Underfloor heating for kitchen and hallway with tiled floor

Thanks for the reality check. I was intending to install Italian Marble tiles in the bathrom that would increase the floor height by 1cm. Extending it another 15mm with electric underfloor heating just won't work :(

How come? Usually the transition against carpet/underlay isn’t too bad with a decent threshold.

Edit; oh you would need an anti crack matt on the board before you tile too.....or a thicker decoupling membrane.....more height I’m afraid. Mainly because it’s marble.

I stand by my statement that a Tiler should be doing the prep work. He is best placed to deal with working with the board, mixing up the adhesive, levelling the floor by pinging a laser line around points in the room, latexing to those markers. A Tiler should never be in a position where he has to tile directly on to the bare wire. That’s a bodge/DIY job.

If a Tiler is unable to do these things then perhaps he’s not a modern day Tiler as you need to do these things nowadays to provide a flawless finish. Tiling has evolved in recent years.

I'll be in touch when I next have to install electric underfloor heating :thumbsup:

My last electric UFH, one of the issues was the client did not want the difference between the tiled ensuite & adjacent bathroom (I've mentioned this one before). He obtained the install design from the manufacture, and we laid the cables onto ply not backerboard nor insulation board, covered by tiles (due to the room layout, lifting the subfloor wasn't an option. Even then, he was miffed at the differing floor heights.

Personally, I would never install electric UFH in my own home, its too expensive to run, especially if the idea is to heat the room, insulation or not. I wouldn't install it either, just to take the chill off the floor. But thats my opinion.

Why don't they like the air handling and UFH.?

When the system is working correctly, it provides very balanced heating. It (this particular one) has to be run 24/7, and due to the design of heating the concrete slab, can take up to 24hrs to change room temps.

Most of the problems we have balancing, is the occupants feeling the need to open windows for 'fresh' air, which then throws it out of kilter. They are provided with fresh air by the air handling system, but people just like to have an open windows.

Last edited:
We actually have electric under floor heating, or kitchen is not small by any standards, nor utility room, nor bathrooms. If I had other tiled areas I'd have it installed every single time.

I also don't get the comments about running costs. I can't see a material difference between summer and winter in our electric bill.

Some feedback from an actual owner who's been running this for nearly 20 years in the UK and before that abroad as well...

Thanks all. My builder has said there is room to install 6mm boards and the thin mat type electric UFH. He recommended Warmup as the best, but not the cheapest, so I've gone for that. 9 sq.m of 150w Warmup sticky mat and their 6mm insulation boards which seem to have much better insulating ratings than cheaper boards I've seen online. If nothing else, it might make the house more attractive if/when we eventually sell it!

Now looking at controls. Still thinking of going with Heatmiser due to the Apple Homekit and Alexa integration which might be useful.

We've gone for heatmiser a long time ago as they control panels looked nice, and even then had a modern look. Very flat and unobtrusive. They've been proven to work well. I wanted to upgrade to the smart versions, but as they've been working for so long and never had to touch them I couldn't justify it.

However installing it again, based upon my past experience I'd install Heatmiser control panel instantly. And especially the HomeKit compatible version :) I use Netatmo HomeKit compatible central heating control, and TRV's through out the rest of the house. The cameras are also HomeKit compatible. It just makes it very easy for everyone in the family to integrate everything.

Enjoy, it will be awesome.

I can’t speak for Heatmiser personally but don’t go for the warmup controller. I find them bad to use- both the 3ie and the 4ie.

Nothing wrong with the UFH wire at all- good choice.

Is there a product which will control my gas central heating, hot water, and electric underfloor heating, all in one easy to use unit, ideally controllable by Alexa and Apple Home Kit?

I’m looking at Heatmiser, but I’ve read reports of it being really complicated and difficult to use, also looking at Tado, but I’ve read it doesn’t have a floor temperature sensor, so not really sure how that works.

We've gone for heatmiser a long time ago as they control panels looked nice, and even then had a modern look. Very flat and unobtrusive. They've been proven to work well. I wanted to upgrade to the smart versions, but as they've been working for so long and never had to touch them I couldn't justify it.

However installing it again, based upon my past experience I'd install Heatmiser control panel instantly. And especially the HomeKit compatible version :) I use Netatmo HomeKit compatible central heating control, and TRV's through out the rest of the house. The cameras are also HomeKit compatible. It just makes it very easy for everyone in the family to integrate everything.

Enjoy, it will be awesome.

Thanks a lot. I replied above before reading your post. So you don't find them complicated or unreliable?

So I was looking at this heating and hot water controller…

Heatmiser neoKit 2 - (Smart Control of Heating & Hot Water)

And this underfloor heating thermostat….

Heatmiser neoStat-e V2 - Electric Floor Heating Thermostat

I’ve found the heating and hot water controller on eBay, but it seems too cheap. Seems too good to be true?!

HomeKit Enabled – Heatmiser neoKit 2 V2 – Glacier White | eBay

I have emailed him, got a reply back saying “hi it is complete not opened !! I can send you tomorrow, on a Thursday it would be 100% Thx”

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
We actually have electric under floor heating, or kitchen is not small by any standards, nor utility room, nor bathrooms. If I had other tiled areas I'd have it installed every single time.

I also don't get the comments about running costs. I can't see a material difference between summer and winter in our electric bill.

Some feedback from an actual owner who's been running this for nearly 20 years in the UK and before that abroad as well...

You wait until you turn it on. :D

We had electric UFH at our previous property in our conservatory, 7m x 4.5m - it made it useable pretty much year round - might have to supplement it a bit during winter months - cost about £1 a day to use it - but well worth it. Added just a few mm to the installed height of the tiles.

In our current house, we put wet UFH through our extension 7m x 8m - and it's great - Karndean over the top. Nice to be able to walk around barefoot in the mornings.

Sounds like you're sorted - you won't regret it!

Last edited:
When the system is working correctly, it provides very balanced heating. It (this particular one) has to be run 24/7, and due to the design of heating the concrete slab, can take up to 24hrs to change room temps.

Most of the problems we have balancing, is the occupants feeling the need to open windows for 'fresh' air, which then throws it out of kilter. They are provided with fresh air by the air handling system, but people just like to have an open windows.
We've just fitted a NIBE unit to run alongside a ground-source heat pump, and two miles of underfloor heating, yes the house is completely sealed. Fortunately the customer keeps his windows closed.

So to conclude the thread, I bought a Warmup 9sq. M 150w underfloor heating set on a mat, and a Heatmiser underfloor heating controller and thermostat. I also bought a Heatmiser hot water and central heating controller and thermostat to go with it.

We ended up buying a tall 180 x 40cm aluminium radiator for the kitchen as well as a feature for the end wall, so it should be nice and warm in there!

The underfloor heating and controller have all been fitted. Tiling is being finished today, so hope to be able to use it next week.

I hope the UFH isn’t going on next week if it’s just being finished. Far too early.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Only got one of the Heatmiser controllers fitted so far. The UFH controller. The old central heating thermostat will be replaced with a Heatmiser as well.

D2C7B87B-3EDD-4721-B7C2-5898A3653360.jpeg
21590060-607B-48D5-91E2-25F92F537E69.jpeg
62CA8211-5AFE-4DE3-8265-19EC476DAFD8.jpeg

Last edited:
Please don’t turn it on after a week even if the builder says it’s ok. Most adhesives will set after 24 hours maximum. Rapidset far sooner. However it takes a number of weeks for adhesive to fully cure and reach the proper bond strength. I don’t commission until 28 days have passed. Then increase the temperature by 1 degree per day.

Please don’t turn it on after a week even if the builder says it’s ok. Most adhesives will set after 24 hours maximum. Rapidset far sooner. However it takes a number of weeks for adhesive to fully cure and reach the proper bond strength. I don’t commission until 28 days have passed. Then increase the temperature by 1 degree per day.

Ok thanks. I’ve not yet spoken to the builder about it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom