Question Under counter lighting - adding HomeKit controllability. What do I need?

Inked

Distinguished Member
Currently have three under counter kitchen lights (small halogen, can't remember exactly which bulbs, but will update once I've checked) and would like to add the ability to control them via HomeKit but unsure of what I'd need.

They are wired in with one of these transformers to each fitting, is there a device that can simply be wired in either in line with this or completely replacing it that would give me smart functionality? (As long as HomeKit can be added via HOOBs if not native to the platform)

I wouldn't want to have to use IFTTT or Yonomi

(I'm pretty sure there is and I've been told before, but I can't for the life of me find the thread).
IMG_0135.JPG

mushii

Distinguished Member
You want them to connect between the power and the power input side of your transformers. It is the side marked 'OUT' that you connect to the transformer

1611776362331.png

mushii

Distinguished Member
Those transformers need 20w min so you can either use multiple bulbs to bring it up to a minimum of 20w or insert a dimmer bypass to provide a resistive load to let the transformer work properly. Alternatively buy new transformers to match your requirements

Inked

Distinguished Member
Those transformers need 20w min so you can either use multiple bulbs to bring it up to a minimum of 20w or insert a dimmer bypass to provide a resistive load to let the transformer work properly. Alternatively buy new transformers to match your requirements
Thanks again. Probably easier to replace the transformers completely.
Guessing something like this?
New! LED Driver Transformer 240V - 12V with Terminal Blocks, 0.5 to 12W / 240v AC to 12v DC/Zero Interference with Dab and WiFi Amazon product

mrmhf

Last week, we installed Eve light strips under the cabinets in our kitchen. They’re brilliant and HomeKit enabled. We used LED drivers instead of the plugs for a neater finish.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Last week, we installed Eve light strips under the cabinets in our kitchen. They’re brilliant and HomeKit enabled. We used LED drivers instead of the plugs for a neater finish.

I don’t fancy a load of routing wires when there is already lighting there. The inline switches should work fine.

Thanks though

Inked

Distinguished Member
Finally got round to opening the boxes and one of the switches is actually labelled as a Lomota garage door opener with a 5v input so I haven’t used it.
The other has been wired in successfully, and other than being a bit loud when switching on and off, works well.
3F7EDED7-36A2-4DD9-8B10-3462DF451BD8.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom