Unable to stream media to LG 47LM620T

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Wingsurfer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Hi folks

My tv is connected to my laptop via Ethernet cable, it is able to 'see' the media files that are stored on the laptop but if I select one of them to play the tv takes about 30s to 'think' about it & then returns an error message along the lines of 'file is invalid' or 'file not supported'. This is the case regardless of the media type, whether it be video files, mp3 files, or jpeg pics.

The laptop has windows 8 OS, I have tried downloading the media server (I forget its name) from the support section of lg.com but no difference.

Help please

2. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Download and install the 'Serviio' DLNA server onto your laptop.

This is pretty much guaranteed to work (I've seen it working on your model) but if not then it can only really be a Windows 8 issue :(

3. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Thanks Jason I will try that. I am wondering however if another media server will make any difference. One of the servers I downloaded from the lg website last night was DLNA.

When you say it may be a W8 issue what sort of thing are you thinking about? I don't think it is an issue with W8 since I am able to stream media to other devices (my ps3).

Thank you for your advice & I will try Serviio when home from work & report back.

4. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Just a Microsoft joke really ;)

My experience is that when a new O/S (or even just an update) is released you can be certain you'll find something that used to work fine - now doesn't any more - hence blame that first!

5. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    The stock DLNA server built into Windows 8 isn't really very good, as it offers very little control over it as Jason says use Serviio instead or something like Mezzmo as replacement DLNA servers.

That said it should be working I have an LM670T and it works with the Win 8 DLNA server so there is something odd going on, but pin pointing what exactly would be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. My wild guess is that the Win8 DLNA server has applied the wrong compatibility profile to the IP address of the LG TV hence the problems, there's no way to control what profile gets used in Win8 unlike the above servers which allow you to manually set the right one.

6. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Ok, like I said I will try another DLNA server but to be honest I'm not holding much faith in that being a solution since I downloaded dlna & media link software from LG Smart Share: Smart TV Support | LG UK yesterday.

When you are talking about compatibility profiles, I have to be honest that I don't understand what you mean, my knowledge & understanding of networking great at the best of times. How would I go about checking & if needs be, rectifying?

7. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Just in addition, I've owned the TV since Saturday, bought ex-display from Curry's. Is it possible that some setting or other may have become screwed up in the store & the issue might be resolved with a factory reset of the TV (assuming it is possible to do a factory reset).

Also, it's not urgent that I get this resolved immediately. I can connect my laptop through HDMI easily enough & use the tv as a secondary monitor. I would just like to make full use of the tv as intended by the manufacturer & be able to do everything with just one remote, as I'm sure you appreciate.

Thank you to all who have replied & may reply in the future, I do appreciate the assistance greatly!

8. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Even the most expensive smart TV has very limited abilities in do the "smart" things.
    Use a media player instead.
    But it means you have to spend (small sum) and need another HDMI input to your TV and another power socket.
    If you can afford these it saves you alot of hassle, now and in future.

9. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Hi folks, just another update - I've got it sorted now. Yesterday I had downloaded plex BUT I didn't tell the server where my media is located, I never thought of it & expected it to just work - DOH!!

Thanks again for all the advice :eek:)

10. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Thanks celcius but I wouldn't have done that (saying that my ps3 operates as a media player) I just wanted to get the tv working as it should. Also, I see things like this as a challenge & an aid to the learning process.

11. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I used PS3 primarily as a media player when it first came out. It was the best thing at the price for the job at the time.
    But it has limitations. I had to convert most files in order to be playable on PS3.
    A dedicated media player, which appeared a couples of years later, and cheap, can play almost anything you throw at it so days of video conversion was gone. My PS3 had been dormant ever since.

12. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Yeah I did find that the ps3 wouldn't play a number of files & then I discovered ps3 media server, which does a conversion at the point of streaming. The only drawback was that it was hit & miss whether the ps3 would detect it/ it would detect the ps3 or not. Playback on the ps3 is flawless with it.

13. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    DLNA isn't a standard although it claims to be one, more of a loose guideline so lots of vendors take on DLNA don't work with all DLNA servers. To solve this DLNA servers apply compatibility profiles to the IP address of the DLNA device on the network trying to guess the correct one but they can get it wrong sometimes.

Plex is separate from DLNA so that where the wires were getting crossed, LG rebrand their Plex client as MediaLink for some confusing reason, also Plex can act as a DLNA server alongside it's own Plex system.