under powered receiver?

adox

Ex Member
Reaction score
this related to a thread i posted on the speakers and subwoofers page. it was relating to mission m73 speakers i bought and thought that the treble on the speaker when playing music sounded a bit too bright and forward on the sound stage, with hihats being especially prodominant.
some of the feedback back i got suggested that my receiver might be underpowered for the speakers i am using. i don`t honestly think this is the case, but would be interested in any comment.
my receiver is a sony str de475-5 channells x 80 watts.

thanks

I have heard a couple of Sony amps, (in fact my son has just sold one), I found them to have an overly bright sound to them, especially with music. As the amp sounds fine with movies how about adjusting the treble just for when you are listening to music, see if that tames it down. :)

id agree with bob, the speakers really arent much of a load even for the amp you have, it should be ok.

ad

have tried that and it improves a bit but the problem is not actually with the openness of the treble, rather the volume of hihat cymbals etc on the soundstage, rather like they are at a higher voulme to the rest of the music, and grab your attention too much at times dominating the sounstage, especially for "open" hihat sounds which feature in alot of rock music.

sounds like your amp just isnt good enough for what you want...... I think it is simply a matter of quality of sound if what you say is correct.

ad

The wattage doesn't have the big effect people think. It's better to have your amp with a lot of "grunt"

Originally posted by mjn
The wattage doesn't have the big effect people think. It's better to have your amp with a lot of "grunt"

thats the technical term is it!? I presume you mean it can deliver a good current? :D

ad

buns, should you really be posting about current? Someone is bound to get the wrong idea :D
In this case it's more likely to be a combination of Sony amplification and Mission tweeters - both regarded as generally bright sounding. Sorry Adox.

evilmudge,

thanks for the most straight forward reply i have had to this post.
i`m going to persevere with the set up i have and hope my ears can adjust to the sound.
i,ve just recently bought a pair of m70,s to use as rears so i won,t be changing the speakers`so that leaves the receiver, but i dont have the budget to change that either!!
the missus says the sound is fine, but i`ve got into the habit of listening out for the brightness which doesnt help.
if i do decide to change the receiver any suggestions for a replacement for around the same price, and is it worth it ?

thanks again

Adox, sounds like music is pretty important to you. Keep the Sony for surround duties and get a dedicated stereo amp for the fronts for around £200. See Nad or Arcam (even very toasty Yamaha) which have a warmer tone than your Sony. This will help tame the Mission's top-end (I have the same set) and give you much better CD listening than the Sony could hope for. You'll kepp all the suround impact, you'll just add another smaller box to the room ie. ask the Boss;)

Originally posted by buns
thats the technical term is it!? I
ad

yes :)

just as "knackered" is aswell

nobber 22,

sounds good in theory but how am i going to run it, using the m73,s for both. cant imagine changing speaker connections everytime i switch between movies and music, and as far as i know there is no coonection on my receiver for an external amp(although i might be wrong). the receiver is a sony str de475.
thanks

you connect the preouts on the sony to an auxilliary input on a stereo amp. Then simply select that auxilliary any time you want to do movies.

easy really.

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom