Uncharted Movie Review & Comments

The moustache is post credits scene.
I didn't think it was that bad. It had a feel of National Treasure contraptions to it (but not as good as Cage obviously) but the chemistry between Mark and Tom was very lame but visually it was fun.
For a game conversion it didn't have a curse as bad as Assassins' Creed. Worth of a sequel I reckon.

Well, after Moonfall, I made a speedy recovery, regained my confidence in physics [Gravity was all working again as well as ever] and set off to see this. I was sure, I couldn't be disappointed twice in a week. I have never played the games [and for sure, after this, I never will]. It is hard to understand how these films are put out in the state they are. Does anyone that matters at the top of Hollywood actually watch these films before they released, If they do, I struggle how they concluded "It's a wrap and good to go." I know one has to lower their expectations sometimes, but mine seriously cannot go any lower, and yet they're still not met. Hugely disappointed, barely a 3 for me. I have a limitless card and it was this or Sing 2 as the only films I haven't watched; I picked wrong!

Spoilers

Irrelevant. You said it’s a flop and it most definitely isn’t.
If it doesn’t break even then it’s a flop..!
No point discussing it any further as we both have different opinions and views.
You enjoyed the film so good for you..😊

If it doesn’t break even then it’s a flop..!
No point discussing it any further as we both have different opinions and views.
You enjoyed the film so good for you..😊
No it doesn’t. You’re fundamentally misunderstanding the term ‘flop’
Regardless you’re wrong on both fronts.
$120m production budget
Wild guess at $50m promo
It’s already virtually covered it
It’s not a case of opinion, that’s what seems to confuse you. Films aren’t deemed a ‘flop’ based on the merit of wether or not you like them.

Last edited:
No it doesn’t. You’re fundamentally misunderstanding the term ‘flop’
Regardless you’re wrong on both fronts.
$120m production budget
Wild guess at $50m promo
It’s already virtually covered it
It’s not a case of opinion, that’s what seems to confuse you. Films aren’t deemed a ‘flop’ based on the merit of wether or not you like them.
Regarding promotion. It's more or less the norm now for the marketing budget to closely resemble the production budget. I'd wager they doubled that $50m estimate, at least.

Regarding promotion. It's more or less the norm now for the marketing budget to closely resemble the production budget. I'd wager they doubled that $50m estimate, at least.
Based on that, $240m estimate. It’s done $150m already, It’ll likely clear $240m by its third week of release.
People want to start bandying around the term flop, look no further than Moonfall. $300m production & promo, for a $38m return.

Based on that, $240m estimate. It’s done $150m already, It’ll likely clear $240m by its third week of release.
People want to start bandying around the term flop, look no further than Moonfall. $300m production & promo, for a $38m return.

Don't forget cinema chains also take a big chunk of the box office gross, for their cut. I've heard its something like 30%, although not sure. A blockbuster really needs to triple it's production budget to comfortably break even.

FWIW I wouldn't call Uncharted a flop yet either, but it's got a ways to go yet.

Don't forget cinema chains also take a big chunk of the box office gross, for their cut. I've heard its something like 30%, although not sure. A blockbuster really needs to triple it's production budget to comfortably break even.

FWIW I wouldn't call Uncharted a flop yet either, but it's got a ways to go yet.
Problem is, you could go on forever. What about Tax rebates films get that aren’t factored out of the budget?
VOD rentals, is anyone factoring in those, Spider Man No Way Home is apparently breaking records on pre orders on that front, all that cash isn’t added to the grosses.

Caught this today. Solid entertainment. Had it of been a bit more bonkers, like the final act, could’ve been alot more fun.
Done almost £20m ($230m world wide) at U.K. box office so far. Be interesting to see how it fares in China.
Sequel in the works, Tom Holland being called the saviour of the box office (apparently he’s been in another hit film lately). I’d happily watch another.
Not bad for a flop.
6/10

Well it's safe to say we have a new franchise. I'm expecting at least 3 of the buggers.

Hollywood haven't run out of ideas, they've run out of the balls required to finance movies other than formulaic repeats of previous ideas.

Just watched this . Its alright. Tried to stay true to the game and did a good job. Not sure about the casting for drake and sully.

Watched this last night - 6/10 from me, which is about 6 points more than I expected...

Holland mostly saved this with his sheer enthusiasm imo, which was a huge surprise. He also has a very convincing american accent, which I think helped.

Marky Mark though, what on earth where they thinking? Every scene he was in was made instantly worse by association, and by the end of the movie he'd succeeded only in making Sully come across as a bit of a dick. Did no-one at Sony or Naughty Dog during filming say 'wait a minute, he's sodding awful'?

The little easter eggs were quite fun too I guess -
naughty dog sticker in the suitcase, Nolan North, etc

I thought I'd hate this as I thought the casting was all wrong but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
So many moments taken from the great games.

8/10.

CGI wasn't very good, the acting was awful, storyline wasn't great and had far too many plot holes, so many brands on show they may as well have bent over for all the whoring this film did.

1/10

Caught this tonight on Apple TV and...quite enjoyed it.

Lots of callbacks and nods to the games, it didn't take itself too seriously and was a lot of fun overall. The Apple TV version had to be turned up significantly louder than I'd normally, but otherwise the Atmos mix seemed pretty good, and of course it looks great.

Marky Mark's so miscast as Sully, but as soon as I accepted he's not the Sully rom the games, he was fine.

I'd definitely be up for more from this franchise. 7/10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom