Underfloor subwoofer

stevie0

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the very early stages of planning a home cinema room and the BK Monolith Sub I have is too deep for my planned baffle wall, so I got to thinking is it possible to install subwoofers under my floor ?

I have quite a large area under the proposed cinema room floor ( I easily get the BK under!)

I am brand new to this and my thought process was that it may give some tactile response if it was below floor level, go easy on me if its a silly idea…

There are certainly in wall, in ceiling and even on wall subs, they tend to be more installer supply and fit.

A traditional subs may be harder to position to get the performance out of them, the driver and ports would still have to be in the room somehow.

Hi all, I am in the very early stages of planning a home cinema room and the BK Monolith Sub I have is too deep for my planned baffle wall, so I got to thinking is it possible to install subwoofers under my floor ?

I have quite a large area under the proposed cinema room floor ( I easily get the BK under!)

I am brand new to this and my thought process was that it may give some tactile response if it was below floor level, go easy on me if its a silly idea…

Not silly at all. It's one of the many ways people fit Infinite Baffle subs. If you google it you should find a lot of ideas floating around. All you need is some basic DIY skills. It'll be the last subwoofer system you'll ever need. To give you an idea:

download.jpg6912055736_9709cbb314_b.jpgSub1.JPG

Not silly at all. It's one of the many ways people fit Infinite Baffle subs. If you google it you should find a lot of ideas floating around. All you need is some basic DIY skills. It'll be the last subwoofer system you'll ever need. To give you an idea:

View attachment 1636350View attachment 1636351View attachment 1636352
Thanks, those look like home made which is probably beyond my skills of DIY, time to get googling!

But if I was to mount my BK underneath the floor pointing upwards I guess that would solve my size issue on it with regards the baffle wall, and I could add more later if I needed to.

The alternative is to find something that would fit in the wall of equal performance to the BK, but I will be governed by approx 400mm depth.

Thanks, those look like home made which is probably beyond my skills of DIY, time to get googling!

But if I was to mount my BK underneath the floor pointing upwards I guess that would solve my size issue on it with regards the baffle wall, and I could add more later if I needed to.

The alternative is to find something that would fit in the wall of equal performance to the BK, but I will be governed by approx 400mm depth.

Time to brush up on those DIY skills whilst researching IB systems me thinks. :D

For now you can go with either in-wall or under floor. The only thing, as Chris said above, if you plan to locate it under the floor there has to be a cut out or something that allows the driver and port to fire into the room. I like this idea over the in-wall option since it appears you have less restrictions in terms of size, quantity and possibly placement. You could also re-purpose those cutouts in the future if you do get round to an Infinite Baffle system.

Just a piece of advice, unless you are extremely limited as to where exactly you could place the sub/s under floor, I'd take multiple measurements of the sub starting with the four corner of the room and middle of each wall. This will help determine the ideal location of sub/s for best frequency response when you do fit them under the floor.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom