Unable to register a TomTom account

paulcroft

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help me get out of the Catch 22 Tom Tom has created so beautifully for me.

I have just bought a TomTom One XL Europe. Yesterday I tried to create an account with them but, for some reason, every time I try, it says my email address is an invalid format. Since I've used this address for more than seven years I think they're wrong! It says this, too, with two other valid email addresses I have.

I tried to ring them yesterday but they weren't taking phone calls, said it was a bank holiday!

So I tried to email them - and here's the Catch 22 - you cannot email them unless you have an account!!

I wondered if it was a UK thing. My daughter lives in the US so, with her permission, I tried to create an account using her email address. Bingo, no problem. Now I could email Tom Tom and ask them why my email addresses are unrecognised here.

Er, no. Their email system requires a product code in the format XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX. Nowhere, but nowhere, on the satnav itself, or on any of the other contents in the box, is there a product code in this format.

So, this morning, I telephoned them. Their auto answering system only offers two options, neither of which remotely resembles my difficulty. However, I opted for the one that at least mentions TomTom and was immediately informed that I'd have to wait for ever and a day because, of course, they are extremely busy and to please use their website or contact them by email. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I wonder, can anybody out there offer any meaningful suggestion as to what to do now? Quite apart from anything else I want my Safety Camera update but, of course, I cannot get this without an account and, judging from my current experience, I suspect that if I try and use my promotional code on the account opened using my daughter's email address, I'll get American safety cameras (assuming they have these things over there) or they'll just refuse because the account uses an American email addy.

Can anybody please help??

Thanks in advance
Paul

Hi I just phoned them on the uk number 08451610009411 as on the Tomtom website, went for the tec/serv option waited for 5mins and a man set up a 'dummy account', the service is challenging all 'co.uk' addresses. Have been told to attempt to register periodically until they solve the problem. It's a limited service but seem to be ok for what I need.

All sorted now, the TomTom site is once more accepting UK email addresses. Actually, in fairness to TomTom, once I finally got through to a person at their help desk I thought my problem was handled very well.
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom