Uncharted 2- Story

J_C_X

Established Member
Reaction score
Why does everybody think the Uncharted 2 plot is brilliant? It's god ****ing awful. It's so cliched and unoriginal. I know video game plots are hardly Shakespeare but Uncharted's is particularly bad.

It has the cliched Slavic genocidal maniac.

Drake's character model has been done a thousand times before - John McLean, Indiana Jones, Spiderman/Peter Parker and even Lara Croft etc etc.

Drake seems to have a problem with killing gaurds at a museum but later on doesn't have a problem slaughtering countless Eastern Europeans.

The dialogue itself is cheesy and childish resorting often to erection jokes.

It's wildly inaccurate in Nepal section of the game all the temples are Buddhist while Nepal is mostly a Hindu country.

Apparently shooting the commander on the train in the head with a AK-47 has no effect but apparently it's no match for Drake's fists of steel.

The story compared to say Bioshock or Chrono Cross, in my opinion, a backward step in video game plots. That being said the game itself is good. I just hope they don't put this as a benchmark of video game story telling.

The acting and banter between characters, in my opinion, are the best i have seen bar none. The mo-cap is excellent and i loved every minute of U1 and 2. All dialogue i felt was though about and never out of place. I agree that shooting some people does not seem to affect them but this was THE only thing wrong with this perfect gem of a game. A true benchmark for games to full the boots of which will be difficult. I feel a lynch mob may be heading over this way soon sorry to say :facepalm:

I know as I said it's my opinion, but the only other person who seems to notice this is my brothers and Yahtzee!

I know it has it's faults but I thought Assassin's Creed 2 was better game. I'm going to have to say that though Uncharted 2 gameplay overall is better, I felt Assassin's Creed 2 story and characters were better.

I wanted to know what happed next in AC2, the setting was better and the characters though some what stereotyped were more believable than UC2. Maybe it's because that some of AC2 cast actually existed. :D

I know as I said it's my opinion, but the only other person who seems to notice this is my brothers and Yahtzee!

I know it has it's faults but I thought Assassin's Creed 2 was better game. I'm going to have to say that though Uncharted 2 gameplay overall is better, I felt Assassin's Creed 2 story and characters were better.

I wanted to know what happed next in AC2, the setting was better and the characters though some what stereotyped were more believable than UC2. Maybe it's because that some of AC2 cast actually existed. :D

Ah well i found the ending of AC 2 ridiculous, where did she come from and how the hell did she know who he was. Whats this prophecy business all about lol. I couldnt stop thinking Desmond was being overshadowed by Drake though, i think they shoulda used someone else instead of Nolan North for him.

Ah well i found the ending of AC 2 ridiculous, where did she come from and how the hell did she know who he was. Whats this prophecy business all about lol. I couldnt stop thinking Desmond was being overshadowed by Drake though, i think they shoulda used someone else instead of Nolan North for him.

All of the monotheistic and modern religions are false, it seems that the old Roman gods are based on a lost race of highly intelligent (possibly aliens) beings. I think she directly refrences Desmond as she knew he would see this through the animus. It's all based on pseudoscience theories.

Assassin's Creed had Danny Wallace in it. :thumbsup:

As I said, I don't think Uncharted 2 had much gameplay faults.

If I had one criticism of the gameplay, is that it had very little of it's own ideas however apart from that not much else.

Yeah, the mirrors puzzle was the best i have ever seen in a game before though. Brilliant. Cant knock AC2 though, ill admit it was amazing compared to the first. Uncharted 2 for me still though. By most peoples reckoning, they would say to have a crap story play MW2, although i liked it lol

why does everybody think the uncharted 2 plot is brilliant? It's god ****ing awful. It's so cliched and unoriginal. I know video game plots are hardly shakespeare but uncharted's is particularly bad.

It has the cliched slavic genocidal maniac.

Drake's character model has been done a thousand times before - john mclean, indiana jones, spiderman/peter parker and even lara croft etc etc.

Drake seems to have a problem with killing gaurds at a museum but later on doesn't have a problem slaughtering countless eastern europeans.

The dialogue itse........ Snip

wash your mouth out with soap!!!

He wouldnt taste very nice :rotfl: I must say that Sully is the best sidekick/companion in gaming history. Although Cpt Price is mint if he counts......

Why does everybody think the Uncharted 2 plot is brilliant? It's god ****ing awful. It's so cliched and unoriginal. I know video game plots are hardly Shakespeare but Uncharted's is particularly bad.

I liked it - exciting storyline, changes of scenery, over the top action sequences, magic stuff, big bad bosses, etc.

It's a bit like a Bond film - the plot doesn't make much sense, the acting won't win any awards, you could probably work out the plot, etc. but it's fun so it's popular.

It has the cliched Slavic genocidal maniac.

Drake's character model has been done a thousand times before - John McLean, Indiana Jones, Spiderman/Peter Parker and even Lara Croft etc etc.

If it ain't broke why fix it?

I thought they were funny, I like those sorts of jokes :clap:

It's wildly inaccurate in Nepal section of the game all the temples are Buddhist while Nepal is mostly a Hindu country.

Apparently shooting the commander on the train in the head with a AK-47 has no effect but apparently it's no match for Drake's fists of steel.

It's not supposed to be realistic - thank goodness!

That's why we love Drake! He's this generations John Mclane, Indiana Jones or Han Solo - Quick witted, Badass and a hit with the ladies :cool: In the context of the story he's a brilliant character. To even compare him to the likes of those characters shows how strong and well rounded Drake really is.

Film is over 100 years old and were still making penis jokes in that medium. I'm glad to see video games at least trying to inject humor.

I wouldn't class it as 'wildly' inaccurate, yes Hindu is the dominant religion but it is closely followed by Buddhism, and is present within Nepal (especially in the North, Where I assume Drake goes later in the game) Buddhism and it's architecture also fitted into the confines of the story well. Rome has Mosques but Dan Brown didn't feel the need to visit them in Angels & Demons.

Drake seems to have a problem with killing gaurds at a museum but later on doesn't have a problem slaughtering countless Eastern Europeans.

Let's not forget this is a game, in a film if someone takes countless rounds to the head it's unbelievable - But to have every enemy die with a single bullet in the game would be detrimental to the overall experience, when your bullets seem to have no effect on that enemy you think 'Oh ****!' - you know this enemy isn't like all the rest.

I just hope they don't put this as a benchmark of video game story telling.

It already is.

Not good acting?:eek: This is the best acting in a game i have ever seen in a game before. They even recorded some of the dialogue during motion capture so they could get it even more accurate. I love the banter throughout and the story made sense to me, mind you do tend to like taboo stories e.g. MW2.

Yeah, exactly what Tonks01 said.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was cheesy too but I still enjoyed it. :D

The only thing that bothers me (and it's in a lot of games not just UC2) - why are Russians always the bad guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius

He wouldnt taste very nice :rotfl:

Sorry my childishness coming out here but :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

All I can say is bring on U3:thumbsup:
If I wanted realism I wouldn't be playing a computer game

I like how the OP complains about lack of reality in the story yet loves Bioshock.

Unless I've missed something there are no underwater worlds out there that have people injecting special powers into themselves...

I like how the OP complains about lack of reality in the story yet loves Bioshock.

Unless I've missed something there are no underwater worlds out there that have people injecting special powers into themselves...

Bioshock, is a fantasy game first and foremost. I loved everything about Bioshock, the setting, the gameplay and most importantly the story. The acting in Bioshock is top notch, it's an example this is what games could be an art form.

I'd be the first to admit that Bioshock is not perfect but it's far closer than Uncharted will ever be.

I really love Bioshock and its story but I didnt like how they resorted to the tapes left about to tell the back story. Plus the acting was voiceover only, with UC2 the cutscene dialogue was recorded on the motion capture stage so the audio and visuals just fit together better than any other game around. Id much rather a game used relatively unknown actors and used this process rather than getting some overpaid hollywood star to record voice overs afterwards as they cant afford to pay them the time it takes to do the mo-cap too.

I know it has it's faults but I thought Assassin's Creed 2 was better game.

It's all about opinions but I just want to say very loudly I couldn't disagree with you more. At the end of the day it's all about fun, and AC2 is just not that fun to play. UC2 is everything a game should be. AC2 just made me want to :boring: (I'm still going for the Plat though! Sucker for punishment).

The only thing that bothers me (and it's in a lot of games not just UC2) - why are Russians always the bad guys?

I thought us Brits were always cast as the baddies ?

Maybe a bit late to chime in with my comment but in all cases, if you want a game with a good storyline play an RPG. End of.

Maybe a bit late to chime in with my comment but in all cases, if you want a game with a good storyline play an RPG. End of.

Ah, but which RPG has the best storyline? :rolleyes::D

(only RPGs I've played are Final Fantasy and they are a bit bonkers)

Bioshock, is a fantasy game first and foremost. I loved everything about Bioshock, the setting, the gameplay and most importantly the story. The acting in Bioshock is top notch, it's an example this is what games could be an art form.

I'd be the first to admit that Bioshock is not perfect but it's far closer than Uncharted will ever be.
I think the acting and story in UC2 is perfect for what it is - an over-the-top, switch your brain off, Indiana Jones style action romp. :smashin:

If you try to take it too seriously, then it will fall short. If you take it for what it is, it's the best video game example at the moment.

That's not to say Bioshock is poor - that sets out to do something different.

Modern stories in games is pretty awful compared to story reliant games like old Broken sword and other point and click adventure games. I have high hopes for Heavy Rain though

Unchartered 1 and 2 are amazing games, cinematically very impressive, but story wise I prefer those old Adventure games

How on earth is Drake like Spiderman? Just because he climbs stuff?

I agree that generally the writing in games isn't the best, but Uncharted is like an Indiana Jones film - just good fun.

People could criticise the writing and acting in Star Wars but they're missing the point imho.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom