Promoted Unblock US Netflix, HBO MAX & Amazon Prime in UK for just £ 0.87/Month

so a dedicated vpn ip address will work better for netflix and others while under a VPN ?

I was tempted to try this but noticed other geo websites blocking even dedicated vpn ips, so figured they just figured it out the dedicated ips was a vpn still.

which dedicated vpn would you recommend or one that works?
PM'd

Not a lot of help if you want to watch content on your smart TV. Or am I missing something obvious?

I own a Linksys WRT3200ACM router flashed with ExpressVPN firmware which enables all devices in our household to elect a VPN connection, or not.

The problem with VPN providers is that they're not all created equal and this is generally reflected in the cost of subscription.

I've been a subscriber to ExpressVPN for at least six years and due to overall reliability during that period decided to purchase the Linksys router about a year ago.

Personally I don't use VPN for Netflix too often but have just tested a film on Netflix only available for streaming in the US (Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story) with a Washington DC ExpressVPN server and worked fine, first time. I generally test Netflix every six months or so with random servers dotted about the globe and 99.9% of the time Netflix will work with that particular country's Netflix catalogue. I do this because I prefer to know that ExpressVPN are still on top of their game.

It's also worth noting, for those that are unaware, that there's no way for Netflix, BBC or any other broadcaster to detect a VPN, as such, as they only see IP addresses. What Netflix and BBC can do is group these IP address(es) and detect overuse of any particular address(es) which, on the balance of probabilities, indicates multiple users utilising a VPN server to access content. They'll then block the IP address(es).

What sets the VPN providers apart is their ability to promptly launch new IP address(es) once the previous address(es) are blocked so maintaining reliability of service and this is where the top VPN providers come out on top and that obviously comes at a price.

So, you can take your chance on a cheap subscription with little-known providers and the chances are all will be well for a short period of time but, ultimately, most won't be able to provide a continuous and reliable service for too long.

You really do get what you pay for in the world of VPN.

Last edited:
I use Cyberghost and they have dedicated servers for US Netflix, and it has worked every time on the rare occasion I have tried.

The only issue with it for me was that they do not have an LG webOS app and have to use it on my Nvidia Shield, which the Mrs does not do. I could change the settings as others have mentioned, but we watch UK Netflix 99.5% of the time.

I gave it it try on the firestick. Netflix US connection speeds of around 1Mbps. Requested a refund and I'll be going back to expressVpn

Last edited:
is it easy to set up a VPN on an Apple TV, or can this only be done via the router?

is it easy to set up a VPN on an Apple TV, or can this only be done via the router?

not done it via apple tv since dont own one but I would recommend for ease of use an Asus AC86U router its well-supported amongst the VPN community since it supports the right things I believe it should hit 250-300 Mbps max speeds also.

But it's easier to set up for VPN usage(most vpn providers have a guide or can help), allows all devices to run under a VPN or you can select the ones you dont want to just use your real ISP connection say a tablet or your sky tv etc

Going through the router makes life so much easier!

I was a PureVPN subscriber for a few years. Cancelled just last week due to a flaky mobile app and just OK speeds. Switched to SurfShark and so far so good. Quick and easy connections and plenty fast.

We have been pondering a VPN for a while. we used to have it until Netflix booted it into touch.

I don't think that they work well with the TalkTalk super router. I asked TT and they said my speed would suffer so best to avoid.

My son wants VPN to protect from DDoS attacks (a fledgling pro-gamer). TT said if it happens to switch off the router for 30 mins as the IP addresses are dynamically generated.

We have been pondering a VPN for a while. we used to have it until Netflix booted it into touch.

I don't think that they work well with the TalkTalk super router. I asked TT and they said my speed would suffer so best to avoid.

My son wants VPN to protect from DDoS attacks (a fledgling pro-gamer). TT said if it happens to switch off the router for 30 mins as the IP addresses are dynamically generated.

Depends on your overall bb speed I would imagine, VPNs love faster speed connections like 100-150Mbps, even with the best VPN providers you could experience that performance dip they mention roughly 10% but sometimes it can be higher or lower. For example, I can hit 30MB/s but with VPN enabled maybe 26-27MB/s, which means nothing to myself since privacy is very important.

Still since your son is a gamer VPNs can introduce more latency and error to the line reducing online gaming performance he's better off sticking to normal internet from talk talk imo, it gets much more technical for the workarounds if you still want to go VPNs since you need split tunnelling (allows which devices use vpn or not) usually easier to do it from a VPN router or within the VPN software if it allows it or you only use the VPN client software from the VPN provider on which ever PCs or devices you want, many providers allow up to 5 devices usually.

Lots of things to consider, VPNs are not easy at first but depends on how badly you want privacy and even then privacy is a minefield subject at best !

There's obviously two distinct requirements to your post, being 1) a VPN that regularly and reliably bypasses the geo-blocking efforts of Netflix etc, and 2) a plain old VPN server to negate DDoS attacks.

If you want the complete all-inclusive VPN package that will meet your stated requirements then it's a top-shelf purchase as there's very few VPN providers willing, or able, to keep up with the likes of Netflix's geo-blocking endeavours. If you can forego the need for reliable foreign Netflix viewing and accept the VPN in its purest form, then purchase a cheap VPN subscription, but connection speeds might not live up to expectations either.

Indeed, a VPN will slow your connection but the only way to temper this is to increase the speed of your domestic broadband connection and/or utilise alternative global servers and tweak settings. Again, it comes down to your initial financial outlay.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom