Unable to record from ie1394 to toshiba dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by krsubbu, May 9, 2005.

1. krsubbu

krsubbu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Recently I bought Toshiba DVD Recorder RD-XS32 to transfer all my home video from Sony DCR HC350E. It has an IE 1394 port. I connected to Toshiba, it says connect only one device at time.

Ofcourse I can use analog. :mad: My basic purpose of getting this box got defeated. Is there any way out?

Kindly help.

Regards
    Subbu

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
  3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes, but that known problem with Sony camcorders and the Tosh was with the analogue inputs, not DV. (So, Subbu may see that problem if the analogue is used as a work around).
    I use my Sony (DCR PC-9) with the XS32 via DV in with no problems. If I try S-video, I often get the "copy protected" error detailed in the other thread.

This looks like a different problem... somehow the XS32 thinks you already have something connected. You weren't trying to do this while the XS32 was already recording something, were you?

Mark

4. krsubbu

krsubbu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

First I thought so. Then I unhocked all the connections except TV and the iLink cable. Still no luck. I was able to record using analog, though I got copy protect couple of times, but wasnt a major issue.

Since I bought this box last week, I thought it would have come with all thise fix. I plan to try S-Video today. Let me try my luck.

Just curious, what is the quality difference between S-Video/analog to IE1394? Is it 50% better? I use normal 29" TV.

Regards
    Subbu

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Subbu,

Very odd. For the "copy protected" problem at least this is a known problem so if you contact Toshiba they should be able to provide a fix. Hopefully they could fix your DV problem as well.

I haven't done much with the S-video, generally using DV. But from what I saw, the difference isn't large. But the DV should work; and you don't want to have to use the analogue and get that copy protection thing stopping you.

I notice I get the copy protection thing with analogue especially if my kids are filming - I don't think it likes rapid movement of the camera...

Mark

6. krsubbu

krsubbu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just called toshiba, They ask me to bring it to service center.. Thanks all for the help. Will update once its back from toshiba.

Subbu

7. krsubbu

krsubbu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Tuff Luck. I went to toshiba with my Handy Cam. They tested the DVD recorder after firmware upgrade. Later they concluded that, My Handcam doesnt have firewire port on the camera, but it has base station through which camera has all ports (s-video, AV and Firewire). That is why DVD Recorder recognising more than output and unable detrmine the input source.
    Called Sony, they say that is the design.

Now I have to live with S-Video or AV or return the DVD recorder. :(

REgards

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Ouch. I have an older Sony camcorder without a docking station, so don't see this. Though even if the connection goes via the docking station I don't understand why the XS32 sees this as 2 different devices? I guess it sees the 2 devices chained together and doesn't like that.

I wonder if other recorders have this problem. Anyone using one of these Sony camcorders with a docking station successfully (via DV-in) with a DVD recorder?

Mark

9. krsubbu

krsubbu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

Good new. I figured out the problem. Culprit was cable. I tried with S-Video, I wasn't convinced with the quality. And also I started getting frequent copy protected error for home video. I was frustrated. I took back the box and my hand cam all together to store. There first I got the sales man to try my hand cam on a Sony DVD recorder. Possible that Sony would recognise its own brand. No luck. Finally I bought another fire wire cable there it self and tried it worked. And on Toshiba as well.

And the quality of the video is awesome. On scale of 10, analog is 3 and video is 10. Its just unbeatable and no copy protection error. All my problem resolved.

So no problem with docking station. That's what I was wondering since beginning since it is a passive device.

regards
    Subbu

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Subbu,

Glad you are sorted! Amazing that it was the cable, I would not have thought of that.

Mark

11. chopster

chopster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know what cable to buy. I am having the same problem as KRsubbu, and wonder if it was my cable that is causing it.