• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Uncompress using STR-DH800 or PS3?

GCaster

Hi.

I've recently bought a Slim PS3 to go with my setup (see sig) and have one question about the Blu-Ray audio.

Am I going to get better sound having the PS3 decode the audio and send it to the amp in PCM form or should I set the PS3 to bitsream the audio from the blu-ray and get the amp (Sony STR-DH800) to do all the decoding?

I'm guessing the amp will do a better job of the decoding than the PS3 and am kinda thinking this is a bit of a stupid question! (I'll also get the HD lights on my amp too which seems to make me happy! :thumbsup:)

Please let me know if I'm right.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The results will or should be exactly the same, although you could actually try it for yourself in order to determine which is the best for you …

… or are you deaf???? :D

a codec

is a codec

is a codec

regardless of which component it is used in ;)

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
From an audio viewpoint the sound (of the common subset) is identical - as Dante01 explains. From a functional viewpoint, you sacrifice functionality (e.g. audio mixing) by not decoding on the player. So the answer is that if the looking at a shiny light on the amp instead of watching the film is more important than full-function audio, then bitstream. Conversely if audio functionality is more important than a useless light, then decode in the source.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom