Under cupboard kitchen lighting - Shelley?

Thursday

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am about to start a kitchen refurb and plan to replace existing mini fluorescents under the cupboards with led lighting. I'm not sure whether a Shelley RGBW2 would be the right choice for control and would appreciate some advice.

The mini fluorescents are in 3 groups each with their own mains power feed all controlled from 1 wall switch. The groups are a 4m run of cupboards on one side of the room and two 2m runs either side of a hob/extractor. Where the mains feed splits for each I have no idea but assume in the ceiling void.

I like the idea of tunable led strip but I'm a bit lost as to what/which to buy and whether I need just 2 strips with the one on the hob/extractor having a connector to bridge the gap. Or can I have just one strip with large and small connectors to bridge the gaps. Or do I need 3 strips? That would mean 3 power blocks. Does that also mean 3 Shelley RGBW2s? I assume so. I don't need the strips to be individually controllable but operate as one group. I will replace the existing switch with a 3 way retractive switch.

As you can see, I'm a bit lost. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

I'm just in the process of selecting switches now.

I can find 3 position (2 position centre off) retractive switches for the three Dimmer2 circuits - from Gridpro and Varilight for example. But I can't find anything described as a "momentary" switch in those ranges for the RGBW2.

Is a 2 way retractive the right momentary when used with the RGBW2?

Sorry if I'm being dim :)

Upvote 0
Ah, OK thank you Seb. For some reason that one wasn't showing on the site I looked at. Presumably Gridpro also do one if I go with that range? Again, couldn't see one on electrical2go.

Upvote 0
Checked a couple of sites and seems not. Shame as I preferred the Gridpro system. Looks like Varilight it is then, though can only find it in white and I wanted steel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wondering - when soldering wire to the LED strips do you just leave the connection bare or use something like a heat shrink covering? In a steamy kitchen area bare seems possibly problematic or is it just the led chips that need the IP65 covering rating?

Upvote 0
There is talk of the RGBW2 getting dimming functions later on with a firmware update, also would these not do you image.jpg brushed stainless with white insert 3 position retractive gridpro switches, still to be finished.Only starting out myself so I don’t know exactly what you want
Switchesimage.jpg

Upvote 0
I joined my L1 and L2 together just so I could have the same matching switches and even more out the box I then split the switched live at the other end so I could control my 2 RGBW2 for top and bottom cupboard LEDs. Maybe in the future I will run another SL to have separate switch control but I was just happy to have finished

Upvote 0
Shelly dimmers and RGBW2, LED strip, switches etc have arrived. Electrician starts Monday - wish me luck :)

I've decided to update other lighting in the house at the same time so he will be installing an additional six dimmer2s as well as the other 3 dimmer2 and the RGBW2.

I'm thinking that may be a nightmare to try and commission all of that once installed so wondered if I should set up a small test circuit over the weekend and individually power up and set up each Shelly device in advance.

Is that a good idea or will I be OK doing all of them once "live"?

Also, is there a dimmer2 set up guide anywhere for 3 position retractive switches? Software not wiring.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I always try and set them up before installing them in the wall

Software wise all you have to do is in the app set the button type to Dual Button Mode

Upvote 0
Thank you Seb.

I assume a fixed IP is best? I've made things extra complicated for myself by switching broadband suppliers so I'll have a new router etc to contend with not long after I've set them up.

Upvote 0
Just set the new router with the same range , and reserved IP addresses as the old one

Yes fixed Ip is best
You can always set up the new router with the same ssid and password and they should find it, also as @Seb Briggs says set up on a test bench/kitchen worktop with a plug and some cable you only need live and neutral and set them all up before fitting

Upvote 0
I've started setting up the dimmer2s but fell at the first hurdle - just can't get the Shelly app to discover each device when powered up. Made sure phone is connected to the 2.4 network. cellular off, but nothing.

However, I can see the Shelly device via my PC so I've used that. More cumbersome than the app would be I think but at least it works.

Interestingly, once set up via PC/web interface, the app can see the device and it has the parameters correct as per the web set up bar one. The app thinks they don't have cloud access even though the web interface says they have. If I try to add cloud access via the app then it just times out and gives an error.

Anyway, 3 down, 8 more to go.

Upvote 0
You have to connect in the first instance to their own WiFi and then the default ip then input your 2.4 WiFi details, I had a terrible time on my iPhone so set up on the desktop

Upvote 0
Hi Rob. With the app? Not visible on my phone. With the web interface, yes. That's what I did.

Thanks Seb - I'll see if I can find it. But the web interface is fine, if cumbersome.
Any idea why the cloud connection is reported differently between app and web interface?

Upvote 0
Hi Rob. With the app? I thought the whole point of the app was to avoid that. With the web interface, yes. That's what I did.

Thanks Seb - I'll see if I can find it. But the web interface is fine, if cumbersome.
Any idea why the cloud connection is reported differently between app and web interface?
on iPhone you have to keep at it seb did a walk through a while back and i had to repeatedly close the app, now for my last few i connect on my desktop to their Wi-Fi and log in to the default address for them then input my Wi-Fi details and then i look for them on my router and log into their address to set them up, then set up static ip and cloud, after that all mine work great but only have dimmer2,shelly 1 and RGBW2 in my house.
@Seb Briggs is the real expert and helped me out no end

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom