Uncharted Movie Review & Comments

I think there some fundamental issues with the games -> films transition:

1. Games are already cinematic in their scope and presentation, independent of wooden cutscenes. You stand on top of a mountain in "Breath Of The Wild" and see the enormous vista stretching ahead of you, and it already feels epic.

2. In games, you are an active participant, not just a passive spectator.

3. Games do have a narrative flow, but offer you a freedom of decision-making that films never can. Yes, you go from A to Z, but with modern games you don't always have to follow the linear path and have a lot more choice.

4. Even with all the advancements in CG/motion capture/green screen/blue screen/wire work, no film can match the possibilities of game design. You can create an entire world from scratch with its own light, colour, energy, physics and movement.
I think a fifth point to add in here is the same that @Kotatsu Neko raised earlier in the thread which is that games sometimes (often?) lean heavily on pre-existing movie tropes to tell their stories but get away with it by adding a playable element to them.
Then, when those elements are translated back to screen, the comparison becomes much more obvious and you end up with what amounts to third-hand story telling.

I seen this on Friday as well and the message i sent to my friends was that I liked it and it was an enjoyable romp. I love the games but it's been long enough from the announcment that I didn't care about the Marky Markness of it anymore.

I'd like to see them have another crack at it as it was better than most videogame movies and they could definitely improve it further in a sequel.

Watched it on Friday.

Well that’s was a waste of 2hrs.

It felt like a poor man’s Indiana Jones.!
Very poor story even worse logic with some elements of the film..yes it’s based on the Uncharted but some plot points had me with my head in my hands.
Another game based film which will go down as a flop.
As for Tom Holland don’t think he will escape being Spider-Man and be successful in another franchise.

Uncharted had so much potential but what a wasted opportunity.
4/10 😞

Watched it on Friday.

Well that’s was a waste of 2hrs.

It felt like a poor man’s Indiana Jones.!
Very poor story even worse logic with some elements of the film..yes it’s based on the Uncharted but some plot points had me with my head in my hands.
Another game based film which will go down as a flop.
As for Tom Holland don’t think he will escape being Spider-Man and be successful in another franchise.

Uncharted had so much potential but what a wasted opportunity.
4/10 😞
I don’t think it’ll flop actually. Don’t confuse it flopping with the fact that it’s not very good. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

I don’t think it’ll flop actually. Don’t confuse it flopping with the fact that it’s not very good. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
For this film IMHO it will be a flop due to it not being very good.

Considering they brought the release date forward in the UK coincides squarely with the school half term holidays and that will likely equal more box office. I’m hoping to catch this probably tomorrow night only because I’m curious to see how this one translates after the questionable casting choices. I’m thinking it’ll be along the lines of the recent Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat in the sense that it’ll ‘look’ spot on but poor character/acting etc fails them overall.

Opened at No.1 in all 15 territories it debuted in this weekend. Including here.
No competition…we will see in the next week or two once box office figures are in.

No competition…we will see in the next week or two once box office figures are in.
It’ll do just fine, until The Batman comes along. Although they might not eat each other due to Bats higher rating.

It’ll do just fine, until The Batman comes along. Although they might not eat each other due to Bats higher rating.
We will agree to disagree…. The Batman is projected to be the biggest Batman opening ever.!

We will agree to disagree…. The Batman is projected to be the biggest Batman opening ever.!

Think what Barnaby is saying is it won't matter as it's a different rating (15) vs. Uncharted (12) so may not eat it as the latter will still attract the family/younger crowd.

BUT in other territories it may be a different story (e.g. in the US Batman is the same as Uncharted, PG-13, not R)

Just got back from watching this and really enjoyed it. Took me back to being a kid. Yes it was far fetched but very enjoyable movie and kept me interested the whole way through

Went to see it, bit disappointed, probably a 6 for me,

If I don't get blown away by the wind I'll make a trip to see this today I think.

Normally I'd wait for TV given the lukewarm reception, but seeing as it's based on one of my favourite games of all time....

Even with a free ticket I don't think I'll go see it. This is purely made to make money, they have no interest in the franchise other than to milk it. Directors who had the intent to make a film true to the nature of the games left because they saw the studio had other ideas. I'm not supporting an exploitive action movie that's made with no intent of actual good movie making. What happened to smart action blockbusters. From the reviews I'm hearing, this is lazy lazy filmmaking. Eff you Sony. Where is the passion!?

Last edited:
If I don't get blown away by the wind I'll make a trip to see this today I think.

Normally I'd wait for TV given the lukewarm reception, but seeing as it's based on one of my favourite games of all time....
Ditto. My expectations were pretty low, so my 6.5/10 rating came as a welcome bonus. I ended up rather enjoying it. If you think of it as a 'tribute' to the games (rather than a faithful adaptation) I think it should go down well.

My only disappointment, as mentioned, was the portrayal of Chloe.

Rich: best Uncharted game? I can't decide between 2 and 4.

Ditto. My expectations were pretty low, so my 6.5/10 rating came as a welcome bonus. I ended up rather enjoying it. If you think of it as a 'tribute' to the games (rather than a faithful adaptation) I think it should go down well.

My only disappointment, as mentioned, was the portrayal of Chloe.

Rich: best Uncharted game? I can't decide between 2 and 4.

No. 2 I'd say. 4 was great and looked stunning, but I think the adventure in 2 was seriously good stuff.

I even really liked 3 even though it came in for a lot of stick.

No. 2 I'd say. 4 was great and looked stunning, but I think the adventure in 2 was seriously good stuff.

I even really liked 3 even though it came in for a lot of stick.
I love 3 as well. It wasn't the quantum improvement over the previous game that 2 was, but maybe it didn't need to be. It was a superb adventure.

Damn all you treacherous heathens, I rather enjoyed that :laugh:

Yes Holland is no Drake and Wahlberg is no Sully, but somehow they made it work. All things considered I thought it was quite an enjoyable romp to be honest, with some decent set pieces. Far better than I was expecting. Wasn't without it's problems, but I can overlook them to an extent considering it's essentially video game hokum.

Set up the inevitable sequel as well.

So whereas I was thinking about a 5, I'm going to go with a 7/10.

Damn all you treacherous heathens, I rather enjoyed that :laugh:

Yes Holland is no Drake and Wahlberg is no Sully, but somehow they made it work. All things considered I thought it was quite an enjoyable romp to be honest, with some decent set pieces. Far better than I was expecting. Wasn't without it's problems, but I can overlook them to an extent considering it's essentially video game hokum.

Set up the inevitable sequel as well.

So whereas I was thinking about a 5, I'm going to go with a 7/10.
That’s pretty much exactly how I feel, except I can’t quite stretch to a 7. But hell, I’d go and see another one.

That’s pretty much exactly how I feel, except I can’t quite stretch to a 7. But hell, I’d go and see another one.

I didn't mind Chloe either, although I get what you were saying earlier too.

Definitely would watch another, agreed. Will look forward to watching this one at home again to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom