1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unbreakable Region 1, wow, what a treat!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Jun 16, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Really enjoyed this at the cinema, it is such a clever film, but I do see why so many people hated it, not sure about a purchase as i dont think it has huge replay

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Just watched it.

It is indeed a very clever film. The lack of action would put people off but I liked it.

You really must have an interest in comic books I think to get the most out of it.

Good transfer, sound and extras though.

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recieved and watched Unbreakable R1 SE on thursday. I can tell fans of this movie that you are in for a real treat.
    The Boxed set itself is a double disk affair with of course the extras on the second disc. The extras in themselves are great to watch. They include scenes cut out (for reasons which M.Night explains) from the theatrical release. The Box has a rectangular cut out in front (like a window) whereby the broken glass imagery shows through. This is the main sleeve from where you pull out the book like package. A small print illustration is also enclosed. The whole thing is superb.
    The transfer itself is on the whole reference quality with terrific inky blacks. There are many dark scenes so Lcd's beware! CRT owners, its xmas again!
    There is a small amount of edge enhancement (as is the case with most THX certified software) but I've seen a lot worse.
    Its been put foward that sound quality is better in DD than DTS on this disc (it has both). I have only sat through the DTS track so am not yet sure on this.
    I rate this movie as one of my all time faves, and I paricularly like the way Samual L Jackson was stylized. His actions, hair, clothes all added up to a surreal looking comic character. M. Night is a Genius.
    Anyway, when you get yours, enjoy!!!

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Here is Widescreen Review's take on DD 'vs' DTS on Unbreakable.

Not had a chance to view it yet, maybe tonight between Le Mans updates on CH4 & 4Car's website.

5. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clever? How do you make this out? I thought it was massive let down, daftest (and disappointing) idea for a 'twist' I can remember for a long time. I understood M Night Shayler came up with the story when he was 14 or something. It shows.

Ok, of course it's only my personal opinion, I clearly didn't like the film but I am curious as to why you though it was clever.

Those who haven't seen the film probably shouldn't read any replies to this.

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I never thought for one minute that the film HAD a twist !

It was almost obvious what the film was about but it does ( I suppose ) only work for those fans of comic books ( and there stories / characters )

Unbreakable was vety much like trying to make a film of an unknown comic book character. Its much like the first 10 issues as such. The good thing was how it showed how the "hero" understood what he was and how he would come to terms with his ablilities.

It would however have been much better as an expensive mini-series as it would have given even more time to the story and character development. Secret ids and the like

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popester,
    Each to his own I suppose. For example I think the Star Wars trilogy is a load of hyped up rubbish, but then again most people will flame me for saying it.

I do think however, that M. Night is a true master of his art.
    I watched this movie again tonight with friends and as I already know the story (which I think is great) I concentrated on other aspects of it. I had a good look at the camera work and frankly, I dont think I've seen such inovative stuff since Hitchcock. There is so much fantastic stuff going on with the camera I could write a book about it.
    Take a good look and see for yourself.
    Eric

8. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ***** STORY SPOILER AHEAD - DO NOT READ IF FILM UNSEEN ********

Naturally it's only my personal opinion and that's why I'm careful not to say you are 'wrong' but just to discuss why I didn't like it. But this story could have been so much more I felt. A guy comes out of an accident and can't die, has special ESP powers, and a mysterious person helps him to understand that he is indeed something special.......great lead up to something, but what do we get? Oh well actually you're a superhero and I'm your flippin' nemesis (definition explained in great depth for the thick Yanks no doubt). PURRRLEEEEZZZEE!

I got to that point and thought, what a waste of the hour and half or whatever to this point. A big let down. I'm your flippin' nemesis and your a superhero now my life has meaning, aaarrrggghhhh!!!

Guess you would have to have some deep understanding of comic books to get it. For me this is either a) a kids film, or b) a the 'feature length' pilot for a tv series. :(

[ 18-06-2001: Message edited by: Popester ]

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to say i enjoyed it as a movie. Im not into comics, though i do buy the sun occasionally...maybe thats why i liked it.

Ahhhh...Tin Cup was better ;)

Mike

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    It would ( as I said ) have been better as a mini-series and could easily have gone on to be the next Buffy, I guess for some it lacked closure and took too long going somewere that they did not want it to go. If Bruce was flying around shooting laser beams from his eyes and punching holes through solid steel then I think 1000s more people would have enjoyed the film, but then that was not the point.

Great film to those who it reached

11. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't read comics at all but realy enjoy this sort of film . i loved spawn and x-men

i think this film shows what it would be like for a super hero in real life . no bat cave , no skin tight plastic , just a bloke who finds out that he is diferent and trys to make the best of a bad situation. a super man of the real world . the bad guy was quite good as well . just another person with problems .it makes a change from the usual rich bad guy who wants to get richer or take over the world

12. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Watched this film tonight and enjoyed it. The soundtrack was very well done with some nice low bass to shake the room up a bit :)

Uncle eric, you were right, the video quality looked great to me and I'm happy to report my 10HT displayed lots of detail in the many dark scenes, so it's xmas for me too ;)

13. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Got round to watching it,

Great Film (great twist), this is how X-Men should've been. Hope they don't do a sequel, it doesn't need it.

I hate all that comic book hero baloney

go figure

[ 22-06-2001: Message edited by: Confucius ]

14. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I took the plunge and purchased the DVD.

I liked the film at cinema but after just finishing watching the DVD for the 1st time I have to say its one of THE greatest films I have ever had the pleasure to see.

Great story and fantastic acting. Its fantastic.

Such a great " comic book " movie, all serious comic fans will love the film, the dark undertones from great books such as DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, ARKHAM ASYLUM and even WATCHMAN are here.

Its also one of the few DVDs with extras I want to see

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,
    Ahh Watchman, its great that you reminded me of this. This was a great series. One of my all time faves.

Black 5,
    You got good black levels with your Sony Lcd, that does it, i'm throwing this car sized object stuck on my ceiling into the nearest skip :eek:
    Only kidding, Barco fans might shoot me. I think I'll keep it a while longer.

Eric

16. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Watchmen was ( is ) pure class, I re-read this once a year

There are some real classic hero books out there, KINGDOM COME is a great look at the future of known hereos.

17. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Literally just watched it.
    Great stuff.
    Popester has me pegged, I'm thick as 2 planks. The twist caught me out at the end.
    Shows how long it's been since I've read a comic. :)
    I'd say watch it and enjoy, it held my attention quite well.

18. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched it last night and thought it was very good. The ending got me, 'cos from the start I was expecting the end to show that the whole story was actually a comic. Doh! What was up with Sam Jackson's hair?

19. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Have a look on the extras disc for info on that hairdo! very 70's.

Wasn't the long leather jacket worn by SLJ also in Shaft? If not it should've been....

[ 24-06-2001: Message edited by: Confucius ]

20. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought "unbreakable" was a very different film. I enjoyed the unusual cinematography, particularly the very european style of placing objects in front of the protagonist.

Great sound track, one of the best scored movies I've seen for a long time. A excellent example of music punctuating, enhancing and complimenting the narrative. Not telegraphing or mitigating it.

Excellent extras disc. What DVD's are all about.

Oh, is it me (and I'm not squeamish) but was Sam Jackson's fall down the stairs, one of the most subtle yet singularly most cringe-making accident sequences ever filmed? It made a few people flinch round my house.

21. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, looks like I'm the odd one out here!!!

Just goes to show what personal opinion film lieks and dislikes are.

22. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taskmaster,
    Sam Jacksons haircut must been done by Don Kings barber :eek:

Eric