Unbiased review between Q90R, LG SN11RG and the Sonos Combo

Tegs200

Looks like the format being supported is based on the "System on a chip platform" they use. Sonos is NOT a chip company so the chip is being outsourced for sure. My guess is if they use a common chip, they would have access to all formats but maybe they got a dolby specific chip as well.

Sources

Multi formats

Single format
That's interesting.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Looks like the format being supported is based on the "System on a chip platform" they use. Sonos is NOT a chip company so the chip is being outsourced for sure. My guess is if they use a common chip, they would have access to all formats but maybe they got a dolby specific chip as well.

Sources

Multi formats

Single format
That was a while ago though mate, I imagine they probably just provide dts capability on all chips by now as standard as they expect everyone to want it anyway.
cheaper to produce it with it rather than 2 production lines running just for a company like sonos because they insist on not using it.

kingina

Novice Member
would like to test this out as well with my Sonos Arc + one SL setup. how did you play the Atmos demo/test files to your Sonos Arc. And can you please let me know where to get these files.

Tegs200

would like to test this out as well with my Sonos Arc + one SL setup. how did you play the Atmos demo/test files to your Sonos Arc. And can you please let me know where to get these files.
Snap....

macattackqc

Standard Member
Used my pc

kingina

Novice Member
if I play these files via VLC, in the Sonos App, I see the received audio is "Dolby Multichannel PCM 7.1".
But the app doesnt say the "Dolby Atmos" on the TV view.. Does this mean I am not really getting the Atmos sound?

Also I tried using the Dolby Access App in windows 10 , and not sure if its just me, but I think I "feel" a difference when I listen to the Leaf demo in both The Dolby access app, versus just the file download from Dolby Trailers – ATMOS, Lossless TrueHD 7.1, AC3 5.1. Also I get the "Dolby Atmos" in the Sonos app if im running the Dolby Access App

I feel that the downloaded file, the supposed to be overhead sounds feel like they're coming from behind (possibly the rears?) where the one from the Access app feel like they coming from at least front top (I kind feel slightly its coming from overhead but maybe im just forcing myself to imagine it :))

If I play the Access App, the S2 app says its playing Dolby Atmos source.
If i play the file via VLC, it just says Dolby Multichannel PCM 7.1

Last edited:

kingina

Novice Member
if I play these files via VLC, in the Sonos App, I see the received audio is "Dolby Multichannel PCM 7.1".
But the app doesnt say the "Dolby Atmos" on the TV view.. Does this mean I am not really getting the Atmos sound?

Also I tried using the Dolby Access App in windows 10 , and not sure if its just me, but I think I "feel" a difference when I listen to the Leaf demo in both The Dolby access app, versus just the file download from Dolby Trailers – ATMOS, Lossless TrueHD 7.1, AC3 5.1. Also I get the "Dolby Atmos" in the Sonos app if im running the Dolby Access App

I feel that the downloaded file, the supposed to be overhead sounds feel like they're coming from behind (possibly the rears?) where the one from the Access app feel like they coming from at least front top (I kind feel slightly its coming from overhead but maybe im just forcing myself to imagine it :))

If I play the Access App, the S2 app says its playing Dolby Atmos source.
If i play the file via VLC, it just says Dolby Multichannel PCM 7.1
Actually instead of VLC, I just tried playing the file using the Win10 Movies & TV app, and now im getting at least DD+ or even Dolby TrueHD depending on the file, and the "Dolby Atmos" also shows in the app :)

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom