Uncompressed 5.1 audio - how can I listen to it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ajeighh, May 7, 2007.

1. Ajeighh

Ajeighh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a PS3 and a whole 2 (count 'em) Bluray discs, both of which offer uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio. I am currently home demo-ing an Arcam AVP700 processor which only has pass-through HDMI (as far as I can tell), so I can't get any audio out of this connection, which means I'm left with Dolby Digital out of the optical connection.

Does something like the Denon AVC-A11XVA amp have the capability to put out this uncompressed surround (presumably via HDMI) and how does this audio differ from the new Dolby/DTS formats for Bluray and HD-DVD? Can any processor/amp cope with these yet?

I used to be able to keep up with this sort of thing...:lease:

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

2. KenVal

KenVal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    The ps3 has no 5.1 analogue outputs so you cannot handle uncompressd audio out except via HDMI 1.3 in & outs - no processor currently supports these inputs.

Expect some processors later this year - but speaking to Meridian & Chord - they are still struggaling with the inherent jitter in these connections and may be 1-2 years before we see an upmarket processor with these inputs.

The panasonic & Sonny stand alone BluRay players do have inbuilt decoders and analogue 5.1 or even 7.1 analogue outputs to enable playability of these codecs.

3. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    He said "both of which offer uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio", not TrueHD or DTS-HD. You do not need a "decoder" for this... only a HDMI 1.1/1.2 compatible receiver for LPCM via HDMI.

4. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I think that's incorrect advice. My understanding is that you CAN get uncompressed audio in one of 3 ways:

1) The player does the decoding and outputs the signal as ANALOGUE PCM 5.1 (or possibly 7.1),

2) The player does the decoding and outputs the signal as DIGITAL PCM 5.1 (this being via HDMI version 1.1 or later),

OR

3) The player does not decode, but simply passes the raw digital bitstream to an external hardware decoder, via HDMI 1.3 interface.

So, HDMI 1.3 is not needed at all really, as long as your Arcam amp can accept digital PCM via it's existing HDMI input (which I am sure it can being a quality product). Certainly this is the case with standalone players, but I don't have any experience with the PS3.

EDIT - mremulator is quite correct - no decoder needed for audio which is already uncompressed PCM.

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

In the case of the OP, he's using a PS3 as source, which doesn't have 5.1 analogue outputs.

As for the Arcam, I had a scan in the brochure and it implied that the HDMI input was only for video switching and not connected for audio use. Let me know if I'm wrong.

6. Ajeighh

Ajeighh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much, everyone. :thumbsup:

The Arcam's causing me other problems, which I'll take over to the right forum, but I'm more inclined to go for something that can allow me to hear anything that HDMI can throw at it... for a couple of months anyway.