Under $10k audio system

eipi10

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on a set of speakers and receiver for under $10k. I'm most interested in the quality of the sound for listening to music (especially classical and jazz). I'd also like to have a surround-sound cinema experience, but that's a much lower priority. Any recommendations, however simple, would be appreciated, because I know nothing.

You didn´t mention anything about your room, are you looking standmount speakers or floorstanding speakers. If the latter then example have a look at Kef R5/R7/R11, Revel F206/F208, B&W 703 S2/702 S2, Monitor Audio Gold 200/300 to name few popular choices. You have to go listen and compare speakers to find out which brand excites you most (bring your favourite music with you), so check which hifi shops you have locally in LA and then call there to book demo time! Each brand has center channel to partner with mains from same range and you can choose surround speakers from same range or perhaps one below to save some money as your main use is music listening. You can always start with 2.1/3.1 (front speakers + subwoofer) and add the rest later, or if you have poor space for center channel then perhaps 4.1 system (front mains + surround sides + subwoofer). We can only guess without knowing anything your room what is possible there.

For av-receiver the new Anthem could be great option which no doubt is going to sound great with quality speakers!

Perhaps Arcam AVR20 too, not sure are some of the bugs fixed yet. It ain´t cheap though!

Subwoofer for movies/music have a look at SVS and Rythmik Audio, both companies should offer gloss black/white finish if you want something nice looking plus of course the usual black ash/satin black. If you don´t care much about the finish and size much there is other options which may be cheaper and offer greater performance/value ratio depending what you looking for. You can contact each company via email with the information about your room, any requirements regarding size/finish and little information about your usage is it movies mostly (streaming/blurays) how loud you listen and what kind of experience you are after cause some want to shook the room more than is possible in local theater and others want less imposing experience. One thing to keep in mind is the dual subwoofer route which has benefits assuming you have free hands with placing the woofers optimally, this could open a door for smaller woofers (2 smaller vs. 1 larger) aswell. Read the last link below so you understand the concept behind it as many thinks it`s just about adding more bass.

Couple articles to read:

Thank you for taking the time to help! I will work through these recommendations on floor-standing speakers and receiver.

We are actually searching for a new house right now. We are looking for a house with a room that will make a good music / home theater room. I anticipate that it will be 15x20. We will use floor-standing speakers for the best quality.

I already have a decent center speaker (Aperion 5C) that we can use for movies. We also have two Aperion 6T speakers, two Aperion 5T speakers, and a Bravus 2 subwoofer. Maybe we could use those towers for surround? Not sure if the subwoofer is good enough.

Thank you for taking the time to help! I will work through these recommendations on floor-standing speakers and receiver.

We are actually searching for a new house right now. We are looking for a house with a room that will make a good music / home theater room. I anticipate that it will be 15x20. We will use floor-standing speakers for the best quality.

I already have a decent center speaker (Aperion 5C) that we can use for movies. We also have two Aperion 6T speakers, two Aperion 5T speakers, and a Bravus 2 subwoofer. Maybe we could use those towers for surround? Not sure if the subwoofer is good enough.

Those were just few options to consider, there is so many options in US with the ID brands including..

So you already have decent system there, but you feel the 6T floorstanders are lacking for 2ch listening? Which av-receiver are you running them with now?

You can certainly start with the rest of your speakers if you want to change the main speakers. The center channel looks fine as does the subwoofer too, but as always it depends if you are satisfied.. If your room is now larger and you are moving to smaller room then the Bravus II subwoofer could suprise you, assuming you can place it optimally too. Keep in mind if the sub sounds good you could always consider adding 2nd.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom