Question Unable to make Sony BDP-S1200 region free

logix

Novice Member
I've just bought a second hand Sony BDP-S1200 (European region-2) Blu-Ray player and wanted to make it DVD region-free but am unable to do so despite confirmations here and here that it can be done.
I've previously made a Sony BDP-S590 (also region 2) region-free, using an all-for-one URC-7960, so I've used the same remote, reprogramming the codes following the instructions below (found in the Sony BDP S3100 multiregion DVD hack thread where my player is mentioned and confirmed to work with different region DVD discs), but alas no success (still unable to play region-1 USA DVDs):

Programming the all-for-one remote
1. Hold the “magic button” until the TV LED flashes twice.
2. Switch to DVD by pressing the DVD button.
3. Press 0533 (DVD LED flashes twice) NOTE: this code did nothing for me, but replacing it with 1516 resulted in the tray closing and the Blu-Ray player powering down after the "1 2 3 4 5" button sequence was sent from the remote. Still, the player didn't become region-free (even after disconnecting the power plug for a few seconds and powering it on again).

4. Hold the magic button until the DVD LED flashes twice.
5. Press 994 (DVD LED flashes twice)
6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
7. Press 00189
8. Press 1 (This sets it to key 1 – DVD LED flashes twice, if not repeat steps 4 to 8)

9. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
10. Press 994 (DVD LED flashes twice)
11. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
12. Press 00255
13. Press 2 (this sets it to key 2 - DVD LED flashes twice)

14. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
15. Press 994 (DVD LED flashes twice)
16. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
17. Press 00095
18. Press 3 (this sets it to key 3 - DVD LED flashes twice)

19. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
20. Press 994 (DVD LED flashes twice)
21. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
22. Press 00221
23. Press 4 (this sets it to key 4 - DVD LED flashes twice)

24. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
25. Press 994 (DVD LED flashes twice)
26. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
27. Press 00079
28. Press 5 (this sets it to key 5 - DVD LED flashes twice)

Transmitting the unlock codes to the DVD player
1. Use the Sony remote that came with the player to bring the player out of standby (i.e. turn in ON) and make sure there isn't a disc in it.
2. Make sure you have a clear line of sight with the S3100. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the OneForAll remote, one after each other, firmly and with a slight delay between the numbers. There is nothing to indicate that it has worked at this stage.
3. Put the player back into standby (i.e. turn it OFF) with the Sony remote.
4. Hard reboot machine by unplugging it completely from the power, after a few seconds plug it back in
5. Next time you turn on the player it should be region free for DVD playback.
6. If this doesn’t work the first time it is worth trying again as it is easy to get part of the process wrong.

I tried a bunch of different codes in part 3 (I believe this is the code that makes the Blu-Ray player say "hey, that's me... I'm paying attention from now on and will perform the next commands", but only 1516 worked. Actually I got this code confirmed by programming the universal remote to read the "power" button from the Sony remote, then using the "what is my setup code again?" code which flashes the remote's LED to indicate the used device code.
I found information on how to do that by downloading the "URC-7960 extra features" PDF manual from the All-for-one website (scroll down to the "Download manual" section).
Also, you can look up the code on all for one's site (direct link) which confirms this as shown in this screenshot:
allforone_s1200code_lookup.png

So what could I be doing wrong? I've gone through the procedure many times, to ensure I haven't pressed the wrong buttons.
The Blu-Ray player seems to otherwise work just fine.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom