1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unbelievable shop attitude!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by zAndy1, Nov 4, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,951
    If you read the PD30 popping thread or my 'Which 32" ' thread you'll no doubt be aware that I've had 2 PD30 sets in the last few days both of which have been faulty. I rang the shop this morning to tell them that the 2nd set was faulty and the manager of said shop decided that the best course of action would be to 'give me a refund as he doesn't think he'll be able to supply me a tv I'll be happy with'! what the fudge!!!!! ALL I WANT IS A TV THAT WORKS!!!!!! Anyway they collected the 2nd set just earlier and I now have no TV to watch the footy on tonight, am I annoyed, you bet I am! Basically the chap in the shop didn't want me as a customer, obviously I'm supposed to accept faulty substandard products despite the fact I've paid £1200 for them..... needless to say I won't be setting foot in that shop again!
    Rant over...

Andy.

2. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what feels like mate to have 2 faulty tvs in a row. When i returned my second JVC the store said the same thing to me!

3. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once a shop has taken your money, they have entered into a contract with you. That contract is to supply you with a product that is fit for purpose. If a TV is faulty (whether by design or by accident), the shop is obliged to replace it for you (how ever many times it takes) or to provide you with a model equal or better than the one at fault. If a resonable time has elapsed since purchace, they can fix it instead although with a design fault, this would be difficult.

A shop cannot suddenly say that they will give you your money back. At least if they did say that, you could refuse.

I'm sorry that this doesn't help you at the moment, but the shop have oversteped the consumer laws and it may be worth you taking it up with trading standards. I assume you are not out of pocket with this situation but if you are, even more reason to follow it up.

IMHO

4. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only two sets? Seems premature, I'm guessing the shop's had a load of PD30s returned, I get the impression that the faults with this set are the type where some people are oblivious to them and the rest of us can't help but notice them, - the manager's concluded that you're the latter and is off in search of the former.
    Just be glad you've got the refund so painlessly, it took me weeks of phone calls and stropping in the shop to get rid of my third pd30 and get the cash back.

5. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi m8,

Had exactly the same thing as you. Had three PD30s all were crap on RBG and I even heard the popping on one. Anyway the shop refused to supply me with any more and gave me a refund. Even thought the shop sent out an independent engineer to collect the TV and do a fault report on it and reported back that the TVs were faulty the shop decided if Panasonic were happy to supply the TV's then they were regardless of my findings and any others reports. This is the kind of service RS give out nowadays. Now have a 32PW9528 with better picture all round, in my opinion.

Bazza

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    If you have your refund, I'd be happy. At least you are in no worse a position than before it started.

Better this than being stuck with defective goods and a retailer who isn't prepared to address the issue at all.

Go buy a different TV from somewhere else.

7. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your right there m*:smoke:

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,951
    Exactly what I'm doing. And I am in a worse position cos I don't have a telly, missed the bloody football last night cos of that! Going to get a Sony KV32FQ70 , got one local for £900 with a 5yr warranty, we'll see how this one is...

Cheers
    Andy.

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's just business Andy, don't take it personal, this shop obviously targets the ( possibly 90% or more ) section of the population who are quite happy so long as they can watch Eastenders, even if they have spent £2000.
    They have obviously decided you are more trouble than you are worth, that they should quit while they are ahead. Good thing is at least you haven't lost any money and you know not to trouble them again.
    It's happened to me, particularly with cars / garages, so I know how you feel.

10. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.

We had 2 Tosh from ED we weren't happy with and decided no point in getting a third one as they're obviously all from the same batch. We did have good service from ED.

Whats the point in torturing yourself waiting for another replacement, especially with all the unhappy owners on here and thinking will it be the same and then to go through having the disappointment/anger and arranging pick up times and drop off times.

We just decided on a different TV and bought from a differnet supplier based on a few quid cheaper, delivery within 48 hours and a friends recommendation.

Just my 2p worth.

Hoe you are happy with your next purchase...good luck:)

Cheers,
    mark.

11. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    ...stuff 'em ! Their loss and obvioulsy have no interest in the quality of the product they provide.

It's for this very reason I'll be (ab)using my Barclaycard to finance my TV purchase and get it from the most expensive/stuffy shop I can find in the hope of getting a good service from 'enthusiasts'....the get back the difference plus another yrs warranty for nowt :)

A

12. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    From another angle, I worked for a company that sells back to traders and public alike, catalogue returns.
    90% of the stock was in perfect order. We had this one customer who would buy a watch one day and bring it back another. Without it being faulty.
    Then he would buy a hi-fi, bring it back because it sounded cheap, when he only bought a system for a £100. Then he exchanged it for a vcr player etc.

I don't condone crap service or selling crap goods, but from a retailer POV, when an item is sold in good faith that the buyer actually wants it and you then return it twice, something should tell you, that the item isn't really for you.

I know where Mr shopkeeper is coming from.
    He won't give a monkeys either, there's plenty of mugs out there he can sell to.

I recently bought a Polaroid digi camera for£100. It took poor quality pictures.
    I exchanged for the same model.
    It had different faults.
    I took it back, spent another £100 on another Polaroid and it's perfect.
    £1200 is alot for a TV.
    But the way TVs are going now LCD, Plasma, Pixel plus etc, it's not anymore.
    Read the forums for advice, shop around. Look at the same model in different stores. Compare pictures.
    Happy shopping.

ps. Don't be fooled by fancy showrooms, I went into Southern oaks, or Sevenoaks? instead of Richer sounds for a scart lead.
    When I asked for a Profigold lead, the man scoffed and said they never sold such poor quality leads, when explained I bought one there earlier in the year, he went bright red and ran off in a huff.
    The manager then served me and gave me a discount.

Rich tee.

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That takes the biscuit, rich tee.