1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

underfloor heating & speaker cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by marcoeser, Nov 8, 2003.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I'll be putting underfloor heating throughout my new house, including the home cinema. I'm thinking of how to run the rear speaker cables from the front of the room to the rear. I'd like to run them under the floor in drain pipes, but I don't know how the heating will effect the singal in the cables?

marc

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm in the same boat with my barn conversion. My floor will consist of a 4" concrete slab (just put this in), then 50mm of the heating insulation stuff (with the pipes in it). Then 65mm of screed.

After much thought and consultation with the makers (Osma) I have decided to leave a 2" channel around the outside of the room for cabling. I'll be fitting real slate flooring so the channel will eventually be covered over but I plan to leave access points at each corner so I can pull cables through if I need to.

3. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    steve,
    the 'moat' sounds like a good plan, the easiest.
    My flooring will be roughly the same. The house is of reinforced concrete. Then the heating stuff will go down, then some sort of stone tiles (not yet chosen). Then some rugs for decoration and sound control.

I've read on these forums that some people have put their cables behind removable skirting - its a good idea too.

marc