1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unbranded Plasma monitor with rs232c connector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by snyphr, Dec 8, 2002.

1. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a newbie to all things plasma I've got a quick question about connectivity.

I can purchase an unbranded 42" Plasma Monitor from my work place for a really cheap price as they're replacing it:D . The problem is that it only has an RS232C connector (PC input) and some type of DVI connector. But no S-video or component.

I'm not sure if i can get/use some type of slave board to offer extra connectivity (The bozo who bought it last year left and so did the info/manuals/etc. with him - typical:eek: )so I'm planning to use my AV amp as the input source and hook up my other av device though it.

I know that QED make a lead that converts RS232C to RGB scart, but thats no good for me in this insatnce as it reduces the level of connectivity for me. Can I get a lead that will convert the connection (Rs232C) to S-Video / composite video? If so where and whats the typical asking price

TIA

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    snyphr

Not sure where you got the info on the RS232 connector and being able to convert it to SCART - I think you may be getting confused with the similar looking VGA (RGB) 15 pin input socket normally used for a PC input on the plasma display.

The RS232 port (if that is what it is labelled up as) is a command port used by installers to control the display remotely with a hard wired controller - typically used when you have displays used throughout a large building and want to be able to control its on/off functions from a central master controller.

As you have found out many on the forum you RGB converters to enable the RGB out from a Digibox to be connected into the VGA port but you wont get any joy sending a converted (or otherwise) video signal to the RS232 port.

Surely your accounts department have a note of where the display was purchased from and you can then back track as to its make and model number.

Id be wary of buying an unbranded display - a big saving now would disappear up in smoke if it goes wrong and you cant get it serviced; plus many of the lower cost 'installation' displays look horrible when used as video monitors.

Best regards

Joe

3. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

Thanks for the reply. I think I kinda got the VGA connector muddled up with the RS232C thing:blush: What it actually is is a DVI connector with an adaptor for VGA.

As you've mentioned (and mentioned elsewhere in this forum), it is possible to get a lead that connects rgb to VGA albeit the desired effect is not gr8. But can I get a DVI to S-Vhs or Compostie connector from anywhere?

With regards to the make and model. The plasma is mounted on a wall so I can really get behind it to check it. I'll ask the girls in accounts to see if they can back track, but as you can imagine going through paperwork at this time of year aint gonna be easy. I guess I'd better try the charm offensive:D

TIA