Unable to watch some recordings

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Russellgti, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Russellgti

Russellgti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Does anyone else suffer from the issue I seem to be having where some of the shows that I have recorded refuse to playback?

If so is there anyway to watch them other than to record them again?

As it most often seems to happen to Las Vegas on Sky One HD.

2. guisboro

guisboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started a thread yesterday regarding the same problem. Recorded X-Men: the last stand in HD. Appears in the planner ok but won't play.

I've since been looking in this and another forum and there appear to be other reports of this problem, but no apparent fix.

I wasn't recording anything else at the time but was watching a different channel. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the system when this has happened within a week of the box being installed.

Tonight i'm recording Heroes on BBC2 and Who do you think you are?, and I'm going to record them on my dvd recorder at the same time just in case they fail. I shouldn't have to do that though should I?

3. tommouk

tommouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Had the same problem. No fix as far as I know. Explains why Sky has so many repeats :rolleyes:

4. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    This has been a problem with sky+/hd boxes since the start.

If the box crashes near the end of the showing (power cut, loss of signal, bad software) the whole program gets corrupted.

It strangely never seems to happen if it crashes in the middle. I guess it has something to do with how it indexes the program on the guide.

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Are Sky actually treating this as a bug and trying to fix it? I've only had my SkyHD box a few days and have been unable to play two recordings already. One of them being the last episode of the 4400 which I was part way through watching.

I'm very disspointed that after a year there are still such big problems with the box. I really want to cancel SkyHD but I've got a 50" HD plasma arriving in a couple of weeks which will be crying out for HD.

6. montehampster

montehampster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had the same problem. Went on holiday and set it up to record the final episodes of House and Shark which followed each other on 5.

House worked, Shark didn't (showed 1% recorded - average for SD 6% so thought immediately something was wrong), so went on the net and downloaded the final episode not only in HD but 5.1 sound as well!

7. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Its a known problem and im on my third Sky box and (fingers crossed) not had the issue since.
    Make sure you ring up and complain to sky and get them to log your call in to them just in case you need a refrence point to when you first had the issue and you could claim money back from sky from the date logged in on thier system as i did. ;)

8. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I asked about a reduction for this problem but was told that as I don't pay for the recording facility they won't reduce my payments. They say I only pay to view the channels, not record.

I'm not very impressed with this view point. Doesn't give them much of an incentive to fix it.

I thought this problem was software. If a change of box can fix this, I'll have to try it.

9. srhill

srhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    This isn't strictly true - I presume you paid for the HD box - therefore you are entitled to have a product that works as advertised - ie a box that records correctly.

Incidently I have had a couple of recordings whihch refused to playback irrespective of the start time I entered the box just stays on this screen and refuses to enter the actual recording - is this what happens to yours?

10. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is exactly what happened on the first unplayable recording. On the second one, nothing would happen when I tried to select it from the Planner list.

I've got another pair of back to back recordings set this afternoon. Stargate Atlantis with series link and Malcolm in the Middle with series link on SkyOne HD. I've turned off Anytime and Auto Shutdown, so I'll see what happens.

11. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    What a load on nonsense. Sounds like you got a right plonker on the phone!
    If he would of said that to me i would of ripped into him.

What if you buy a car which is advertised as "comes with free aircon" and then you drive off and the aircon doesnt work. You take that car back to the showroom and is the sales guy going to say "well it was free anyway" ?
    Is he heck!!

You should of kicked off big time with them over that and stick up for your consumer rights buddy, don't let them get away withy your miserable times with a product that doesnt do what it says on the box.

Try ringing back again and get them to log the issue and also explain you are not happy being told "well Sky+ is free and so what if it doesnt work".
    Stand your ground and demand that they log it!

If you find its still having the same issue 2/3 months down the line ring back uop and say the problem has been happening since it was logged with them on the system (that you previously demanded to be logged months ago) and that you want refunding 2/3 months of HD subs at the very least!

It worked for me so far but they also changed the OCTO LNB on the dish at the same time they changed the box so maybe get them to do that too.
    Its worth a shot. ;)

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

12. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Watts. All of my recordings yesterday worked. However, it's still early days. If this problem keeps recurring over the next week or so, then I'll be more demanding with them and insist on a new box and some refund on my subs. I'm pretty sure customer services made a note of my problem.

My installation was a new one from scratch as I had cable before. I've actually still got cable just in case.