Unannounced C4 censorship

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by XL5, Jan 13, 2008.

1. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any knowledge on C4 censorship of programmes? Over recent months, I have noticed lines of dialogue missing from Friends, Simpsons and at least one film.
    A reference to Joey having a 3 in a bed romp was cut out of one episode of Friends. Other lines have been cut, resulting in audience laughter for no reason, the punchline having gone missing.

C4 rather gave the game away recently, after showing a trailer for a Simpsons episode, just before it aired. The trailer had Homer mistakenly joining a queue for sex offenders to register. As he leaves, Moe arrives and says 'aw, there is always a queue'! 10 minutes later, during the programme, it just has Homer arriving and leaving, no words are spoken. Nothing happens, no comedy. Someone on C4 messed up there, editing the prog but, not the trailer.

When the 1969 film Battle Of Britain was shown last year, the scene where a Polish pilot bails out over Kent was almost edited out of existence, for the first time that I have noticed over the many times I have seen it on TV.

In the original, the pilot lands in a hayfield, walks over to a couple of farmworkers and says, 'good afternoon' in broken English. Mistaking him for a German, the farmworker says, 'Good afternoon my arse! Put your hands up you bosch bastard!
    That has always been included on each showing, until last year on C4. All we were allowed to see then was, Pilot, 'good afternoon', Farmworker, 'put your hands up!'

So,
    1, How much more censorship is there now, than there used to be?
    2, Why don't they come clean and, say so beforehand, either by caption or announcement?
    3, Has anyone noticed other channels censoring progs for our 'benefit'?

In view of the other revelations recently, over competitions, phone ins, and scenes on many programmes being contrived or, 'managed reality' as the TV producers call it, shouldn't they be more open about it?
    More to the point, should C4 be making our decisions for us? We should decide what we want to watch and, make our own judgements on the content. Those who have not seen the programmes before are denied the chance to do this and, are thus being misled and treated dishonestly.

2. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding Friends it has always been 'edited' and like you say the sudden audience laughter is ridiclous. Actually I was looking at the box-set yesterday on Amazon.com and apparently the DVDs are edited too :nono:. When will they treat customers with respect :thumbsdow ?

PS Welcome to these great forums :).

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    XL5,

Firstly, welcome to the forums! :clap: Secondly, I'm a pretty good expert on TV censorship (and movie censorship too), so you've come to the right place to ask this question. :) In fact, I'm the AV Forums' resident Unofficial TV and Censorship Guru. ;)

I'll do my best to answer your various queries:

1 - Yes, I have a large knowledge of censorship on C4. In fact, it's becoming more and more common on C4 now, and Film4, E4 and More4 too!

2 - Many shows on C4, E4 and More4 are cut, either for genuine censorship; to reduce the running time to fit more ads and trailers in to the half-hour or hour-long slot, and/or because C4 don't know (or don't care) what version of a show or movie they are airing, and don't bother to check to make sure it's fully complete and intact in the first place! :rolleyes: :mad:

3 - With regards to The Simpsons ad and episode, being different, edits of adverts and trailers, and edits of shows aren't always done by the same people. What one censor may approve for a trail, may not be approved for the show, and vice-versa. Ditto, with who approves the transmission versions of the ads/trails and/or the show itself.

4 - C4 does appear to censor more now, than they used to do, but they are very erratic and it's not always easy to tell if something has or hasn't been cut.

5 - The reason they don't come clean, like any TV channel, is for two reasons: A) Most people wouldn't notice/couldn't care less if something was cut or censored, and/or B) The channel(s) in question don't care about the viewers, and don't want the audience to know that they aren't seeing uncut versions.

6 - Most channels censor stuff, for "our" benefit. But it does depend on what the show/movie is; who is showing it; when it's being aired, and why it's being aired.

7 - As for openness, any channel is allowed to censor or alter any show/movie it wants, for any reason it feels is justified. The only problem comes, is if a channel doesn't censor or edit something, that should have been censored or edited, to protect audiences (young or old) from seeing something that isn't appropriate, because of the time it's being aired; the actual content itself, or the nature of the content (e.g. showing stuff exploding and bombs, directly after a major terrorism event, for example)!

If you are concerned, or want to know more, contact me or pose the question about the specific movie or show, and I should be able to help you out, as to whether something's been cut or not.

For examples, see the thread I do each month here! :)

Pooch

4. soundstory

soundstory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The most annoying thing C4 do, is to edit shows to fit a time slot, Lost was a good example.

I don't watch it but surely Ugly Betty can't be Shown at Sunday lunch can it?

5. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,002
    This has been common TV practise for years. It stinks.:(

All the best
    Bri

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Try watching Smallville during the day, its unwatchable at times with the amount of cuts they make.

7. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,002
    Plus that T4 logo C4 often have on it.

Cheers
    Bri

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

On a similar note, did anyone notice that BBC2 aired teh M Night Shyamalan "thriller" "SIGNS" on Monday night between 9:00-10:30pm, and yet the film is 106m in cinemas, and about 100m on DVD?! So, someone had to edit out almost 10-minutes of material to get it to fit into the 90 time slot! :eek: :( :thumbsdow

Hope this isn't a sign (pardon the pun) of things to come for the BBC! :nono:

Pooch

9. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact, Signs didn't end until 1039, as I tuned in for Newsnight. Perhaps the uncut version was transmitted by mistake.:devil:

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi XL5,

Looks like the BBC didn't intend to cut the film, but screwed-up with the scheduling! ;) I thought it was odd that a 100 minute movie, was being aired in a 90-minute slot.

Pooch

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Channel 5 has been editing NCIS on the repeats. They are full the first time they are shown but the repeats have been edited now and then. I have noticed the running/scheduled time slightly different from week to week.

12. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    One thing I wish they would cut is the dreadful laugh track from repeats of MASH. When it was shown originally on BBC2 they never used it and the program was infinitely better for it. I remember one week they accidentally did broadcast the laugh track and they had heaps of complaints about it to Points of View.

13. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,531
    It's awful isn't it?

I didn't get into MASH until the latter half of the series, so I thought it'd be great to see them from the start when they appeared on one of the satellite channels. I couldn't even get through the firs episode with that dreadful canned laughter.

Thank god for the DVDs.