instead :) what are your scripts on? my latest one is killer apples from pesticide, i'm sure people will think its an environmental comment, it isn't i just needed an excuse to make them alive, i was bored :p

My latest script is similar to Cloverfield with a story developing in real time.

Giant Killer apples with legs, yeah that would work :rotfl:

raigraphixs:
love the thinking, genius =D

Dickieduvet:
indeed it is the R1, R2 rarely release the less known gems but have suprised me with some astonishing releases not seen in R, i should see the film in good quality in widescreen, but something almost seems lost without the lice all over my screen and fullscreen format, when i first saw my tremors dvd i kept expecting an ad break i was so used to the days of tv :p but seriously i can't wait for a mutant bear film, don't think i've seen any killer bear films, aside that hilarious documentary Grizzly man about the guy who lived with bears for 7 years, or was it 12, then got eaten by them, i prefer to call the documentary 'Why Did I Live With Bears????' :rotfl:

Pincho Paxton
sounds sweet, i absolutleyy love cloverfield, some people i know absolutely hated it, i describe it as a filmmakers film as those who really know their movies seem to appreciate what the film achieved, but also on a popcorn entertainment movie level i think its immense, ****** on most giant hollywood monster movies from such a great height the **** froze and smashed them (i mean the likes of godzilla n journey to the center of the earth) but sounds really cool

Bosque:
The apples will be much more rubbish than having legs, in fact i'm hoping its lamer, camper and stoopider than attack of the killer tomatoes, hell part of me just wants normal sized apples with marker pen smiles on them but with killer gore and explosion effects. i kept making serious things for tv and i miss being covered in blood making god awful homages and so am working on making this the most rediculous movie and then post it on youtube, last one i made was back in 2001 called darkness of the leafy field 3, (the sequel anti-chav is in development too) it makes little to no sense but its fun, and prob on youtube still, my killer apple movie anti apples of evil V is on there and i made that when i was 15 :p. wow i've made some rubbish,. and i love it

wow i can't say pissing can i say urinating?

A few more suggestions for you
Gargoyles
Xtro -the original not the crappy sequels
Street trash
The stuff
Life force
Braindead and Bad taste -both by Peter Jackson

A classic creature feature and an all time favourite of mine has to be Snow Beast.

Here is a 4min 44sec clip, which leads to one of the beasts killings. I have seen this film so many times.

YouTube - Snowbeast 1977

The Trollenberg Terror is a creature feature, unfortunately I wish I could forget it.

Dire, truly dire.

A few more suggestions for you
Gargoyles
Would like to catch this again myself.

Another worth watching is 'Bug' (1975, Bradford Dillman).
and 'Phase IV' (1974, Nigel Davenport) - not really a 'creature feature' as such, but worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Another worth watching is 'Bug' (1975, Bradford Dillman).
I have that on DVD and still can't watch it. The stuff of childhood nightmares that was for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom