Under cupboard kitchen lighting - Shelley?

Thursday

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am about to start a kitchen refurb and plan to replace existing mini fluorescents under the cupboards with led lighting. I'm not sure whether a Shelley RGBW2 would be the right choice for control and would appreciate some advice.

The mini fluorescents are in 3 groups each with their own mains power feed all controlled from 1 wall switch. The groups are a 4m run of cupboards on one side of the room and two 2m runs either side of a hob/extractor. Where the mains feed splits for each I have no idea but assume in the ceiling void.

I like the idea of tunable led strip but I'm a bit lost as to what/which to buy and whether I need just 2 strips with the one on the hob/extractor having a connector to bridge the gap. Or can I have just one strip with large and small connectors to bridge the gaps. Or do I need 3 strips? That would mean 3 power blocks. Does that also mean 3 Shelley RGBW2s? I assume so. I don't need the strips to be individually controllable but operate as one group. I will replace the existing switch with a 3 way retractive switch.

As you can see, I'm a bit lost. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Seb - read through your post and gave it a go. Didn't get offered the same screen for device selection so guess the app has changed?

Did one that way and it took 20+ minutes. Tried another and gave up after failing to connect with multiple attempts, app on and off, device powered on and off, still app failed to complete. Having called the web interface cumbersome it is slick in comparison :)

Gone back to web interface and doing one every 5 min which is much less frustrating.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Odd.
I have Home screen (rooms/groups/scenes).
Hamburger top left opens up Settings and account. Settings contains add device/room/group/scene.
Click add device and I get "scanning wifi networks"
Next page lists the networks available.
Select network then searches for devices
Next page lists those found not yet set up
I don't ever get the module list that you show in your earlier post

Upvote 0
This is what you should see

Attachments

• 0480B3E2-1593-46DF-9905-FFA5A7DB2AD4.png
    0480B3E2-1593-46DF-9905-FFA5A7DB2AD4.png
    806 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
Ah, think we are talking at cross purposes. Yes, that's what I see. I said I'm not seeing the screens you posted which were referred to above by RobTi e.g.

img_5761-png.1497864

quote "Seb - read through your post and gave it a go. Didn't get offered the same screen for device selection so guess the app has changed?"

Upvote 0
That screen comes up two further clicks along

Attachments

• AAC7E467-1CB3-4AFA-9DE3-997B6A974B22.png
    AAC7E467-1CB3-4AFA-9DE3-997B6A974B22.png
    613 KB · Views: 40
  • FBA0E85E-C6A1-4885-A473-9A3CDFC2060C.png
    FBA0E85E-C6A1-4885-A473-9A3CDFC2060C.png
    773.1 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
Hmm. Nope, never saw that one. Don't think I ever managed to complete one through the app. Either start to finish via web interface or finished via web interface. I guess I never got that far.

All 10 dimmer2s done now so no problem. Just the RGBW2 to do but I'll leave that until it goes live.

In some switch boxes I'll have 2 dimmer2 running. Hopefully heat build up won't be a problem. Have you ever found it to be?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quick update if anyone is interested.

All the Shellys are installed now. I ended up with 14 Dimmer2 and 1 RGBW2. They control about 5 bulbs each and 4 white strips for the RGBW2. Automation is a mix of Shelley app and Amazon. Works well together. Voice control too.

I had a neutral run to every Shelly because I thought that may be useful in the future, if not necessarily needed now. The only installation problem I ran into was with the RGBW2 which was faulty: channel 3 wasn't switchable or dimmable and gave out a constant 24v.

Happy with it all apart from one thing. I get an occasional momentary flicker from different lights. I'm wondering if I can do anything in the app e.g. "anti flickering debounce", though I'm not sure what setting or even if this would help. Hopefully the answer isn't new bulbs. I've fitted Megaman which are thought of as good quality bulbs I think, so would be disappointed to have to throw those and buy new.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom