Unable to view or scan Freesat via new device and Sky satellite dish.

TrebzUK01

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I recently bought the below device in order to watch Freeview and Freesat channels but it will not scan the satellite channels when I connect my satellite dish. The satellite dish has two cables as it was installed when I got the Sky Q package which I have now cancelled. The device below has only one cable connector, is this why it won't scan or enable viewing of the Freesat channels? It works fine with Freeview channels when I connect it to a TV aerial. When I connect my old Sky Q box it worked fine with both terrestrial and satellite channels. The above tells me that the new device is working Ok, it must be something to do with the satellite dish, I think.

Here's the new device: FULL HD COMBO Freeview HD& FreeSat Satellite Receiver HD RECORDER TV Set Top Box | eBay

Any help or advice will be well received.

Thanks in advance.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I dont think the SKYQ LNB is compatible, it'll need changing

$ky Q uses a special LNB which is incompatible with (al)most all other satellite receivers.

You'll need to have a different LNB fitted to the dish...

Sky Q

The good news is they are pretty cheap

Well, if you sell the existing lnb.. maybe nothing

£13.49 - 4WAY SKY QUAD LNB LMB MK4 ADAPTOR SKY + PLUS FREESAT UNIVERSAL SATELLITE 3D HD | eBay

Who other than a Sky-Q subscriber would want the wideband lnb ?

we get them trade so the trade must be selling them

sky have said they have changed to just their installers for q so not sure how that's working out for freelance sky installers - several seemed not happy at the recent CAI show plus there's IRS's but you still would use a system lnb I'd say (although they do a deal with installers if you make it q compatible - not a lot though)

there's other wideband tuner stbs too

edit - link removed just in case anyone clicks on it 'without' reading the above..

Last edited:
No. Just do it. Easy peasy. You'll be fine.:)
Unless you want to get some silicon grease or self amalgamating tape to thoroughly water/corrosion proof the F type connection to the LNB.

All good advice regarding the LNB.

But your new device is neither Freeview HD nor Freesat. The eBay seller has lied. It is just a basic free to air combo box. No one makes a combo box with Freeview and Freesat.

Expect these problems:

1. No, MHEG text on either terrestrial or satellite.
2. Only now and next EPG, not 7 day, on terrestrial or satellite.
3. EPG scrambled on terrestrial HD channels.

No, not for the LNB advice. That's what you need for your box for the FTA sat transmissions. It's the box 'advice' that's the 'problem'. Or is that what you meant?
Freesat do not transmit any programme material, just the nice 7/8 day EPG that you see on a 'proper' Freesat set and the programme providers pay Freesat to be on the Freesat EPG.
It appears that the vendor was 'stretching the truth' a bit in his description, although he does not show the Freesat logo.

Last edited:
Ok. I wanted to have access to Freeview and Freesat via the new box I bought. Will I be able to do this with the box and new LNB?

Apologies for my question, I'm a bit thick when it comes to TV stuff.

Freeview and Freesat are registered names, and as I said above, Freesat is specifically an EPG only. The Freesat EPG arranges most of the UK free to air (FTA) transmissions in a nice order for display and use. You WILL be able to receive the FTA sat transmissions (including the BBC/ITV etc) from the sat group at 28.2E (from where most of the UK programmes are transmitted) which include all of those on Freesat and Sky boxes and some other 'dross' programmes that are not on the Freesat EPG, but the EPG on your box will not necessarily be in the order in which you expect them and will more than likely be just now/next rather than the 7/8 day EPG of Freesat.
The box seller was a bit naughty in advertising it as if it were a Freesat box.
Check out the differences between Freesat, Sky and FTA. There used to be an 'idiots guide' here somewhere, but I can't find it just now.

Last edited:
If you read the
So I was advised to buy the wrong thing?

We have no way of knowing that as in your first post you didn't mention you wanted a box capable of using the freesat epg and setting series and accurate recordings via it. In general only approved freesat boxes and TV's will do that.

Get Freesat - buy a Freesat box or Freesat HDTV online

The box will allow viewing and recording of any free to air channels you can point a dish at. The sky dish is fixed on 28.2E but using multiple lnb's or a motorised dish you can find thousands of channels.

Hi All

I installed the new LNB and it doesn't work.

I can't scan for channels or anything, it's the same as the SKY Q that I just removed.

Hi.
I'd get an installer in to fix the dish, LNB, and cabling.

I can't scan for channels or anything,
Just exactly what do you mean? Do you mean that you cannot find the menu item to scan for channels, or do you mean that when you do scan for channels, the box does not 'see' any?
Do you get any error messages?
I installed the new LNB and it doesn't work.
Although possible, it is unlikely that the new LNB is faulty.

Try to be more precise than 'I can't scan for channels' to assist the people trying to assist you understand what could be wrong and advise accordingly.

Or do what logi says.:D

Also check that you haven't bent or crushed the middle copper core of the cable when you've screwed it into the box or lnb.

Good point. It's pretty easy to bend over the centre core of the thinner shotgun cable when screwing in the F type if you are not very careful.

Hi All. An update from me. I managed to get the new box to scan and show channels but out of the advertised 400-500 channels it only shows about twenty. I've messaged the Ebay seller and he says it's my fault and that it's down to the LNB and satellite dish setup.

The picture quality looks like a 90's tube TV.

Why oh why did I do this heheheheheh I should have made do with not having any TV channels to watch.

See post #17.

Hi All. An update from me. I managed to get the new box to scan and show channels but out of the advertised 400-500 channels it only shows about twenty. I've messaged the Ebay seller and he says it's my fault and that it's down to the LNB and satellite dish setup.

The picture quality looks like a 90's tube TV.

Why oh why did I do this heheheheheh I should have made do with not having any TV channels to watch.

you will scan some channels in even on a wide-band lnb - you did order the wrong one re your post #16

you just needed a standard quad lnb - - they are actually called a UNIVERSAL lnb- that [in Europe anyway], means it adheres to the standard you actually need

you will scan some channels in even on a wide-band lnb - you did order the wrong one re your post #16

you just needed a standard quad lnb - - they are actually called a UNIVERSAL lnb- that [in Europe anyway], means it adheres to the standard you actually need

So I need to buy another LNB ? I thought the one I was told to buy was Ok. Aarrrggghhh.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom