unable to play Dolby Atmos demo video on my blu ray player from USB

batman98

Novice Member
Reaction score
I downloaded dolby atmos videos from the net and i tried to play them using USB on the blu ray player i got no audio.
i get dolby atmos from the blu ray discs.how can i solve it?
basically i have 7.1 setup with marrantz SR 6012 with pioneer blu ray player BDP-120
the player plays atmos when played via a blu ray cd but when i play a dolby video from USB i dont get any sound
i get dts hd via USB. i get dolby atmos in m2TS format not in mkv fromat

Last edited:
I downloaded dolby atmos videos from the net and i tried to play them using USB on the blu ray player i got no audio.
What player? What file type?
N.B. Panasonic players do not play atmos from .mkv files

What player? What file type?
N.B. Panasonic players do not play atmos from .mkv files
i downloaded mkv atmos demo video and tried to play using usb into pioneer BDPbluray player. the video plays with no audio. but i get the atmos from m2TS videos using USB

basically i have 7.1 setup
You need a minimum of 5.1.2. A 7.1 comprises of three fronts, two surrounds, two rear surrounds and a sub woofer. There are no speakers in the Atmos domain in a 7.1 layout. Even though you can play a Dolby Atmos encoded disc it will still only play the base Dolby TrueHD soundtrack if there are no Atmos speakers present.

Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup - Dolby

i downloaded mkv atmos demo video and tried to play using usb into pioneer BDPbluray player. the video plays with no audio. but i get the atmos from m2TS videos using USB
Looks like if you want files to play audio with True HD (atmos) soundtracks you will need to use .m2ts files.

basically i have 7.1 setup with marrantz SR 6012 with pioneer blu ray player BDP-120
the player plays atmos when played via a blu ray cd but when i play a dolby video from USB i dont get any sound
i get dts hd via USB. i get dolby atmos in m2TS format not in mkv fromat

You need a minimum of two extra speakers,. Front left height and front right height,

Ideally two more Rear left height and rear right out height, and enough power amp outputs to power all off them. my am needs a seperate power amp for the two rear height speakers.

You need a minimum of 5.1.2. A 7.1 comprises of three fronts, two surrounds, two rear surrounds and a sub woofer. There are no speakers in the Atmos domain in a 7.1 layout. Even though you can play a Dolby Atmos encoded disc it will still only play the base Dolby TrueHD soundtrack if there are no Atmos speakers present.

Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup - Dolby
[/QUOT
I do have 2 ceileing speakers. the setup isnt an issue

You need a minimum of two extra speakers,. Front left height and front right height,

Ideally two more Rear left height and rear right out height, and enough power amp outputs to power all off them. my am needs a seperate power amp for the two rear height speakers.
I do have 2 ceileing speakers. the setup isnt an issue

are there any blu ray players that play dolby atmos via USB
Yours does if you use the right file type....

.mkv is commonly used for pirated movies. Either players don't play the HD audio for that reason or alternatively manufacturers have decided not to pay licensing fees for the audio in .mkv filetype but have for .m2ts as that is the filetype used on blu-ray.

Yours does if you use the right file type....

.mkv is commonly used for pirated movies. Either players don't play the HD audio for that reason or alternatively manufacturers have decided not to pay licensing fees for the audio in .mkv filetype but have for .m2ts as that is the filetype used on blu-ray.
i do get DTS-HD audio from my MKV files.its just these downloaded movies and demo videos with atmos i have an issue
yeah but any better player which plays atmos audio from the .mkv format?
and how do i convert the .MKV into .m2ts?

Last edited:
i do get DTS-HD audio from my MKV files.its just these downloaded movies and demo videos with atmos i have an issue
yeah but any better player which plays atmos audio from the .mkv format?
and how do i convert the .MKV into .m2ts?

MKV is a container within which the video may or may not be .m2ts,

As it audio you need to know about you have to check the contained audio stream in the container has the required Atmos Metadata

Download and install the version of Mediainfo for your OS

If windows

Open a file in mediainfo. Select view - Tree - export as text. Open the text in notepad - select all and copy to clipboard, (CRTL +C),

Create a reply here and paste the text (crt + V) and post so we can see what is in the container

I have tried this myself on Samsung M7500 player... and failed, the advice I was given was it was not intended to play ATMOS through USB but disc only.
So now use a dedicated media player - Egreat A8, no need to run through any software either.
Put the file on a USB or move across to a NAS, Egreat picks it up, plays and ATMOS lights up on the AV receiver.

The trouble is when you start stripping and filtering using software you lose quality of the actual footage... It is best in raw format, containing all audio codecs available.
ATMOS files are fairly big, esp in 4k MKV.

Hope that helps :)

MKV is a container within which the video may or may not be .m2ts,

As it audio you need to know about you have to check the contained audio stream in the container has the required Atmos Metadata

Download and install the version of Mediainfo for your OS

If windows

Open a file in mediainfo. Select view - Tree - export as text. Open the text in notepad - select all and copy to clipboard, (CRTL +C),

Create a reply here and paste the text (crt + V) and post so we can see what is in the container
General
Unique ID : 204756960649638254555385641663587130930 (0x9A0AC1954107F470A0583032EF3F9E32)
Complete name : C:\Users\sunay\Downloads\Dolby_Atmos_Natures_Fury_1920x1080_ATMOS_71-thedigitaltheater.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 336 MiB
Duration : 1 min 51 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 25.4 Mb/s
Movie name : Nature's Fury - ATMOS - thedigitaltheater.com
Encoded date : UTC 2019-01-22 15:38:12
Writing application : DVDFab 11.0.1.4
Writing library : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 1 min 50 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 19.1 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 30.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.384
Stream size : 252 MiB (75%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 1 min 51 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 6 320 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 9 849 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 83.8 MiB (25%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Number of dynamic objects : 15
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE

Menu
00:00:00.000 : en:(01)00:00:00:000

That all looks as it should except the lfe - Subwoofer shows an error. The video is not m2ts but H264/AVC (aka AVC - advanced video codec).

Try changing the container to .mp4 using AVIdemux.

You must have a decoder with Dolby Atmos to recode the atmos metadata and route it to the atmos height speakers.

using video converters like tsmuxer or others cause decrease in overall quality?

i tried once tsmuxer i felt it decreased the quality

Changing a container has no effect on quality. How could it it only takes a few mins ? Recoding HD video can take hours. Tsmuxer retains the original bitrate so there is no quality reduction.

using video converters like tsmuxer or others cause decrease in overall quality?

They do not. Converting a MKV container to .mp4 is lossless. Video and audio bitrate and therefore the size is unaltered. Because neither audio or video is recoded it' only takes a few minutes. Some media players prefer different container types to others.

Changing a container has no effect on quality. How could it it only takes a few mins ? Recoding HD video can take hours. Tsmuxer retains the original bitrate so there is no quality reduction.
can i do it with atmos sound track?

can i do it with atmos sound track?

Atmos is not a seperate sound track it's a digital data stream on top of a Dolby Digital + conventional multichannel stream (known as Atmos metadata). It contains 3D sound placement data for the Atmos height speakers. You need a amplifier that has wired connections to the height speakers.

You can buy speakers that sit on top of existing floor standing front right and front left speakers.

They bounce the sound off the ceiling but are not as effective as in ceiling mounted speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom