1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to watch videos??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by derek.austin, Jan 30, 2003.

1. derek.austin

derek.austin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have a strange problem when trying to watch a video

I have a Philips VCR (output composite), switched through a Denon 3802 to an AVT-3700 imageMAX Video Scaler then to a Panasonic TH42PW5B Plasma using the D-sub 15P Connector (PC VGA Input)

When watching ‘terrestrial TV’ through the Philips VCR’s tuner, the picture is ‘stunning’ (almost as good as the digital picture from the Sky + receiver) but if I play a video on the VCR, the picture shakes so bad that it is un-watchable – even if I pause the video.

If I connect a composite lead directly from the VCR (or the Denon) to the Plasma’s composite input and of course change the input selection, the picture is fine (though obviously nowhere near as good as the TV or Sky through the ImageMAX.

I don’t want to have another lead from the ‘kit’ to the plasma (if I can help it) as it’s all 10m away in another room

The DVD's , Sky pictures (albeit with a bit of lip sync problem) and terrestrial TV through the VCR is excellent, it's just when playing a videotape!

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Current System:-

Panasonic TH42PW5B Plasma
    Denon AVR3802 Amp
    Toshiba SD120E DVD
    Sky + Satellite receiver
    Bose System-10 surround satellite speakers
    Gale 60w Sub-Woofer
    Keen Electronics IR Remote extender system

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It might be worth checking that the scaler isn't picking up a macrovision signal from the VCR. Try playing back a home recorded tape to see if the same happens. If it works OK you will need to put a MacroVision blocker in to fix it!

If not then I haven't really got a clue!!!!

HTH

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How old is the ImageMax? Something similar was reported on thte AVSForums and HDtoolbox shipped updated software on EEPROM [ick!] to resolve it - could be that.

Neil.

4. derek.austin

derek.austin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi both,
    Many thanks for the advice, I was in fact playing a 'home recorded' video, so the problem must be with the AV Toolbox's ImageMAX box.

I'll drop their tech support a line and see if they have any ideas

5. Rusty

Rusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if you've figured this out yet but...

Pressing TINT then LANGUAGE in quick succession will put it into "VCR mode". I had the same problem and had to call for help. The solution is actually in the instruction anual, I just didn't see it!

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    It's due to poor Time Based Correction (TBC) with video images.

At worst you would have to buy an external unit to do this, but from Rusty's post it sounds like scaler has a full-frame Time Based Correction facility for addressing this problem with video tape. The TBC corrects these timing irregularities and allows an
    unstable video source such as a VCR to produce a stable image.

StooMonster