Unauthorised work by BT.....advice please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tnoy66, Mar 19, 2006.

1. tnoy66

tnoy66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi folks, hoping someone can help with some advice please :)

I had a phone call last night saying the BT phone line to my mums bungalow appeared to have been moved and is now very low down. So I went this afternoon to have a look and sure enough, it has been moved recently.

It used to go from the pole to the chimney of my mums bungalow and then down the roof and into the house.
    It now goes from the pole to a bracket fixed below the guttering and a new junction box has appeared there too.

The wire as a result is now very low and almost touches the neighbours roof. With it being so low it is, in my opinion, dangerous as it could easily be caught on tall objects being carried past the side of the bungalow.

My mum has no idea when this took place as she has had no information about this work. It seems they have turned up, removed the cable from the chimney, attatched 2 fixings to the side of the house, all without any notification of the work or being asked to do it.

Will BT come and move this cable back to a safe height without charging my mum :confused:
    Anybody know why they'd come and do this in the first place :confused:

2. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've no idea, but it sounds wrong to me. A winge at BT is most certainly in order though.

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    It's not supposed to be attached to the chimney, and if it were replaced it would always be reattached where you described. If it was an old dropwire and a fault was reported it would have been replaced (it's BT's system, they can replace what they like without permission from the householder) but it seems strange that work has been done without first contacting them!!

4. tnoy66

tnoy66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the replies, will find out tomorrow what BT say :rolleyes:

I should have also said, my mum isn't a BT customer.

5. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    We had BT engineer walk around our quiet close with a 5 metre long stick measuring cable heights. Anything below this height is deemed a risk. They found we had low cables and planned to put in a further couple of poles which would re-route the cabling to safer distance from the ground.

I wouldn't mind betting the BT engineer did the work and also reported the problem to BT planning (or Openreach as they are now called!).

Some guy with a clipboard will then walk round, another one will follow with the pole. He in turn will inform the contractor (McNicholas or somesuch), they'll send a manager to assess the work before he passes it onto a work gang.........they'll turn up and go against everyones plans and try to plonk a dirty great big pole in your front garden because that's the easiest way. Well that's my experience anyway......although I didn't let them put the pole in. :devil:

Make sure if BT want to do anything like this they get a wayleave consent done, otherwise tell 'em to sod off!

6. tnoy66

tnoy66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Mum called BT, who said that if it needed moving it would be chargeable :rolleyes:

They said NTL may have moved it and it may be one of their cables, as some of there cables run from poles apparently, though I know for definate it isn't :rolleyes: Her NTL cable is definately underground, I saw it being installed many years ago.

She was advised to ring NTL and they are sending an engineer out in April to take a look. I'm just hoping that he will say it is too low and be able to pass it back to BT for sorting out.
    I would have thought there would be a legal minimum height for their cables.
    I'll see if I can find something, somewhere :confused:

7. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
    The telephone cables where I work were moved to a higher position. The cables went across the car park access drive.
    BT said they had to move them up to the specified height so that a double decker bus could get through - to our car park! :rolleyes: