Unable to select Dolby PLllx

Special agent

As in the title I must have disturbed a setting on my old Denon 2808 and cannot select this anymore either via the standard button or in parameters. According to the manual for 5.1 surround I should use Dolby PLllx or DTS neo:6.
I can select the DTS mode so experimenting with that at the moment, this is a receiver which does not show an on screen menu so I have to fiddle around with the receiver screen view.
Any suggestions appreciated even if it’s a new avr suggestion

dante01

Distinguished Member
Firstly, how many speakers have you got in your setup? PLIIx creates pseudo 3.1 and not 5.1 and wouldn't be an option available to you if you've only a 6.1 setup. You'd be given the option top use PLII and not PLIIx if you've only a 6.1 setup.

Secondly, what are you attempting to apply the upmixing mode to? If the source include as many discrete channels as you've speakers to portray them then you'd not need or be given the option of applying such an upmixing mode. PLII isn't applicable to native 5.1 sources and PLIIx isn't applicable to native 7.1 sources.

DTS mode? Do you mean the native incoming audio is formatted as DTS? If so then it more than likely already a discrete 5.1 channel source and you'd not need to use upmixing in order to gey 5.1 audio. If uoi've a 7.1 setup then yes, a 5.1 source should allow you to apply PLIIx tp create 2 pseudo channels for the back surround speakers.

You need to give more information as to your setup and the source you are attempting to upmix?

Mr Wolf

You certainly can use PLIIx in a 6.1 set-up, I use it every day in my lounge system. The only thing you can’t do is use PLIIx Cinema mode for native 5.1 sources as that would be identical to the Dolby Digital EX mode. I therefore use PLIIx Music mode for 5.1 sources and PLIIx Cinema on stereo sources.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You certainly can use PLIIx in a 6.1 set-up, I use it every day in my lounge system. The only thing you can’t do is use PLIIx Cinema mode for native 5.1 sources as that would be identical to the Dolby Digital EX mode. I therefore use PLIIx Music mode for 5.1 sources and PLIIx Cinema on stereo sources.

I suggest you rrad what I posted. I didn't suggest that it couldn't be used with a 6.1 setup, but exactly where did the OP imply or say that he had a 5.16.1 setup? What I said is that you'd need more than a 5.1 setup and that the audio you are applying it to would need to have fewer channels than you'd get with a discrete 7.1 source. If he's only got a 6.1 setup then PLIIx will not be available as an upmixing option and if he has then it will only be available to use with 2 channel or 5.1 purde. If he hasn''t a 6.1 or a 7.1 swtuo then he'd only be given the option of using PLII. This will not be applicable to discrete 5.1 sources and only applicable to 2 channel sources.

What is Dolby Pro Logic IIx and how does it work?
Dolby Pro Logic IIx is a complete surround field solution featuring Movie and Music modes that function with 5.1 encoded material as well as stereo (LPCM) source material. It delivers a natural surround listening environment for simulating 5.1 from a stereo based LPCM input signal and can simulate 6th and 7th channels as an add on to a standard 5.1 Dolby Digital encoded track. This simulation is done by taking the 4th and 5th (Surround) channels and duplicating them to the Surround Back channels creating a full 7.1 theater environment.​

by default 2021-05-09 at 00.14.52.png

by default 2021-05-09 at 00.17.42.png

by default 2021-05-09 at 00.18.09.png

by default 2021-05-09 at 00.20.23.png

Whether you'd have access to Pro Logic IIx or hust Pro Logic III depends upon whether or not you've 2 back surrounds present or not. If you've only a 5.1 setup then it isn't an option available to you.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The only thing you can’t do is use PLIIx Cinema mode for native 5.1 sources as that would be identical to the Dolby Digital EX mode. I therefore use PLIIx Music mode for 5.1 sources and PLIIx Cinema on stereo sources.

PLIIx can be applied to native 5.1 soures. It will create 2 pseudo back surround channels if applied to a 5.1 source and if you've a 7.1 setup.

It is Pro Logic II that would not be applicable to a discrete 5.1 source and not PLIIx.

Dolby Digital EX isn't a mode and is a format. The format includes an additional channel matrixed into the 5.1 discrete channels that will give you 6.1 if decoded by a compatible AVR. You only get it if the audio is actually encoded with it and it is not an upmixing mode. You seldom if ever get it these days and it was superceded by 7 channel formats. You only really get or got it on DVDs.

What Is Dolby Digital EX?​

The Dolby Digital EX format is similar to Dolby Digital. It's used in the same way, but it adds a third surround channel speaker behind the listener, making it a 6.1 channel system. The channels are represented by six speakers (left, center, right, left surround, center back, and right surround) and a subwoofer (.1). This means there are both front and rear center channels. A home theater receiver with a Dolby Digital EX decoder is required to access the full 6.1 channel experience.

If you have a DVD, or another source content, that contains 6.1 channel EX encoding and your receiver doesn't have an EX decoder, the receiver defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1. The extra EX information is sorted and distributed (or mixed) within a 5.1 channel sound field. This means that the sixth (center back) channel information is placed into both the left and right surround channels as a mono signal. This creates a phantom rear center backchannel without the presence of a physical rear center speaker.

This isn't as accurate as having a dedicated rear center channel speaker, as the output level can't be adjusted independently of the left and right surround channels. However, you still hear the sound that was originally encoded for the center backchannel.

DTS had a similar format called DTS ES:

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Again, the OP needs to relate what speakers he has in his setup and the format (including the discrete number of channels present) he is wanting to upmix (apply PLIIx to)?

Special agent

Again, the OP needs to relate what speakers he has in his setup and the format (including the discrete number of channels present) he is wanting to upmix (apply PLIIx to)?
Apologies for the lack of information, I have a 5.1 system which is only used for Virgin tv or blu ray dvd, nothing else so the setting would be cinema mode.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you've only a 5.1 setup then you'd not be given the option to use Pro Logic IIx andf you should be given the option of using Pro Logic II instead. Pro Logic IIx creates pseudo 7.1 and you've only a 5.1 setup. Simply use PLII. It will be just as good at the upmixing if and when applied to any source not consisting of the full 5.1 channels your setup is equipped to portray.

The only difference between PLIIx and PLII is the fact that PLIIx will creade pseudo channels for a pair of back surround channels. You've no such speakers in your setup.

Last edited:

Special agent

If you've only a 5.1 setup then you'd not be given the option to use Pro Logic IIx andf you should be given the option of using Pro Logic II instead. Pro Logic IIx creates pseudo 7.1 and you've only a 5.1 setup. Simply use PLII. It will be just as good at the upmixing if and when applied to any source not consisting of the full 5.1 channels your setup is equipped to portray.

The only difference between PLIIx and PLII is the fact that PLIIx will creade pseudo channels for a pair of back surround channels. You've no such speakers in your setup.
Many thanks for the clarification, it’s probably getting close to receiver upgrade time as I am short on hdmi inputs, any thoughts on a the next step, I was pondering on Denon 3700 or used 3400, 3500, 3600.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The newer Atmos enabled models no longer include any form of Pro Logic and this has now been replaced by Dolby Surround Upmixing (not to be confused with the old Dolby Surround matrixed format).

The X3x00 models are a good option.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom