uncompressed PCM soundtracks

regishaunus

Standard Member
Reaction score
evening all,

Well, thanks to Kingfats and other persons on here my wallet is now £320 lighter I bought a PS3 with Pirates 3'

First impressions ...............:D I am loving uncompressed PCM over HDMI :smashin:

someone asked on a previous post if they would notice a "big" difference in sound quality from regular DD/DTS to PCM... IMHO YES!

Anyone got a list of Bluray titles that carry a PCM soundtrack, need another fix!

Don't forget the PS3 will decode any BR's with True HD or DTS-HD MA lossless soundtracks into uncompressed PCM, which are then basically the same as those with just the PCM on the disc. :smashin:

I have connected my PS3 through optical connection for audio.

Have to say not impressed with the sound. :thumbsdow

You must have some meaty amp to handle PCM.

Most (but not all) amps with HDMI inputs will accept PCM.. :confused:

Optical connection on the PS3 will only give you 'SD audio' for the new HD sound formats from the PS3 you'll need to use HDMI into a compatable receiver... ;)

I've got a 2 year old Pioneer amp that does PCM (it also allows post-processing on said signal). It ain't a big deal these days.

I've been looking at a new amp that can handle HDMI, and I have yet to find one that can do PCM or HD audio within my price range, to be fair my price range is only £200.:D

I don't really need a new amp so I don't care that I can't afford one.

mattclarkie,

currently using a denon 2807 reciever via HDMI from PS3

Iwas going to look into getting a new HD compatible reciever (somthing like a denon 08 series, however, after hearing what the PS3 is capable of via HDMI i am thinking long and hard about changing it.

I think i'm going to get a demo from my local Sevenoaks store to see if an HD decoding reciever really is worth upgrading to.

will let all know my findings after the weekend so may be selling a 2807 soon
:thumbsup:

is there a device that can take the stereo or multichannel pcm audio from a hdmi port and covnert it to stereo/multichannel analogue audio with phono output, basically a D/A convertor with HDMI in and phono out?

is there a device that can take the stereo or multichannel pcm audio from a hdmi port and covnert it to stereo/multichannel analogue audio with phono output, basically a D/A convertor with HDMI in and phono out?

Hi meansizzler. :)
I don't think there is such a device available to buy yet. :(
All the best.

Make sure it's set to bitstream not LPCM in the settings menu.

mattclarkie,

currently using a denon 2807 reciever via HDMI from PS3

Iwas going to look into getting a new HD compatible reciever (somthing like a denon 08 series, however, after hearing what the PS3 is capable of via HDMI i am thinking long and hard about changing it.

I think i'm going to get a demo from my local Sevenoaks store to see if an HD decoding reciever really is worth upgrading to.

will let all know my findings after the weekend so may be selling a 2807 soon
:thumbsup:

Hi regishaunus. :)
Same set-up as you. :smashin:
I tested a couple of amps :) i wanted to see if it was worth upgrading (?) so i could bitstream HD audio.............for me it was not ;) so i'll be keeping my 2807. :D
All the best.

Yep, it's called an Audiolab 8000AP processor. You can get them for around £800 if you search.

Im new to all these new audio standards.
My questio would be can I just use the hdmi connect to choose pmc track via the dvd menu.?
I tried to use the pmc stream today through the optical connects .
I got no information via the amp to tell me if I was useing 5.1 channels.
the sound seemed only to be 2 channels upsampled to ddpl11.
Tomorrow I should have my lx60 to play with.
so much to learn again so little money to spend.
cheers

Are you using a PS3??

I think I'm right in saying that the PS3 will only output 2 channel PCM via optical, if using a PS3 and optical it's best using bitstream output and the PS3 will send 5.1 DD and DTS via the optical.

Only if you use HDMI can you get Multichannel PCM decoded from the DTS-HD and Dolby HD formats by the PS3. (or of course the PCM direct from those title swith just PCM tracks)

If the LX60 accepts PCM audio via HDMI then use that and set your PS3 to PCM output. :smashin:

Im new to all these new audio standards.
My questio would be can I just use the hdmi connect to choose pmc track via the dvd menu.?
I tried to use the pmc stream today through the optical connects .
I got no information via the amp to tell me if I was useing 5.1 channels.
the sound seemed only to be 2 channels upsampled to ddpl11.
Tomorrow I should have my lx60 to play with.
so much to learn again so little money to spend.
cheers

If you have most devices connected via optical using a PCM output all you get is Pro-logic, that is what I get. I am not sure if any devices handle PCM via optical, I know my amp doesn't, and as most high-end amps now use HDMI it is probably dying out in any that did.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom