Unable to update firmware in Hitachi 42HDT52 Plasma TV

Howard Woodard

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am having audio issues with my Hitachi 42HDT52 Plasma TV – about 50%-60% of the time, there is no sound on the HDMI ports when initially turned on. I can get sound if, using the remote, I switch to another input source and then back to the HDMI source. I know that it's an old TV but among the much newer ones in my house, it is still the best picture of any of them.

I am unable to find a Hitachi web site with any support files, firmware, manuals, etc. but after contacting Hitachi Customer Service by email, I got the following reply:
================================================
"Hello Howard Woodard and thank you for contacting Hitachi,

Please see firmware update .zip file and instructions on how to proceed attached below. Keep in mind that the firmware needs to be placed on an SD card no greater than 1Gb in size, otherwise the TV may not recognize the storage device.

Thank you for choosing Hitachi,"

================================================

I unzipped the file that was included, and it contained a 12MB file, DW1UA116.E01, along with the update instructions. I had already discovered that the TV did not accept 9-pin SD cards and required the older 7-pin MMC cards that are 1GB or less, so I bought one on eBay that was 256MB.

The TV still gives no indication that it is finding the update -- I don't know if it's not finding the card or if it's finding the card but not recognizing the fw update file. I found one post where the person was successful back when the TV was newer, and Hitachi kept its support files online. However, it was an old post, did not contain any specifics about the file name, and the OP never responded to any of my inquiries.

Does anyone have any information/experience with this issue that could offer me some guidance? I'd sure appreciate it if so.

Last edited:
Does the manual state how the card should be formatted ?

Upvote 0
No, it doesn't, and Hitachi customer service said they didn't know - back in the day they would have just sent out the MMC card with the firmware already loaded.

I've tried FAT and FAT32 -- no difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try a factory reset on the TV first.
Are you following the steps in the manual to upgrade? eg entering the settings menu and initiating it?

It may be you already have the latest software, its not implausible that the TV had the latest version from the factory.

You could also try the zip file itself, without extracting it.

Upvote 0
Were Hitachi able to confirm if the TV had actually had a software update after release ?

If not, does the name of the file they sent you give any clues, when compared with the software version currently on the TV ?

Upvote 0
Were Hitachi able to confirm if the TV had actually had a software update after release ?

If not, does the name of the file they sent you give any clues, when compared with the software version currently on the TV ?
The Hitachi folks don't have any information on it. They said that back in the day they just sent out MMC cards with the fw already loaded to customers requiring a fw update. They had no documentation about type, format, etc.

My current firmware version is V0110.0001.

The fw file they gave me (download) is DW1UA116.E01.

** Btw, my original email to HCS asked if there was an updated fw for my TV. The closest thing that I got to an answer to that question was their reply with a link to dl a zip file that had this fw and installation instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.JPEG
    IMG_2008.JPEG
    297.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you have any luck with this?
I've got a similar plasma TV (Hitachi 42HDS52) that I'm trying to upgrade the software on as well but can't find it anywhere to download. Emails to Hitachi didn't get me anywhere. Would you mind sharing the contact info where you were able to get a response?

Upvote 0
My exchange with Hitachi customer service was through this email: [email protected]

I never got it to work - never recognized that there was a card inserted, much less that there was firmware on it.

Please post back if you get your to update - I still want to do mine.

Upvote 0
To be fair these TVs are around 15 years old. It is unlikely that a manufacturer will still be offering support. Hitachi, is really no longer a 'brand' and , in the UK at least, it is often just a sticker on a low budget TV manufactured by various far Eastern sources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom